Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading films

• 22-05-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

My internet provider is Sky and himself has been downloading a few films off Pirate bay and Axxo's, the thing is the contract for the internet is in my name not his :rolleyes:
    My question is can I be prosecuted even if he owned up and admitted it was him not me doing the downloading if there was an issue to arise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

ibtl

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

xii wrote: »
    ibtl

Why I couldn't find any rules in the charter rules preventing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

IF there was a prosecution, and it's a big if, it would be the account holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Meshel wrote: »
    My internet provider is Sky and himself has been downloading a few films off Pirate bay and Axxo's, the thing is the contract for the internet is in my name not his :rolleyes:
    My question is can I be prosecuted even if he owned up and admitted it was him not me doing the downloading if there was an issue to arise?

there wouldn't be enough courts in the land and besides the law here is vague on the subject when it comes to individuals which is why the music companies dragged a number of Irish ISP's to court (in 09?) to force them to bring in the 3 strikes policy to which only Eircom bowed (which in turn is currently being challenged in the courts at the moment by the data commissioner). There is a new law (SOPA) but again that only affects intermediaries/ISP's. Bottom line no one knows but if you are worried about this just say it to him, a few movies aint worth the stress.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm afraid we're not here to give legal advice, however I would suggest the account holder should be more careful about what the net connection is used for

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement