Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairphone

Options
  • 22-05-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Anybody hear about this? A "fair-trade phone" company, that aims to "bring a fair smartphone to the market – one designed and produced with minimal harm to people and planet". This the design they have in mind:
    blue-screen-standing.png
    Some specs:
    Network Type_______GSM850/900/1800/1900MHZ
    WCDMA____________900/2100MHz
    OS________________Android 4.2
    Chipset____________MTK6589M (quad-core) 1.2 Ghz
    System Memory_____16GB + 1GB (RAM)
    Dimensions (mm)____123*64.5*9.8mm
    Primary Screen______4.3 qHD (960x540 pixels)
    Glass______________Dragontrail Glass
    Primary Camera_____8MP AF (stabilization + image sensor)
    Secondary Camera__1.3 megapixels
    Battery____________2000mAh (Replaceable battery)
    Weight________________165 g
    SAR rating (indication)___0.318 W/Kg

More details here.

Anybody getting one?
    I have a Huawei G300, how does this fairphone compare?

EDIT: Price is €325

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

ill believe it when i see it.

Pre-orders limited to Europe. We ship in Fall.
    We need 5,000 orders to start production!
    €325,00 Incl. Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Spipov wrote: »
    ill believe it when i see it.

Pre-orders limited to Europe. We ship in Fall.
    We need 5,000 orders to start production!
    €325,00 Incl. Tax

Why do you doubt it will be produced? Its basically a kickstarter, but not on kickstarter (although, maybe that's the issue for you?)

Assuming that this phone was available on the market now, how does it compare at the €325 price? How does it stack up to a Samsung Galaxy S3?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why do you doubt it will be produced? Its basically a kickstarter, but not on kickstarter (although, maybe that's the issue for you?)

Assuming that this phone was available on the market now, how does it compare at the €325 price? How does it stack up to a Samsung Galaxy S3?

GS3 has a 720p panel which destroys this thing. Has great rom support too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What OS is it running? I'd say they'd have to run this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

The_B_Man wrote: »
    What OS is it running? I'd say they'd have to run this one!!

Android 4.2 is that the same as the nexus 4?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    GS3 has a 720p panel which destroys this thing. Has great rom support too.

My G300 is only 480x800 (apparently) and I don't notice that much of a difference when I compare it to a GS3 (S3 is obviously better, but not by much). Still, lack of ROM support would be an issue if, for nothing else, than I hate the standard android, numberless, battery indicator. With only 5000 of these floating around the EU it will probably be a while before roms come out.

They are at 74% with 14 days to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

G300 is only a 4", gs3 is 4.8 and yet still has a far better pixel density. Once you get used to a large 720p or 1080p panel something like the above is just disappointing. G300 is a great phone, but its for the budget market.

This phone, its a novel idea but it can't compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

200 and looks to be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Media999 wrote: »

Looks good for the price, Might consider this instead of the jiayu g4

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

You lads are missing the point.

This phone isn't about the technical specifications of the hardware.

It's about sourcing ethical minerals, parts and labour to build a smartphone.

If you don't care about ethics then this isn't the phone for you (that's not the same as saying you must buy it if you are concerned with ethics BTW).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

fleet wrote: »
    You lads are missing the point.

This phone isn't about the technical specifications of the hardware.

It's about sourcing ethical minerals, parts and labour to build a smartphone.

If you don't care about ethics then this isn't the phone for you (that's not the same as saying you must buy it if you are concerned with ethics BTW).

You're on a technology board. Most people who are here are interested in technology. There may be people who would love a fair trade phone but they don't want to compromise on the tech as this is important to them.

Nolimits wrote: »
    You're on a technology board. Most people who are here are interested in technology. There may be people who would love a fair trade phone but they don't want to compromise on the tech as this is important to them.

I think the point he is making is that as this phone is being made ethically with ethical labour etc. it's going to be more expensive than buying a phone with similar specs elsewhere, so you should only consider buying this if the ethics are important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Looks good for the price, Might consider this instead of the jiayu g4

Way better than the Jaiyu. Look on Youtube and youll see. Id go with this one anyway.

Nolimits wrote: »
    I think the point he is making is that as this phone is being made ethically with ethical labour etc. it's going to be more expensive than buying a phone with similar specs elsewhere, so you should only consider buying this if the ethics are important to you.

I think there is there is room for both on this thread.
    I am interested in this phone because it is supposedly ethically sourced, but I am also interested in how good it is. I am willing to pay more for an ethical phone, but I would like to know how much more I am paying.

Media999 wrote: »

Coming from China. How much would customs be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

About 46 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Seems to be picking up steam
    17,377 of 25,000
    Fairphones sold
    http://www.fairphone.com/

I'm interested in the concept, and I think people are slowly becoming more conscious of the treatment of the people who produce our luxury goods.

I'd consider buying one, its interesting that the phone has been designed to allow for easy replacement of components -or upgrading of existing ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

40,000+ sold now and more orders being taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Fairphone 2 (first modular smartphone)

http://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone2.html

€530 preorder.

Fairphone 2 (first modular smartphone)

http://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone2.html

€530 preorder.

Have one ordered, mainly for running Sailfish OS on because my Jolla starting to fall apart. Will post a few pics when it arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

Have one ordered, mainly for running Sailfish OS on because my Jolla starting to fall apart. Will post a few pics when it arrives

Any way to get hands on with one of these? I'm extremely interested but just want to get a feel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

There is a good interview about Fairphone 2 in this podcast:

LPX show episode 5

jay_k wrote: »
    Any way to get hands on with one of these? I'm extremely interested but just want to get a feel for it.

Depens. How close are you to Cork?

Mine arrived the other day, though I horsed Sailfish OS onto it pretty much straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

Anyone here use the Fairphone 2?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Anyone use a Fairphone 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

Diairist wrote: »
    Anyone use a Fairphone 3?

Hi Diairist. No. I've a FP2 (running Ubuntu Touch) but when I need a new phone - the FP3 would be my choice.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bad phone all round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    bad phone all round

Is this your opinion of the specs or your personal experience of the FP/FP2?
    If it's the latter, I expect you to be able to supply us with the build number from the "About Phone" section of the Phone Settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fairphone 5 is available to pre-order at €699. https://shop.fairphone.com/shop/fairphone-5-273#attr=97

Anyone have experiences of them in the past few years?

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Advertisement