Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA Calculationn conundrum

• 22-05-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there!

I am on a 3.05 right now on my course and I envisage getting an A2 in my final bit of work, can anyone tell me what that would bring me up to in a QCA? Thank you!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

You have to provide more information. What's the total weighting of the components you've completed and what's the weighting of the components remaining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Polar Ice wrote: »
    You have to provide more information. What's the total weighting of the components you've completed and what's the weighting of the components remaining?

My final component is a placement worth 15 credits. How would I calculate / recognise the first piece you asked for? is it referred to as something on the results page like QC...Something or credited hours? My qcs is 549 .60 thanks for replying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Credits don't directly correspond to weighting. Normally first year isn't weighted towards your QCA. In some courses, second year isn't weighted too.

You need to find out, preferably from someone who can ensure you a correct answer like the course director, what the weighting of each semester of your course is. Once you know the weighting, then you can determine how much you've completed and how much is remaining. Then you can figure out what grades you'd require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

easiest solution: post up what course you are doing (and year - I'm guessing final year) and someone will be able to find the information.

If you want to find out yourself:

Go to the course page and find a description of the module - a simple google search. In this example I have taken Mechanical Engineering.

This tells you the weighting (1 in year 2 and then 2 for years 3 and 4) along with the credits of each module and year.

There is a total of 240 weighted credits in Mechanical Engineering. If we take the FYP - it is worth 12 credits at a weighting of 2. This means it gives you a total of 24 weighted credits or counts for 10% of your final grade.

New QCA = Old QCA + ((weighted credits * Grade)/(total course credits))

i.e New QCA = 3.05 + ((24 * 3.6)/240) = 3.05 + 0.36 = 3.41

In your example (assuming total course credits are also 240)

New QCA - 3.05 + ((15 * 3.6)/240) = 3.05 + 0.225 = 3.27

Advertisement