Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comrades

Options
  • 22-05-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Anybody know of anywhere online to watch Comrades Ultra on June 2nd ??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Read this on another forum, doesn't really answer the question but hope it's of some use.
    In SA, the entire race- all 12hrs is televised live on SABC TV 2 channel, also available on Dstv bouquet. Not sure if there is internet streaming of this channel by SABC for folks outside ZA or from the comrades site itself- the comrades website allows internet users to track a runner as he / she crosses the 5 Championchip mats 7 finish en route. Internet user has to know the runner's comrades race no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck with this Opus!
    You must be getting excited now...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck with this Opus!
    You must be getting excited now...?

+1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Yep. Best of luck opus. I'm sure it will be an amazing experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Best of luck in the race opus. I've been slightly obssessed with all things Comrades for years now. Look forward to hearing your first hand experience of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're probably not travelling for a few days Opus, but very best of luck. Hope you do a write-up afterwards. Would love to hear how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good luck Opus. Enjoy every second of the experience!

Thanks for the good wishes :) Yup it's almost time, I'm leaving for Durban on Thur afternoon. Hopefully things will work out ok for Comrades but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive!

For anyone who's interested, based on advice from the Comrades ambassador for Ireland, this was the race plan I came up with last xmas which I worked my way through since.
    Jan 11th - Art O'Neill challenge 52k
    Jan 27th - Dungarvan 10m
    16th Feb - Donadea 50k
    3rd Mar - Ballycotton 10m
    16th Mar - Tralee marathon
    18th Mar - Mallow 10m
    7th April - Connemara ultra
    21th April - Leipzig marathon
    6th May - Belfast marathon
    11th May - Bandon half marathon
    16th May - Cheetah Run
    19th May - Emer Casey 10k
    2nd June - Comrades!!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Best of luck Opus, enjoy to post race Braai!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

3 marathons and 3 ultras since the start of the year? Opus, you slacker!

No need to wish you good luck, you'll do great even without. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Great interview with Bruce Fordyce on marathon talk about this , 9 times winner and only person to post identical finish times. gives a great overview of the race numbering etc. Would love to do it one day. An ultra with 15k people, 1 million spectators, 9 hours of live tv coverage on nearly every channel.

http://www.marathontalk.com/podcast/episode_38_bruce_fordyce_part_one.php
    http://www.marathontalk.com/podcast/episode_39_bruce_fordyce_part_two.php

Best of luck opus. Really looking forward to your race report. Don't forget that foreign runners have a fasttrack line for registration so you don't have to que for an hour plus. You have probably listened to this but top 10 tips seem like a good idea to listen to if you haven't.

http://www.marathontalk.com/podcast/episode_73_comrades.php

Very quick update from me, got the Bill Rowan medal I was after but around 40 mins slower than I'd planned. First half was grand but almost melted in the second half when it hit 31C! Caused havok as a shed load of people missed the 12 hour cutoff.

I've new found respect for the people who ran Boston last year now!

Will write up something on the whole experience when I get back from holidays in a few weeks. Now is the time for a feed of food & drink :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done opus, fantastic stuff. Watched some of it and it looked bloody hot!!!

Enjoy the break, one in a lifetime experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Congratulations, well done running such a race in those conditions

Race report is in the reports tread here. Sorry if it's a bit disjointed, I wrote it in dribs & drabs over the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Great report, it sounds tough but amazing...
    I think Mr Stew and I need to break it to the boys that their college fund has become the Comrades fund:)

Absolutely delighted for you, a wonderful result in what seemed to be tougher than usual conditions, well done, enjoy the rest now.

Marthastew wrote: »
    I think Mr Stew and I need to break it to the boys that their college fund has become the Comrades fund:)

Definitely think you should, I saw your mastery of pacing at the Donadea 50k so just a matter of keeping it going for another while :)

Seems I've no choice but to go back next year as it was pointed out to me on the UK Runner's World forum that there's only one change to pick up a back-to-back medal.

Got the latest Comrades email newsletter yesterday & see I was particularly lucky with that Sunday, the guy who's now run 40 consecutive races is just amazing!
    2013 will be remembered as one of the toughest Comrades Marathons. The searing heat and strong winds saw many runners struggling their way from Durban to ‘Maritzburg.

Here are 7 of our (many) memorable Comrades 2013 moments:

- South African Claude Moshiywa won the 2013 Comrades, in a time of 05:32:09. He crossed the finish line a comfortable 9 minutes ahead of second placed Jonas Buud (Sweden).
    - Russian twin Elena Nurgalieva won her 8th Comrades Marathon. She is now just one win away from equaling Bruce Fordyce’s 9-win record.
    - Defending champion Ludwick Mamabolo finished in 4th place, after spending the last year fighting doping allegations from the 2012 race.
    - Charne Bosman was the first South African women across the line, in 5th place. She was just pipped at the finish line by Scottish runner, Joasia Zakrzewski.
    - Alan Robb ran his 40th consecutive Comrades Marathon. An inspiration to us all!
    - 14 336 out of 19 907 entrants started the race. Only 10 188 finished.
    - Around 7000 runners poured over the finish line in the last 90 minutes.

Congratulations to every runner who tackled the 2013 Comrades Marathon!

Advertisement