Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope proclaims all redeemed, even atheists.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

C'mon, you know you'll like it.

. . .
    GWFNJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Sarky wrote: »
    Thanks but I'll just wait for another of Actor's re-reg accounts to slip up and obsess over sodomy far too much for any straight man over here.

I bet you one monkey towards your project that his latest re-reg is Festus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

That's exactly what they claimed when I was growing up, and why we all had to be preached to and saved. Also if you heard the word of god and rejected it you go to hell. That still seems to be the case.

Ah thank goodness for that! I was a bit worried after reading the OP. I'd rather go to hell than be stuck listening to Christian nonsense for all eternity! It's bad enough having to hear about it in this life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So the pope thinks we're swell. Shame he doesn't seem to take issue with his boss' intent to expose us to an eternity of torture so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Don't know. Festus seems to be more uptight about abstinence. Time will tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

seamus wrote: »
    Since evangelicalism is a core tenat of Christianity is stands to reason then that the christian God's intention is to maximise the about of people he sends to hell by maximising the amount of people who may possibly reject christian doctrine.

Pretty sure that was the intention behind an Islamic spam email I got a few years ago. Very well written, with a brief introduction to the basics of the faith, then the kicker at the end that once you knew of Allah and didn't follow him, you were doomed :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

endacl wrote: »
    Ye're good for Valhalla too lads and ladies. Just be sure to die in battle.

Do Divisional Junior B hurling league matches count as "in battle", because I'll have no problem getting into Valhalla if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ninja900 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was the intention behind an Islamic spam email I got a few years ago. Very well written, with a brief introduction to the basics of the faith, then the kicker at the end that once you knew of Allah and didn't follow him, you were doomed :rolleyes:
    You are now breathing and blinking manually... That has a real effect at least!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

We are still going to hell
    ...as a Vatican spokesman pointed out last Friday:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/23/heaven-for-atheists-pope-sparks-debate/
    Mr Rosica wrote:
    The Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who aware of the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    ...as a Vatican spokesman pointed out last Friday:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/23/heaven-for-atheists-pope-sparks-debate/
    The Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who aware of the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

So that's where their early withdrawal idea comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I thought the pope was infallible in stuff like this, so if he says we're redeemed then we're redeemed and Rosica can go whistle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe the pop is not infallible ...any more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    I thought the pope was infallible in stuff like this, so if he says we're redeemed then we're redeemed and Rosica can go whistle.

Are we redeemed or are we redeemable?

Is there coupon clipping involved? If so they can feck off as life is too short for that crap. Actually, they can just feck off regardless of the coupon situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The wife gave me the same ultimatum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I believe the pop is not infallible ...any more :D

ABBA were good, but this present day sh1te is awful.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    ABBA were good, but this present day sh1te is awful.

Read there last week that Agnetha reckons ABBA weren't all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's semantics though, redeemed isn't the same as saved according to them so Papal infallibility doesn't really come into it. Jesus died for our sins so we are redeemed but to be saved we have to have faith and all the rest of the bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's semantics though, redeemed isn't the same as saved according to them so Papal infallibility doesn't really come into it. Jesus died for our sins so we are redeemed but to be saved we have to have faith and all the rest of the bollocks.

Ah, I was confused by the religious double-speak. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] Papal infallibility doesn't really come into it. Jesus died for our sins so we are redeemed but to be saved we have to have faith and all the rest of the bollocks.
    The second bit is correct, but the first bit is wrong -- the pope can define whatever religious and moral dogma he likes and people who want to call themselves "catholic", in the sense defined by the Vatican, are required to believe it. Technically, he could replumb the entire original-sin/redemption/salvation state-machine, but that's unlikely.

And just on that, it would certainly be interesting to find out how many catholics could differentiate between "redemption" and "salvation". I'll put my finger in the air and say that, at most, maybe 10% can.

Add yes, and very rarely. Not remove, delete or change.

So basically there is no provision for catholicism to remove the bits that contradict the other bits then?

Kind of short-sighted that.
    Ah, but you know, imperfect knowledge of food safety and that. It was a different time, we're not bound by those old rules. Apart from the one about the gays, obviously, that's totally relevant.

And the one about killing infidels and unbelievers. They're not really people don't you know, so it's not actually murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

robindch wrote: »
    And just on that, it would certainly be interesting to find out how many catholics could differentiate between "redemption" and "salvation". I'll put my finger in the air and say that, at most, maybe 10% can.

50% of which are Actor sock-puppets :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Popular Hardback

You have to laugh about the irony of a club of non stamp collectors being obsessed with stamp collecting while enforcing blanket dismissals of the the opinion of knowledge of any eminent stamp collectors. Atheism + at it's finest.

• Moderators Posts: 51,864 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

You have to laugh about the irony of a club of non stamp collectors being obsessed with stamp collecting while enforcing blanket dismissals of the the opinion of knowledge of any eminent stamp collectors. Atheism + at it's finest.

255705.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

You have to laugh when people who are thick enough to believe their imaginary friends are real get uptight enough about those clever enough to shed those misconceptions to try their, very weak, attempts at sarcasm.

I've personally no problem with religious believers, its just when, like in your post I quoted, they get all superior and condescending at us that I get annoyed.

I think you'll find most of us were inducted into the Philately Fraternity at a young age but apparently unlike most stamp collectors we read the accompanying literature and worked out that collecting stamps and sticking them in books is not the actual purpose of stamps yet Philately HQ (Rome Branch) insists on telling our government to outlaw any means of communication which doesn't involve sticking a stamp in a book - which by the way as a method of communication is pants.

So what exactly has been dismissed in error?
    It's only ironic if there's an error being made.

You have to laugh when people who are thick enough to believe their imaginary friends are real get uptight enough about those clever enough to shed those misconceptions to try their, very weak, attempts at sarcasm.

I've personally no problem with religious believers, its just when, like in your post I quoted, they get all superior and condescending at us that I get annoyed.

Calm down, no need to get all sarcastic, superior and condescending. More irony.

irony.

I do not think this word means what you think it means.

Calm down, no need to get all sarcastic, superior and condescending. More irony.

tumblr_m81efoicir1r927dro1_500-gif.jpg

Edit : Curses you Ban!

Jernal wrote: »
    So what exactly has been dismissed in error?
    It's only ironic if there's an error being made.

Ask a non stamp collector, they're the only certified experts on stamp collecting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Incorrect. Limbo is not, and never was Catholic doctrine. It was, and still is, mere speculation among theologians. Nothing more, nothing less. Benedict merely restated this position, again selective reporting put a different spin on it, as they do with everything a Pope says.

Isn't all "theology" mere speculation among theologians, at the end of the day, like?

Ask a non stamp collector, they're the only certified experts on stamp collecting here.

I'm asking you though.
    What was erroneous in their dismissals?

This is a discussion forum either quit the vacuous one liner replies or your time on this forum will be a short one.

I'm asking you though.
    What was erroneous in their dismissals?

This is a discussion forum either quit the vacuous one liner replies or your time on this forum will be a short one.

Issue the order "discuss", and then wave a stick about, lol, nah.

I'll leave you all to agree with one another in the bizarre existence of non stamp collecting as a hobby and atheism +.

Banned already? Blimey, I must have been on to something there.

So, that new pope, eh? Some pretty daft stuff he's proclaiming, I'd say...

Sarky wrote: »
    Banned already? Blimey, I must have been on to something there.

I thought last time you complained about not being allowed to keep him. You even promised to feed him and bring him for walks.
    Maybe next time. . .
    I'm confused. :confused:

Panic over - we are all still going to hell. :D
    The Vatican has just announced that, despite what Pope Francis said in his homily earlier this week, atheists are still going to hell.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/story/ent/manhattan_diary/vatican-corrects-infallible-pope-atheists-will-still-burn-in-hell-208987111.html#ixzz2UWEq0efy
    Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

• Moderators Posts: 51,864 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

yay!!!!! :D:D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Bannasidhe wrote: »

My favourite line in the irishcentral story:
    If I was Pope Francis, I'd be employing a food tester right about now.

I've always reckoned that JP I was inhumed. I wonder will Pope Francis be brave enough to start poking around in the Vatican Bank?

I thought last time you complained about not being allowed to keep him. You even promised to feed him and bring him for walks.
    Maybe next time. . .
    I'm confused. :confused:

Wait... Quaddie? NO WAI!

• Advertisement

Add yes, and very rarely. Not remove, delete or change.

so basicallly chattr +a /etc/dogma/current , got it :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nah, no way. I think festus pre-dates actor. Some of the stuff he says is borderline nasty and he most certainly not someone I would be interested in spending time with, but I don't think he is our bum sex crazed friend.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

The Pope is wrong. Nobody, including Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews etc are saved by their so called 'good deeds', only trusting in God's Word of promise is going to save anyone. That's not to say that people who do good deeds are going to hell, they're not if they are really doing 'good' deeds, because the only way anyone can do bona fide 'good deeds' is by having the the Spirit of the 'Good One' (God) in them and the only way that they can get His Spirit is by trusting (having faith) in Him, thus having the life force in them which produces the good deeds in the first place. They are something that comes from within not something that is painted on from the outside. God is always looking at the heart. Good deeds are the inevitable out growth of God's indwelling Spirit by faith. Too much time and emphasis is spent on having the fruits of the Spirit manifested in people's lives without making sure that they have the life force that produces the fruit in them first. Daily faith and daily faith alone does that and this is what is not being preached in 99% of pulpits today. The Pope is wrong and so is anyone else who preach that 'good deeds will save you' message. They won't, its a message from hell and not supported by Scripture.

The Pope is wrong. Nobody, including Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews etc are saved

You got this part right :D

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I know for a fact that hell does not exist.

You got this part right :D

Can you qualify that statement please?

• Advertisement

Birroc wrote: »
    I know for a fact that hell does not exist.

How?

Can you qualify that statement please?

There is no god, there is no 'salvation', only birth life and death, deal with reality instead of wasting your life investing in false hopes.

Scrap the cap!

There is no god, there is no 'salvation', only birth life and death, deal with reality instead of wasting your life investing in false hopes.

Meaning because you said so? OK thanks for the advice.

Meaning because you said so? OK thanks for the advice.

Well 'you said so' a few posts above all sorts of stuff about hell and salvation and god. Did you provide any evidence of the existence of any of these?

Nobody has ever observed a unicorn at the end of my garden, I cannot definitively say that a unicorn at the end of my garden cannot exist, but I don't believe there is a unicorn at the end of my garden and I don't believe that the unicorn worshippers have anything useful to tell me about life.

Or - putting this another way - do you believe in Santa Claus? and if not, why not?

Scrap the cap!

Well 'you said so' a few posts above all sorts of stuff about hell and salvation and god. Did you provide any evidence of the existence of any of these?

Nobody has ever observed a unicorn at the end of my garden, I cannot definitively say that a unicorn at the end of my garden cannot exist, but I don't believe there is a unicorn at the end of my garden and I don't believe that the unicorn worshippers have anything useful to tell me about life.

Or - putting this another way - do you believe in Santa Claus? and if not, why not?

Eh, I thanked you for your advice, now relax, calm down, breeeeeathe..

• Advertisement
Advertisement