Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope proclaims all redeemed, even atheists.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Eh, I thanked you for your advice, now relax, calm down, breeeeeathe..

I was hoping you'd engage in logical discussion rather than run away. Oh well.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

ninja900 wrote: »
    I was hoping you'd engage in logical discussion rather than run away. Oh well.

I don't think that would be a good idea in this thread as it would go way OT and the mods would start getting onto us. My original comment was my 'opinion' on the topic of this thread, it didn't need any further qualification on my part as far as I can see. You however made a comment about my comment suggesting that only a certain section of it was actually true further suggesting that the rest of it was false, and I just asked you to qualify that. You did, and then I thanked you. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned unless you want to qualify it further. Do you?

I don't think that would be a good idea in this thread as it would go way OT and the mods would start getting onto us. My original comment was my 'opinion' on the topic of this thread, it didn't need any further qualification on my part as far as I can see. You however made a comment about my comment suggesting that only a certain section of it was actually true further suggesting that the rest of it was false, and I just asked you to qualify that. You did, and then I thanked you. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned unless you want to qualify it further. Do you?

Yes, that entire post was a load of arse actually, unless you can prove the existence of god, heaven, hell, etc.? I hope this makes my position quite clear :)

Of course I am willing to reconsider my world view on any question when provided with contrary evidence. Theists never can provide any, oddly enough.

Do you believe in Santa Claus? If not, why not? The answer to this question might seem trivial to you but it's actually rather illuminating on the theist position.

Scrap the cap!

Yes, that entire post was a load of arse actually, unless you can prove the existence of god, heaven, hell, etc.? I hope this makes my position quite clear :)

Of course I am willing to reconsider my world view on any question when provided with contrary evidence. Theists never can provide any, oddly enough.

Do you believe in Santa Claus? If not, why not? The answer to this question might seem trivial to you but it's actually rather illuminating on the theist position.

My faith rests on whether Jesus rose from the dead or not. If He didn't, then you are correct, everything I said in my original post in this thread is a load of arse. But if He did, then God is real, Hell is real etc etc. Why? Because He spoke about them as though they were real, or at least that is what is recorded as being what He said by people who were supposedly faithful followers of His teachings. So being one whom I believe is God and who is able to raise from the dead I assume He knows better than me or anyone else on the subject.

Now can I prove that He rose from the dead? Well no, not scientifically anyway, but then I can't even prove that other minds exist other than my own (nay not even my own) so that is besides the point. But can I provide positive evidence as to whether He rose from the dead or not? Well for this thread I can give you an abridged version of sorts if you'll permit me.

The most popular theories concerning all this is that the disciples of Jesus (after His supposed resurrection) genuinely believed that He rose from the dead because they claimed to have seen Him appearing to them but were mistaken because they were all just hallucinating due to the fact they were grieving a dear friend and leader who was now dead. That would explain the experiences of seeing Him alive post mortem, but it doesn't explain why His tomb was empty.

If the tomb wasn't empty then why wasn't it pointed to as the place where His corpse lay and thus shut up the preaching of His resurrection? I mean if someone is going around preaching that John Paul II has risen from the dead then all one needs to do is to point to his tomb and exhume the body in order to dispel the story right? This might not convince hard nose inventors of the myth but it would go some way to stop its spreading to others. This wasn't done in the case of Jesus, but why not? Because His tomb was actually found empty, that's why. So why was it empty? is the next question to ask.

You might say that the disciples stole the body. But if they stole the body then they were known (to themselves anyway) fraudsters and not genuine believers in Jesus' resurrection which would dispel the hallucination theory in relation to His post mortem appearances because for them to be hallucinating would require a genuine belief in Jesus, all be it a mistaken belief. So which explanation is the right one? If the hallucination theory is true then just show them the body in the tomb. If they stole the body from the tomb then they knew that they were lying and could not have been genuine believers and thus susceptible to hallucinations in the first place.

I believe the reason they seen Him alive after His death and the reason His tomb was empty was because He actually rose from the dead and that the other two contradictory theories are both false unless you can show how one of them is true over the other, either-way you are going to be left with a faith assumption regarding the available facts just like me. I choose to believe that He rose and that what He said about God and Hell are true, hence my presuppositions in my original posts in this thread.

You see I don't really care if you believe them or not, but I'm not going to hide the fact that I believe them and to also incorporate them into my opinion on certain topics. I don't have to prove them to anyone else in order to express my opinion. Now if you want a really really deep treatment of all this then I suggest you start a new thread about it, all I've done here is scratch the surface, there are multitudes of reasons to think that the Gospel records are genuine authentic records of what actually happened all them centuries ago.

So be my guest, otherwise just keep your opinions about my beliefs to yourself and stop trying to make yourself look good by making others appear stupid for holding a particular world view. My position on these things is well thought out, more thought out than you are possibly capable of appreciating but I will reserve my judgment on you for now just in case you might turn out to have the humility to take serious what someone of an opposing world view might have to say before you barge in a make your judgments on their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Probably posted earlier but this thread made me think of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The Pope is wrong. Nobody, including Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews etc are saved by their so called 'good deeds',

You guys are hilarious. It's like two groups of believers in unicorns (to use an image from a previous post) arguing over whether unicorns are brown or white.

(BTW, if you don't want your beliefs questioned or criticised or riduculed, why are you on the A&A forum?)

fisgon wrote: »
    You guys are hilarious. It's like two groups of believers in unicorns (to use an image from a previous post) arguing over whether unicorns are brown or white.

(BTW, if you don't want your beliefs questioned or criticised or riduculed, why are you on the A&A forum?)

The truth of Christianity all hinges on the resurrection of Jesus at the end of the day. If that is not true as a fact of history then I'm with you guys in that its all a load or arse, every part of it, and nobody should ever bother with it because if false it is a very dangerous philosophy and only serves to stump our progress towards (in the atheist view at least) an inevitable and utter annihilation in a heat death of either our solar system or the universe as a whole.

I welcome criticism and questions but why would anyone ever want their beliefs ridiculed (not riduculed btw)? Only an idiot would 'want' to have his/her views ridiculed. I'm sorry that you guys need ridicule in order to 'feel' better about winning an argument instead of coming at it armed with nothing but facts and evidence.

Reminds of when Dawkins chickened out of a debate with one of the top Christian apologists in the world a couple of years ago and gave the excuse that he wouldn't debate anyone (even though he is on record inviting anyone to debate with him) who held the views that this particular apologist held on certain subjects. Fool, that is what you are supposed to do in a debate, to argue with someone you disagree with. Who the hell argues with someone who is in agreement with them? In a debate you have to show why you think your opponent's world view is wrong and back it up with facts and evidence or just simple plain logic. If you have to rely on ridicule to make yourself feel better about your world view then that is a very sad way to live your life. Anyone who needs ridicule is the one who is really running scared, not the one who is open to having their world view questioned and even criticized.

If you want to show that believing in the resurrection of Jesus is delusional then you need more than just ridicule to show me that you are indeed correct or even plausible. And please come with better evidence than, 'The Da Vinci Code', 'Zeitgeist the movie' and 'The God Delusion'. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The truth of Christianity all hinges on the resurrection of Jesus at the end of the day. If that is not true as a fact of history then I'm with you guys in that its all a load or arse, every part of it, and nobody should ever bother with it because if false it is a very dangerous philosophy and only serves to stump our progress towards (in the atheist view at least) an inevitable and utter annihilation in a heat death of either our solar system or the universe as a whole.

I welcome criticism and questions but why would anyone ever want their beliefs ridiculed (not riduculed btw)? Only an idiot would 'want' to have his/her views ridiculed. I'm sorry that you guys need ridicule in order to 'feel' better about winning an argument instead of coming at it armed with nothing but facts and evidence.

Reminds of when Dawkins chickened out of a debate with one of the top Christian apologists in the world a couple of years ago and gave the excuse that he wouldn't debate anyone (even though he is on record inviting anyone to debate with him) who held the views that this particular apologist held on certain subjects. Fool, that is what you are supposed to do in a debate, to argue with someone you disagree with. Who the hell argues with someone who is in agreement with them? In a debate you have to show why you think your opponent's world view is wrong and back it up with facts and evidence or just simple plain logic. If you have to rely on ridicule to make yourself feel better about your world view then thnat is a very sad way to live your life. Anyone who needs ridicule is the one who is really running scared, not the one who is open to having their world view questioned and even criticized.

If you want to show that believing in the resurrection of Jesus is delusional then you need more than just ridicule to show me that you are indeed correct or even plausible. And please come with better evidence than, 'The Da Vinci Code', 'Zeitgeist the movie' and 'The God Delusion'. Thanks.

I would be interested in seeing this historical proof of the Resurrection - bare in mind that, and I say this as a historian, the Bible does not count as it is a secondary source written after the event by people who were not present - in legal terms it is 'hearsay'. Can you point me to eyewitness accounts? Official records? Any contemporary account that can be verified? Artifacts even?

I certainly would not accept any historiography that based it's thesis on a single secondary source regardless of the topic under examination.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I would be interested in seeing this historical proof of the Resurrection - bare in mind that, and I say this as a historian, the Bible does not count as it is a secondary source written after the event by people who were not present - in legal terms it is 'hearsay'. Can you point me to eyewitness accounts? Official records? Any contemporary account that can be verified? Artifacts even?

I certainly would not accept any historiography that based it's thesis on a single secondary source regardless of the topic under examination.

I cannot provide first hand eyewitness accounts, nor can anyone else for that matter, to anything in ancient history, but I don't have a problem believing that Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon or that Alexander the Great conquered Persia and so on. Why can we not view the gospel records in a similar light when it comes to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus? Give me a plausible reason why we can't and then explain why you cannot use the same logic when it comes to other ancients historical accounts as they relate to secular history. Or better still, show me a historiography that 'does not' base it's thesis on a single secondary source regardless of the topic under examination. And btw the way the Gospel narratives are not one single source, they were written by different people at different times and to distinctly different groups of people i.e. Jews and gentiles / religious and secular.

I cannot provide first hand eyewitness accounts, nor can anyone else for that matter, to anything in ancient history, but I don't have a problem believing that Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon or that Alexander the Great conquered Persia and so on. Why can we not view the gospel records in a similar light when it comes to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus? Give me a plausible reason why we can't and then explain why you cannot use the same logic when it comes to other ancients historical accounts as they relate to secular history. Or better still, show me a historiography that 'does not' base it's thesis on a single secondary source regardless of the topic under examination. And btw the way the Gospel narratives are not one single source, they were written by different people at different times and to distinctly different groups of people i.e. Jews and gentiles / religious and secular.

Because there are a myriad of available primary sources for Caesar, Alexander etc etc. They left a verifiable record - often in their own words. They left monuments, contemporary commentators wrote about them. We have absolute proof of their existence. No such proof exists for Jesus.

I don't think you understand how the discipline of history works - one cannot base a work of history on a single secondary source. If a student handed me such a work I would fail them. If a colleague wrote such a work it would not be published by any reputable journal and would be savaged in peer review. Quite rightly as they would not have met the required burden of proof.

One would think that the Roman Empire which kept so many records many of them still extant and a highly literate Jewish society would have at least one or two contemporary accounts - but no. Nothing but this one book written after the event by people who were not there and frankly had an agenda.

In 1922 the vast majority of the records pertaining to Gaelic Ireland were destroyed in the Four Courts, almost all of the private records held by Gaelic Irish families were destroyed during the Tudor Conquest, the scholars who were charged with keeping such records were executed by order of the Crown. Under Cromwell a policy of sending those who may be in a position to assume leadership in Gaelic clans were shipped to the West Indies which destroyed the cohesion of society, the loss of oral history and made it impossible for records of events to be fully kept. Yet, historians have been able to, albeit with some gaps that are currently under investigation, reconstruct events in Ireland back to Niall of the Nine Hostages using Primary sources. I could tell you the name of the man who stabbed Gráinne Ní Mháille's eldest son in 1586 and provide verifiable evidence, I can tell you the names of 3 children aged under 5 hanged in Mayo that same year and their father's and grandfather's names - these events took place in the midst of famine and genocide. Yet - there are still contemporary records from a wide variety of commentators which 'back each other up' in terms of names, dates and events, although they may differ in how they viewed these events.
    Colleagues of mine can tell you the names of the Viking leaders who first attacked Ireland. Others can tell you the names of all of Alexander's commanders, exact details of all of his campaigns etc etc. Yet others can discuss evens in Babylon in exacting details or the lives of very ordinary Roman citizens who lived in Rome, Pompeii and yes, Judea. Not one of these people bases their work on secondary sources. Each will footnote their work with references to primary sources and how they may be checked should the reader wish.
    Yet, here we have this book written by people whose actual identity is unclear to say the least, detailing events they did not see, for which there are no contemporary accounts and we are expected to accept this is the word of God and absolute truth because they say it is?

Seriously?

I am very aware of the authorship of the various books in the Bible - and the lack of certainty surrounding the actual identity of the authors. The fact is not one gospel was written by an eye witness to the events they describe. Each of them is based on what they heard from others - many of whom did not witness the events either. Would you accept an item on the news that consisted of an interview with someone who heard from someone else whose granny told them that something happened 70 years ago? An event for which there is no other source? I certainly wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Because there are a myriad of available primary sources for Caesar, Alexander etc etc. They left a verifiable record - often in their own words. They left monuments, contemporary commentators wrote about them. We have absolute proof of their existence.

There is no such thing as 'absolute proof' for anything in ancient history, just really good historical evidence, and I agree that what you mentioned would fall into the category of good evidence but not absolute proof. Plus, as I said, I'm not arguing against them, I believe that these people existed by the very fact that there is good sources for them. What I'm arguing against is the idea that no such evidence is available in the case of Jesus.
    No such proof exists for Jesus.

Let's just stick to the word 'evidence' instead of 'proof' shall we? OK so what do we have for Jesus? The following is from Gary Habermas at apologetics.com:

"Extra-biblical sources are another avenue worth pursuing when determining whether the New Testament texts speak reliably concerning historical issues. While less frequently used by scholars, a number of ancient secular sources mention various aspects of Jesus' life, corroborating the picture presented by the Gospels. The writers of these sources include ancient historians such as Tacitus, Suetonius, and Thallus. Jewish sources such as Josephus and the Talmud add to our knowledge. Government officials such as Pliny the Younger and even Roman Caesars Trajan and Hadrian describe early Christian beliefs and practices. Greek historian and satirist Lucian and Syrian Mara Bar-Serapion provide other details. Several nonorthodox, Gnostic writings speak about Jesus in a more theological manner.

Overall, at least seventeen non-Christian writings record more than fifty details concerning the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus, plus details concerning the earliest church. Most frequently reported is Jesus' death, mentioned by twelve sources. Dated approximately 20 to 150 years after Jesus' death, these secular sources are quite early by the standards of ancient historiography.

Altogether, these non-Christian sources mention that Jesus fulfilled Old Testament prophecy, performed miracles, led disciples, and that many thought he was deity. These sources call him a good teacher or a philosopher and state that his message included conversion, denial of the gods, fellowship, and immortality. Further, they claim he was crucified for blasphemy but rose from the dead and appeared to his disciples, who were themselves transformed into bold preachers.

A number of early Christian sources also report numerous details concerning the historical Jesus. Some, such as the writings of Clement of Rome, Ignatius, and Polycarp, date from A.D. 95-110, or just ten years after the last New Testament book.

Information of a different sort can be derived from archaeological artifacts. While few provide direct confirmation of Jesus, they do provide helpful background information. Places such as the Bethesda and Siloam pools, the foundations of Herod's temple, possible locations of Pilate's Praetorium, and the general vicinity of Golgotha and the Garden tomb all enlighten modern readers. Much information has been gained about ancient Jewish social customs, and many details have been revealed concerning the cities, towns, coinage, commerce, and languages of first-century Palestine.14 A.N. Sherwin-White has furnished a remarkable amount of background information corroborating many details of the trial of Jesus, as well as other legal scenes in the New Testament.15

In a few cases, more specific data is available. For example, the Latin inscription "Titulus Venetus" helps to illumine Augustus's census. A Latin plaque mentions "Pontius Pilatus, Prefect of Judaea." The bones of a first-century A.D. crucifixion victim, Yohanan, tell us much about the gruesome spectacle of crucifixion. The Nazareth Decree, perhaps circulated by Emperor Claudius between A.D. 41 and 54, threatens tomb robbers with death.

In summary, those who use traditional strategies to support the historical reliability of the New Testament assert that superior manuscript evidence shows we have essentially what the authors wrote. By linking closely the authors and composition dates to the events themselves, it is argued that the writers were in the best position to know what actually occurred. Additional data are provided by extra-biblical and archaeological sources, showing that, when these details are checked, the New Testament fares well.

A surprising amount of traditional data corroborates the life and teachings of Jesus. Many questions remain, to be sure, but the available evidence indicates that believers are on strong ground when reporting the general reliability of the New Testament reports of the historical Jesus.

Recent Strategies

Scholarship in recent years, however, has moved in other directions. While not necessarily denying the traditional arguments just discussed, scholars are frequently less interested in the question of the New Testament's reliability. Nonetheless, among the contemporary tendencies to which critics gravitate, there are still many gems to be mined-treasures that point in additional ways to the historical trustworthiness of the New Testament. Some of the prizes turn out to be powerful tools. Four such approaches are outlined below."

For more and for citations, source and reference etc see: http://www.apologetics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165:why-i-believe-..

I don't think you understand how the discipline of history works - one cannot base a work of history on a single secondary source.

I agree, but as we have seen the New Testament was never just one book.
    If a student handed me such a work I would fail them. If a colleague wrote such a work it would not be published by any reputable journal and would be savaged in peer review. Quite rightly as they would not have met the required burden of proof.

Again I agree with this but I fail to see how this applies to the New Testament. It is many different books written at different times to different people in different places. How diverse do you want it to be?
    One would think that the Roman Empire which kept so many records many of them still extant and a highly literate Jewish society would have at least one or two contemporary accounts - but no. Nothing but this one book written after the event by people who were not there and frankly had an agenda.

See my last comment above.
    In 1922 the vast majority of the records pertaining to Gaelic Ireland were destroyed in the Four Courts, almost all of the private records held by Gaelic Irish families were destroyed during the Tudor Conquest, the scholars who were charged with keeping such records were executed by order of the Crown. Under Cromwell a policy of sending those who may be in a position to assume leadership in Gaelic clans were shipped to the West Indies which destroyed the cohesion of society, the loss of oral history and made it impossible for records of events to be fully kept. Yet, historians have been able to, albeit with some gaps that are currently under investigation, reconstruct events in Ireland back to Niall of the Nine Hostages using Primary sources. I could tell you the name of the man who stabbed Gráinne Ní Mháille's eldest son in 1586 and provide verifiable evidence, I can tell you the names of 3 children aged under 5 hanged in Mayo that same year and their father's and grandfather's names - these events took place in the midst of famine and genocide. Yet - there are still contemporary records from a wide variety of commentators which 'back each other up' in terms of names, dates and events, although they may differ in how they viewed these events.
    Colleagues of mine can tell you the names of the Viking leaders who first attacked Ireland. Others can tell you the names of all of Alexander's commanders, exact details of all of his campaigns etc etc. Yet others can discuss evens in Babylon in exacting details or the lives of very ordinary Roman citizens who lived in Rome, Pompeii and yes, Judea. Not one of these people bases their work on secondary sources. Each will footnote their work with references to primary sources and how they may be checked should the reader wish.

Thanks for the lesson in relatively recent history but we are talking about ancient history here. When it comes to mausciprutral evidence then the New Testament beats them all. Again from apologetics.com:

"Typically, defenses of the reliability of the New Testament have emphasized several items: the superior manuscript numbers, early dating of these copies, as well as the authoritative authorship and dating of the original compositions. I will respond briefly to each, since they all still have an important part to play. Since these defenses have received much attention, however, I will only highlight a number of relevant issues.

Manuscript Evidence

To start, are we even able to ascertain whether the text of the Bible is that of the original authors? While this issue relates strictly to the reliability of the text rather than to the historicity of its contents, the issue is still important in the overall scheme of this discussion. Generally, several qualities enhance manuscript value, assisting textual scholars in arriving at the best reading of the original text. The strongest case is made when many manuscripts are available, as close in time to the original autographs as possible. Wide geographical distribution of the copies and their textual families are likewise crucial. Of course, having complete texts is essential.

In light of these criteria, the New Testament is the best attested work from the ancient world. First, it has by far the greatest number of existing manuscripts. Ancient classical works are attested to by very few full or partial manuscripts-usually less than ten. In comparison, over five thousand full or partial Greek manuscripts of the New Testament exist. Thousands of additional texts exist in other languages, especially Latin. This overwhelming number of copies yields a much stronger base for establishing the original text.

Concerning the date between the original writing and the earliest copies, ancient classical works generally exhibit gaps of at least seven hundred years. The interval significantly lengthens to twice this amount (or longer) with certain works by a number of key writers such as Plato and Aristotle. In contrast, the Bodmer and Chester Beatty Papyri contain most of the New Testament, dating about 100-150 years later than the New Testament, using an approximate date of A.D. 100 for its completion. The Codex Sinaiticus is a complete copy of the New Testament, while the Codex Vaticanus is a nearly complete manuscript, both dating roughly 250 years after the originals. These small gaps help to ensure the accuracy of the New Testament text.

Further, significant portions of some ancient works are missing. For example, 107 of Livy's 142 books of Roman history have been lost. Of Tacitus's original Histories and Annals, only approximately half remain.

The fact that there is outstanding manuscript evidence for the New Testament documents is even admitted by critical scholars. John A.T. Robinson succinctly explains, "The wealth of manuscripts, and above all the narrow interval of time between the writing and the earliest extant copies, make it by far the best attested text of any ancient writing in the world." Even Helmut Koester summarizes:

Classical authors are often represented by but one surviving manuscript; if there are half a dozen or more, one can speak of a rather advantageous situation for reconstructing the text. But there are nearly five thousand manuscripts of the NT in Greek... The only surviving manuscripts of classical authors often come from the Middle Ages, but the manuscript tradition of the NT begins as early as the end of II CE; it is therefore separated by only a century or so from the time at which the autographs were written. Thus it seems that NT textual criticism possesses a base which is far more advantageous than that for the textual criticism of classical authors.

The result of all this is an incredibly accurate New Testament text. John Wenham asks why it is that, in spite of the "great diversity" in our copies, the texts are still relativity homogeneous. He responds, "The only satisfactory answer seems to be that its homogeneity stems from an exceedingly early text-virtually, that is, from the autographs." The resulting text is 99.99 percent accurate, and the remaining questions do not affect any area of cardinal Christian doctrine."

For more and for citations, source and reference etc see: http://www.apologetics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165:why-i-believe-..
    Yet, here we have this book written by people whose actual identity is unclear to say the least, detailing events they did not see, for which there are no contemporary accounts and we are expected to accept this is the word of God and absolute truth because they say it is?

Well no, you don't just accept it because they say it, you accept or reject it based on its reliable historical authenticity and as we have seen the New Testament passes all normal tests of historicity in flying colours. That does not mean that because of this what they actually say about supernatural things is true, no, it just means that they can be relied upon as authentic sources for the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. That's all I'm trying to point out here.
    I am very aware of the authorship of the various books in the Bible

So will you now stop refering to the New Testament as one single book please?
    - and the lack of certainty surrounding the actual identity of the authors. The fact is not one gospel was written by an eye witness to the events they describe.

Even if that was true and certainly if Matthew and John were written by Matthew and John then that is eye witness testimony right there, but even if we agree that none of them were written by actual eye witnesses to the events they describe, that does not automatically mean that they are not reliable sources. Please explain why if you disagree with this. They might not be 'as' reliable as eye witness testimony but that doesn't mean that because of that they are not reliable at all. We've got to be careful with the words we choose here. What we have really good evidence for is that they were written (by eyewitnesses or not) during the time that eye witnesses to the events they describe were still alive, and that is significant because any retelling or general circulating of the story would have been arrested before any legendary embellishments could have been attached to it.
    Each of them is based on what they heard from others - many of whom did not witness the events either.

As above.
    Would you accept an item on the news that consisted of an interview with someone who heard from someone else whose granny told them that something happened 70 years ago? An event for which there is no other source? I certainly wouldn't.

Well no I wouldn't but I wouldn't automatically rule it out either, I'd await corroboration or refutation before deciding either way. Just because a story does not have an independent corroborating source doesn't mean that the story is false or a lie, it just means that it doesn't have an independent corroborating source, that's it. But as I have shown this is not the case for the New Testament, far from it.

Anyway, some more from apologetics.com to muse over:

"...The traditional strategy has been to argue that the Gospels and Acts were written by eyewitnesses, or those writing under their influence, thereby ensuring as much as possible the factual content. A somewhat more cautious position is that these five books were at least influenced by eyewitness testimony.

Evangelical scholars often date each of the synoptic Gospels ten or so years earlier than their critical counterparts, who usually prefer dates of roughly A.D. 65-90. There is widespread agreement on placing John at roughly A.D. 95. This places the writing of the manuscripts thirty-five to sixty-five years after the death of Jesus, close enough to allow for accurate accounts.

Perhaps the most promising way to support the traditional approach is to argue backward from the Book of Acts. Most of this book is occupied with the ministries of Peter and Paul, and much of the action centers in the city of Jerusalem. The martyrdoms of Stephen (7:54-60) and the apostle James (12:1-2) are recorded, and the book concludes with Paul under arrest in Rome (28:14-31). Yet Acts says nothing concerning the deaths of Paul and Peter (mid-60s A.D.) or James, Jesus' brother (about A.D. 62). Moreover, accounts of the Jewish War with the Romans (beginning in A.D. 66) and the fall of Jerusalem (A.D. 70) are also strangely absent. Further, the book ends enigmatically with Paul under house arrest, without any resolution to the situation.

How could the author of Acts not mention these events or resolve Paul's dilemma, each of which is centrally related to the text's crucial themes? These events would even seem to dwarf many of the other recorded occurrences. (This is not an argument from silence, in light of the similar items - in both content and geography - that the author does record.) It is difficult to resist the conclusion that the author did not record these items simply because they had not yet occurred. These omissions argue persuasively for an early date for the composition of Acts, before the mid-60s A.D.

If it is held that Luke was written prior to Acts but after Mark and Matthew, as perhaps most critical scholars do, then all five books may be dated before A.D. 65. It is simply amazing that Acts could be dated A.D. 80-85 and the author not be aware of, or otherwise neglect to mention, any of these events.

There is no such thing as 'absolute proof' for anything in ancient history, just really good historical evidence, and I agree that what you mentioned would fall into the category of good evidence but not absolute proof. Plus, as I said, I'm not arguing against them, I believe that these people existed by the very fact that there is good sources for them. What I'm arguing against is the idea that no such evidence is available in the case of Jesus.

Yes, there is.

We have absolute proof of the existence of the Roman Empire from a vast array of contemporary sources.

We have absolute proof of the existence of Roman Emperors from a vast array of contemporary sources .

There is no proof of the existence of Jesus - there is hearsay and commentaries written after the events they describe.

It seems to me that you are attempting to call all evidence into question in order to distract from the lack of evidence to support your argument. A case of 'there is no proof of this but there is proof of that' being countered with 'yeah, well what is proof when you think about it. There is no such thing as absolute proof just a matter of how much evidence there is.'

That one won't fly I'm afraid.

No evidence is still no evidence.

Let's just stick to the word 'evidence' instead of 'proof' shall we? OK so what do we have for Jesus? The following is from Gary Habermas at apologetics.com:

"Extra-biblical sources are another avenue worth pursuing when determining whether the New Testament texts speak reliably concerning historical issues. While less frequently used by scholars, a number of ancient secular sources mention various aspects of Jesus' life, corroborating the picture presented by the Gospels. The writers of these sources include ancient historians such as Tacitus, Suetonius, and Thallus. Jewish sources such as Josephus and the Talmud add to our knowledge. Government officials such as Pliny the Younger and even Roman Caesars Trajan and Hadrian describe early Christian beliefs and practices. Greek historian and satirist Lucian and Syrian Mara Bar-Serapion provide other details. Several nonorthodox, Gnostic writings speak about Jesus in a more theological manner.

Overall, at least seventeen non-Christian writings record more than fifty details concerning the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus, plus details concerning the earliest church. Most frequently reported is Jesus' death, mentioned by twelve sources. Dated approximately 20 to 150 years after Jesus' death, these secular sources are quite early by the standards of ancient historiography.

Altogether, these non-Christian sources mention that Jesus fulfilled Old Testament prophecy, performed miracles, led disciples, and that many thought he was deity. These sources call him a good teacher or a philosopher and state that his message included conversion, denial of the gods, fellowship, and immortality. Further, they claim he was crucified for blasphemy but rose from the dead and appeared to his disciples, who were themselves transformed into bold preachers.

A number of early Christian sources also report numerous details concerning the historical Jesus. Some, such as the writings of Clement of Rome, Ignatius, and Polycarp, date from A.D. 95-110, or just ten years after the last New Testament book.

Information of a different sort can be derived from archaeological artifacts. While few provide direct confirmation of Jesus, they do provide helpful background information. Places such as the Bethesda and Siloam pools, the foundations of Herod's temple, possible locations of Pilate's Praetorium, and the general vicinity of Golgotha and the Garden tomb all enlighten modern readers. Much information has been gained about ancient Jewish social customs, and many details have been revealed concerning the cities, towns, coinage, commerce, and languages of first-century Palestine.14 A.N. Sherwin-White has furnished a remarkable amount of background information corroborating many details of the trial of Jesus, as well as other legal scenes in the New Testament.15

In a few cases, more specific data is available. For example, the Latin inscription "Titulus Venetus" helps to illumine Augustus's census. A Latin plaque mentions "Pontius Pilatus, Prefect of Judaea." The bones of a first-century A.D. crucifixion victim, Yohanan, tell us much about the gruesome spectacle of crucifixion. The Nazareth Decree, perhaps circulated by Emperor Claudius between A.D. 41 and 54, threatens tomb robbers with death.

In summary, those who use traditional strategies to support the historical reliability of the New Testament assert that superior manuscript evidence shows we have essentially what the authors wrote. By linking closely the authors and composition dates to the events themselves, it is argued that the writers were in the best position to know what actually occurred. Additional data are provided by extra-biblical and archaeological sources, showing that, when these details are checked, the New Testament fares well.

A surprising amount of traditional data corroborates the life and teachings of Jesus. Many questions remain, to be sure, but the available evidence indicates that believers are on strong ground when reporting the general reliability of the New Testament reports of the historical Jesus.

Recent Strategies

Scholarship in recent years, however, has moved in other directions. While not necessarily denying the traditional arguments just discussed, scholars are frequently less interested in the question of the New Testament's reliability. Nonetheless, among the contemporary tendencies to which critics gravitate, there are still many gems to be mined-treasures that point in additional ways to the historical trustworthiness of the New Testament. Some of the prizes turn out to be powerful tools. Four such approaches are outlined below."

Wow - the 'historian' version of a creationism. :eek:

Lets begin by looking at Gary Habermas and the Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary and Graduate School, Lynchburg, Virginia where he works in the Dept. of Philosophy and Theology - so he is a theologian not a historian.

The Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary and Graduate School was founded in 1973 by Jerry Falwall, a TV evangelist who stated among other things
    "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" - so Jerry founded his own private college dedicated to 'quality Christian education' - not quality education - education with a specific agenda which conform to a specific religious ideology.

Gary Habermas, in his own words, " has dedicated his professional life to the examination of the relevant historical, philosophical, and theological issues surrounding the death and resurrection of Jesus. His extensive list of publications and debates provides a thorough account of the current state of the issue. Christian believers as well as unbelievers may find within the contents of this site a strong argument for the philosophical possibility of miracles and the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus, as well as the theological and practical implications of this event." http://www.garyhabermas.com/

Well there is a huge problem from the word go. A historian must strive to be objective. To examine the evidence and go where it leads them. They must not be subjective and search for evidence - or twist evidence - to suit a pre-conceived agenda, ignoring anything that does not fit. Yet you have quoted me passages from a man whose life work is to 'prove' the resurrection of Jesus and the existence of miracles who works at a private college who whole reason for being is to produce Baptist missionaries...hardly objective. FAIL.

Now, lets look at what Gary has to say as most of it really is utter tosh- I'll focus on the highlighted passage to illustrate what is wrong with Gary's 'evidence'.

So lets look at this passage:
    ancient secular sources mention various aspects of Jesus' life, corroborating the picture presented by the Gospels. The writers of these sources include ancient historians such as Tacitus, Suetonius, and Thallus. Jewish sources such as Josephus and the Talmud add to our knowledge. Government officials such as Pliny the Younger and even Roman Caesars Trajan and Hadrian describe early Christian beliefs and practices. Greek historian and satirist Lucian and Syrian Mara Bar-Serapion provide other details. Several nonorthodox, Gnostic writings speak about Jesus in a more theological manner.

Gaius Cornelius Tacitus; ca. 56 – ca. 117 : secondary source who referred to Christianity in the context of the Burning of Rome and persecution of Christians.

Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus; c. 69 – after 122 : another secondary source he also makes reference to Christians in the context of the Burning of Rome.

They are primary sources for events during Nero's reign but when it comes to events in Judea and Galilee in the years Jesus was meant to be active they are secondary sources - not proof of the existence of Jesus they are proof in the the existence of people who called themselves Christian being in Rome in 64 AD.

Do you see the difference? it is very important.

Thallus - first mention we have of him is 180 AD so also not a contemporary source.

Flavius Josephus 37 – c. 100 - not a contemporary so yet another secondary source but does seem to have referred to the crucifixion. I say seem because it is agreed by scholars that Josephus' Testimonium Flavianum is not entirely authentic - problem is which bits are real. Significantly in works Josephus' wroth 20 years previous to Antiquities of the Jews(93 -94 AD) such as Jewish War (c72 AD) tere is no mention of Jesus at all.... how bizarre. Had he not heard of him in 70 AD?

As for 'these secular sources are quite early by the standards of ancient historiography.' - no. Just no. Firstly, We have written primary sources dating back to 1772 BC. Secondly we have an unbelievable amount of primary sources pertaining to the Roman Republic - never mind the Empire. Do you know why - because written records are vital for administering an empire. Same deal with Alexander. Same with Genghis Khan.

Again I agree with this but I fail to see how this applies to the New Testament. It is many different books written at different times to different people in different places. How diverse do you want it to be?

The NT claims to be the word of God - is consistency too much to ask for?

Thanks for the lesson in relatively recent history but we are talking about ancient history here. When it comes to mausciprutral evidence then the New Testament beats them all. Again from apologetics.com:

In case you missed the point - I was referring to a period when an entire culture was being systematically destroyed (including all written records) and to a region that would have been considered very far from 'civilisation' in a time when it was being decimated. Added to this most of those records which did survive were blown up. Yet, I can name 3 children under 5 who were hanged and can provide at least 5 eyewitness accounts from both sides of the conflict. They were not important people. They were small children held hostage who paid the price for rebellion. Yet, there is not one surviving record contemporary with Jesus which refers to him even though he lived in an Empire obsessed with keeping written records among a people famed for their literacy. The silence from his contemporaries is deafening. The clamour from those who came afterwards and wished to paint him as the Messiah and Son of God is equally deafening - but unsupported by any actual evidence.
    "Typically, defenses of the reliability of the New Testament have emphasized several items: the superior manuscript numbers, early dating of these copies, as well as the authoritative authorship and dating of the original compositions. I will respond briefly to each, since they all still have an important part to play. Since these defenses have received much attention, however, I will only highlight a number of relevant issues.

Manuscript Evidence

To start, are we even able to ascertain whether the text of the Bible is that of the original authors? While this issue relates strictly to the reliability of the text rather than to the historicity of its contents, the issue is still important in the overall scheme of this discussion. Generally, several qualities enhance manuscript value, assisting textual scholars in arriving at the best reading of the original text. The strongest case is made when many manuscripts are available, as close in time to the original autographs as possible. Wide geographical distribution of the copies and their textual families are likewise crucial. Of course, having complete texts is essential.

In light of these criteria, the New Testament is the best attested work from the ancient world. First, it has by far the greatest number of existing manuscripts. Ancient classical works are attested to by very few full or partial manuscripts-usually less than ten. In comparison, over five thousand full or partial Greek manuscripts of the New Testament exist. Thousands of additional texts exist in other languages, especially Latin. This overwhelming number of copies yields a much stronger base for establishing the original text.

Concerning the date between the original writing and the earliest copies, ancient classical works generally exhibit gaps of at least seven hundred years. The interval significantly lengthens to twice this amount (or longer) with certain works by a number of key writers such as Plato and Aristotle. In contrast, the Bodmer and Chester Beatty Papyri contain most of the New Testament, dating about 100-150 years later than the New Testament, using an approximate date of A.D. 100 for its completion. The Codex Sinaiticus is a complete copy of the New Testament, while the Codex Vaticanus is a nearly complete manuscript, both dating roughly 250 years after the originals. These small gaps help to ensure the accuracy of the New Testament text.

Further, significant portions of some ancient works are missing. For example, 107 of Livy's 142 books of Roman history have been lost. Of Tacitus's original Histories and Annals, only approximately half remain.

The fact that there is outstanding manuscript evidence for the New Testament documents is even admitted by critical scholars. John A.T. Robinson succinctly explains, "The wealth of manuscripts, and above all the narrow interval of time between the writing and the earliest extant copies, make it by far the best attested text of any ancient writing in the world." Even Helmut Koester summarizes:

Classical authors are often represented by but one surviving manuscript; if there are half a dozen or more, one can speak of a rather advantageous situation for reconstructing the text. But there are nearly five thousand manuscripts of the NT in Greek... The only surviving manuscripts of classical authors often come from the Middle Ages, but the manuscript tradition of the NT begins as early as the end of II CE; it is therefore separated by only a century or so from the time at which the autographs were written. Thus it seems that NT textual criticism possesses a base which is far more advantageous than that for the textual criticism of classical authors.

The result of all this is an incredibly accurate New Testament text. John Wenham asks why it is that, in spite of the "great diversity" in our copies, the texts are still relativity homogeneous. He responds, "The only satisfactory answer seems to be that its homogeneity stems from an exceedingly early text-virtually, that is, from the autographs." The resulting text is 99.99 percent accurate, and the remaining questions do not affect any area of cardinal Christian doctrine."

Indeed - what an extensive cut and paste from a source I have already explained is biased.

Well no, you don't just accept it because they say it, you accept or reject it based on its reliable historical authenticity and as we have seen the New Testament passes all normal tests of historicity in flying colours. That does not mean that because of this what they actually say about supernatural things is true, no, it just means that they can be relied upon as authentic sources for the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. That's all I'm trying to point out here.

No. It doesn't. It just doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I am very aware of the authorship of the various books in the Bible - and the lack of certainty surrounding the actual identity of the authors. The fact is not one gospel was written by an eye witness to the events they describe. Each of them is based on what they heard from others - many of whom did not witness the events either. Would you accept an item on the news that consisted of an interview with someone who heard from someone else whose granny told them that something happened 70 years ago? An event for which there is no other source? I certainly wouldn't.

Excellent posts Bannasidhe and very interesting too.

I have always wondered about the authors of the gospels but can you tell me who were the 4 authors (Matt, Mark, Luke, John) and when did they live?

Birroc wrote: »
    Excellent posts Bannasidhe and very interesting too.

I have always wondered about the authors of the gospels but can you tell me who were the 4 authors (Matt, Mark, Luke, John) and when did they live?

Not even the Vatican claims to have the answer to that. This is what the Catholic Encyclopedia has to say on the matter
    The first four historical books of the New Testament are supplied with titles (Euaggelion kata Matthaion, Euaggelion kata Markon, etc.), which, however ancient, do not go back to the respective authors of those sacred writings. The Canon of Muratori, Clement of Alexandria, and St. Irenæus bear distinct witness to the existence of those headings in the latter part of the second century of our era. Indeed, the manner in which Clement (Stromata I.21), and St. Irenæus (Against Heresies III.11.7) employ them implies that, at that early date, our present titles to the Gospels had been in current use for some considerable time. Hence, it may be inferred that they were prefixed to the evangelical narratives as early as the first part of that same century. That, however, they do not go back to the first century of the Christian era, or at least that they are not original, is a position generally held at the present day. It is felt that since they are similar for the four Gospels, although the same Gospels were composed at some interval from each other, those titles were not framed, and consequently not prefixed to each individual narrative, before the collection of the four Gospels was actually made.
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06655b.htm

So the works are anonymous being written at different times by unknown individuals about whom we know little and what we do 'know' is based on information contained within the works themselves..

It appears that they did not have any author names attached at all until the early 2nd century when these four works were deemed to be the Gospels.

You see I don't really care if you believe them or not,

I think you kinda do. Otherwise why come onto this forum in the first place? To 'win souls'?
    but I'm not going to hide the fact that I believe them and to also incorporate them into my opinion on certain topics.

Nobody would expect you do, but belief without evidence gets short shrift in this forum.
    I don't have to prove them to anyone else in order to express my opinion.

You do if you want to be taken seriously. You claim to know that certain religious beliefs are fact and that the pope is wrong (I agree he is wrong on many things but probably not for the same reasons as you.)
    Now if you want a really really deep treatment of all this then I suggest you start a new thread about it, all I've done here is scratch the surface, there are multitudes of reasons to think that the Gospel records are genuine authentic records of what actually happened all them centuries ago.

Christians can't even agree on what biblical texts are correct, what translations are correct, what interpretations are correct, and the degree of literal truth it is intended to convey.
    I'd be a lot more interested in any evidence at all for a deity based on what is observable in the world today. An omniscient being who supposedly made himself apparent on a regular basis in the middle east a few thousand years ago, but is nowhere to be seen today, lacks credibility to be honest. Where did god go?
    So be my guest, otherwise just keep your opinions about my beliefs to yourself and stop trying to make yourself look good by making others appear stupid for holding a particular world view.

You chose to post about your beliefs in the atheist and agnostic forum, which is perfectly fine, but you can't expect the 'don't question or ridicule my beliefs' line to hold any weight here either.
    My position on these things is well thought out, more thought out than you are possibly capable of appreciating but I will reserve my judgment on you for now just in case you might turn out to have the humility to take serious what someone of an opposing world view might have to say before you barge in a make your judgments on their posts.

You don't display too much humility yourself there :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

So the works are anonymous being written at different times by unknown individuals about whom we know little and what we do 'know' is based on information contained within the works themselves..

It appears that they did not have any author names attached at all until the early 2nd century when these four works were deemed to be the Gospels.

I know many people who think the gospel writers were 4 of the 12 apostles. I thought it myself growing up. And many people assume they all witnessed Jesus' life etc. The more you research the Christian religions, the more you realise how loose the whole story is. Its quite amazing and I often wonder do priests start to question the whole story when studying theology etc but decide to go along with it because it was a decent career path.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I'm certain there are more than a few men of the cloth, catholic and non-catholic, who are fully aware the game's up, no longer believe in god, but continue on with what their parishoners expect of them.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I'm certain there are more than a few men of the cloth, catholic and non-catholic, who are fully aware the game's up, no longer believe in god, but continue on with what their parishoners expect of them.

Maybe they'll form an organisation: APA (Atheist Priests Association).
    The jig is up. They backed the wrong horse.
    We've only one shot at this thing we call life and for all you young whippersnappers out there: it goes REALLY fast.

I met an older gentlemen in an elevator in Vegas a few weeks ago. He had a devious look in his eye. I asked him if he was enjoying his trip to Sin City. And he said that at his age, anytime that he wakes up on this side of the grass is a happy time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know many people who think the gospel writers were 4 of the 12 apostles. I thought it myself growing up. And many people assume they all witnessed Jesus' life etc. The more you research the Christian religions, the more you realise how loose the whole story is. Its quite amazing and I often wonder do priests start to question the whole story when studying theology etc but decide to go along with it because it was a decent career path.

I'm reminded of a quote I came across somewhere:"He thought he'd heard a voice calling him to the priesthood, but what it had actually said was 'It's an indoor job with no heavy lifting; do you really want to be a ploughman like your father?'"

Or, as it was said in Father Ted; the smarter brother was often sent to be a doctor and the other sent to be a priest. The 'heir and the spare' in Irish terms, I suppose, along with the cachet of having a clergyman in the family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

kylith wrote: »
    I'm reminded of a quote I came across somewhere:"He thought he'd heard a voice calling him to the priesthood, but what it had actually said was 'It's an indoor job with no heavy lifting; do you really want to be a ploughman like your father?'"

Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods", I believe. He had some choice words on the subject.

Quatermain wrote: »
    Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods", I believe. He had some choice words on the subject.

Thanks. Must reread that.

Apologies, kinda of got distracted by the good weather in the last few days :D
    Yes, there is.

We have absolute proof of the existence of the Roman Empire from a vast array of contemporary sources.

We have absolute proof of the existence of Roman Emperors from a vast array of contemporary sources .

There is no proof of the existence of Jesus - there is hearsay and commentaries written after the events they describe.

OK, if what we have for Caesar is 'proof' then what we also have proof for Jesus. Historians who do not think there is 'sufficient' historical evidence to show that Jesus at least 'existed' are in the minority. OK they are not primary source for Jesus, but they refer to Jesus as someone who actually existed and not as a figment of someone else's imagination.

The sources we do have for Jesus explicitly state that they were eyewitnesses to Jesus. See below:

" Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught. "
    Luke 4:1-4

" That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ."
    I John 1:1-3

" But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe."
    John 19:33-35

" We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain. "
    II Peter 1:15-18

Like I said I'm not trying to show that because these sources can be shown to be historically reliable sources for Jesus that that means that the stories of miracles and such in them are therefore true. I am not saying that at all. They don't even have to be regarded as inerrant, just independent sources for Jesus, sources which themselves claim to be primary sources, the earliest known fragments of which can be dated to within 150 years of the events they describe. That means that they must have been widely circulated prior to that time which would have to push the date of their writing to within the lifetimes of the actual eyewitnesses. And these are conservative dates, there is debate among scholars that the Magdalen fragment found in Oxford University dates back to within 50 years after the crucifixion.
    It seems to me that you are attempting to call all evidence into question in order to distract from the lack of evidence to support your argument. A case of 'there is no proof of this but there is proof of that' being countered with 'yeah, well what is proof when you think about it. There is no such thing as absolute proof just a matter of how much evidence there is.'

I wasn't calling any evidence into question. I agree that we have good evidence for Caesar et al, my point is that it is the same for Jesus. The primary sources for Caesar are well established but what we do have for Jesus are four accounts practically unchanged from the earliest fragmentary evidence. That's actually better than what we have for Caesar. The chart below is a good illustration of what I mean:

NTChart_zps26340e21.jpg

Wow - the 'historian' version of a creationism. :eek:

It doesn't matter what he is as long as he is not breaking any of the rules when it comes to his research.
    Lets begin by looking at Gary Habermas and the Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary and Graduate School, Lynchburg, Virginia where he works in the Dept. of Philosophy and Theology - so he is a theologian not a historian.

I'll try and quote just historians in future.
    The Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary and Graduate School was founded in 1973 by Jerry Falwall, a TV evangelist who stated among other things
    "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!" - so Jerry founded his own private college dedicated to 'quality Christian education' - not quality education - education with a specific agenda which conform to a specific religious ideology.

It doesn't matter what Jerry Falwell said either. He was entitled to his opinion. An opinion I don't share by the way and one I doubt Mr Habermas shares either.
    Gary Habermas, in his own words, " has dedicated his professional life to the examination of the relevant historical, philosophical, and theological issues surrounding the death and resurrection of Jesus. His extensive list of publications and debates provides a thorough account of the current state of the issue. Christian believers as well as unbelievers may find within the contents of this site a strong argument for the philosophical possibility of miracles and the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus, as well as the theological and practical implications of this event." http://www.garyhabermas.com/

Can't see anything wrong with that. :confused:
    Well there is a huge problem from the word go. A historian must strive to be objective. To examine the evidence and go where it leads them. They must not be subjective and search for evidence - or twist evidence - to suit a pre-conceived agenda, ignoring anything that does not fit. Yet you have quoted me passages from a man whose life work is to 'prove' the resurrection of Jesus and the existence of miracles who works at a private college who whole reason for being is to produce Baptist missionaries...hardly objective. FAIL.

Please tell me where it states or even hints at Gary Habermas not being objective or not examining the evidence under the section "Gary Habermas, in his own words" above.

Plus you said that historians should not look for evidence? Why not? If one holds to a particular world view then one should make sure that that view can be supported by evidence, one simply doesn't just wait for evidence to fall into one's lap. One looks for it. Of course I agree that one should not ignore evidence that goes against one's world view, one should mold one's world view by exposure to the available evidence and let the chips fall were they may. I fail to see where Mr Habermas falls into this category.
    Now, lets look at what Gary has to say as most of it really is utter tosh- I'll focus on the highlighted passage to illustrate what is wrong with Gary's 'evidence'.

So lets look at this passage:

Gaius Cornelius Tacitus; ca. 56 – ca. 117 : secondary source who referred to Christianity in the context of the Burning of Rome and persecution of Christians.

Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus; c. 69 – after 122 : another secondary source he also makes reference to Christians in the context of the Burning of Rome.

They are primary sources for events during Nero's reign but when it comes to events in Judea and Galilee in the years Jesus was meant to be active they are secondary sources - not proof of the existence of Jesus they are proof in the the existence of people who called themselves Christian being in Rome in 64 AD.

But Mr Habermas does not refer to them as being primary sources for Jesus though, he just said that several secular sources mention Jesus as someone who is assumed to have existed, so I'm not sure what you're arguing for here. :confused:
    Do you see the difference? it is very important.

Well I know what you're saying, I'm just not sure how it relates to what I or Mr Habermas have said. :confused:
    Flavius Josephus 37 – c. 100 - not a contemporary so yet another secondary source but does seem to have referred to the crucifixion. I say seem because it is agreed by scholars that Josephus' Testimonium Flavianum is not entirely authentic - problem is which bits are real. Significantly in works Josephus' wroth 20 years previous to Antiquities of the Jews(93 -94 AD) such as Jewish War (c72 AD) tere is no mention of Jesus at all.... how bizarre. Had he not heard of him in 70 AD?

Tampering was found to have been done by Christians on this for sure but what scholars have agreed 'are' the words of Josephus here still has him refer to Jesus as someone who actually existed saying that He was the brother of James who was martyred by the Jews in Jerusalem, so its pretty clear Josephus was referring to Jesus the Christ as the Christians called Him because they were brothers, even Paul refers to this James as the brother of the Lord in one of his epistles.
    As for 'these secular sources are quite early by the standards of ancient historiography.' - no. Just no. Firstly, We have written primary sources dating back to 1772 BC. Secondly we have an unbelievable amount of primary sources pertaining to the Roman Republic - never mind the Empire. Do you know why - because written records are vital for administering an empire. Same deal with Alexander. Same with Genghis Khan.

I agree, that is their function so its only natural to expect that they would not record the deeds of a simple peaceful itinerant preacher which is how the gospel narratives present Jesus for the most part. Btw, who was the 1772 BC primary source you mentioned about? You didn't say so just curious.
    In case you missed the point - I was referring to a period when an entire culture was being systematically destroyed (including all written records) and to a region that would have been considered very far from 'civilisation' in a time when it was being decimated. Added to this most of those records which did survive were blown up. Yet, I can name 3 children under 5 who were hanged and can provide at least 5 eyewitness accounts from both sides of the conflict. They were not important people. They were small children held hostage who paid the price for rebellion. Yet, there is not one surviving record contemporary with Jesus which refers to him even though he lived in an Empire obsessed with keeping written records among a people famed for their literacy. The silence from his contemporaries is deafening. The clamour from those who came afterwards and wished to paint him as the Messiah and Son of God is equally deafening - but unsupported by any actual evidence.

I have shown you already that the sources we have for Jesus claim to be primary sources themselves. If they are not actually primary sources then they are frauds because they claim to be primary sources. If they were frauds then one has to imagine why they would set about to perpetuate such a story. Is there any evidence either internal or external that supports the hypotheses that they were doing anything other than giving an account of Jesus's ministry? None that I can find.

Actually they pass all the normal tests of authenticity as I said earlier with 'flying colours'. They contain embarrassing details about the disciples themselves for instance. If these writers were setting out to make the disciples look good then they did a very poor job, so that could not have been their motivation. So what was their motivation? To become rich? To be loved by everyone? Nope because just being a Christian in those days - never mind a preacher - involved among other things, poverty, ostracization, ridicule and even death so if they were written by people other than the the names attributed to them it would be even harder to find what their motivation was. How can we be confident that they were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John?

There's a fairly good piece on that subject here

So what was their motivation? All that remains is that they simply set out to give an as accurate account of what they witnessed as they could. Certainly there are contradictions in some of the 'secondary' details in some of the gospels but that is what an historian expects to find when scrutinizing such texts for authenticity, it rules out collaboration on the part of the writers, in other words they didn't all sit around a table to make sure they got their story right, which is one more of the tests for authenticity that they pass. One could go on but you catch my drift.
    Indeed - what an extensive cut and paste from a source I have already explained is biased.

Being biased doesn't come into it. Biased or not facts are facts. Attacking the man whilst ignoring the facts he presents just shows how biased you are for your world view, so it works both ways. Mr Habermas wrote an article about Jesus and from reading that I cannot find him guilty of any of your accusations above. The reason he tries to 'find' historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is because its a 'big deal' if it is true, and we should endeavor to make sure that what our faith is actually based on i.e. the resurrection of Jesus, is actually true, and from what we have found so far Christians can be confident at least that what they have placed their faith in is as solid a fact of history as any other when you subject the sources to the normal tests of historicity already explained. You don't have to agree with the conclusion but if you are going to object then you must present counter evidence in the form of facts.

I think you kinda do. Otherwise why come onto this forum in the first place? To 'win souls'?

Maybe you're right and I do care. Maybe that's the God part in me. Who knows?
    Nobody would expect you do, but belief without evidence gets short shrift in this forum.

I know.
    You do if you want to be taken seriously. You claim to know that certain religious beliefs are fact and that the pope is wrong (I agree he is wrong on many things but probably not for the same reasons as you.)[/quote

The reason I can say that the Pope is wrong when it comes to the good deeds thing is based on the Teachings in the Bible not a private interpretation that I have about them. If the Bible is wrong about them things then its wrong about God, heaven and everything else as well maybe. If that's the case then the Pope is still wrong, because there is no heaven to get into by good deeds. My point is that the Pope's comments are not supported by scripture, in fact they are in direct contradiction to scripture. They might both be wrong, which would be what the atheists believes or one of them could be right but definitely both of them cannot be right.
    Christians can't even agree on what biblical texts are correct, what translations are correct, what interpretations are correct, and the degree of literal truth it is intended to convey.

That's because a lot of Christians nail the colours to the post (pardon the pun) before actually reading the scripture and finding out what it actually says in certain passages. But all Christians are in agreement that the resurrection of Jesus as a fact of history is essential for a basis for faith. Without that the whole stack of cards falls and it doesn't matter what doctrinal or theological differences certain groups or denominations might have. The apostle Paul said that without the resurrection our faith is vain.
    I'd be a lot more interested in any evidence at all for a deity based on what is observable in the world today. An omniscient being who supposedly made himself apparent on a regular basis in the middle east a few thousand years ago, but is nowhere to be seen today, lacks credibility to be honest. Where did god go?

Well Jesus said that an evil generation asks for sign but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and nights in the belly of a great fish so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the belly of the earth. I know you don't believe the story of Jonah and you don't actually have to believe that in order to get what Jesus is saying, basically what He is saying is that the only sign God has given the world in general is the sign of the resurrection. If you study this event with an open mind and heart and follow the evidence to its logical conclusion then you will find that there is no other answer, He came out of that tomb, but, (and I'm sure you won't), don't take my word for it, do your own research yourself, don't just say it didn't happen so its a waste of time even looking, its not, its worth it, because if it did happen then that is a paradigm shift in anyone's life, but if you do your own research and find a knock down argument or find evidence that it didn't happen then let me know, because I've better things to be doing with my life than wasting it on a false belief. I've yet to hear anyone that can show that Jesus did not raise from the dead but I have found many positive grounds for believing that the story is true. Only a similar case for its negation will convince me otherwise and I've yet to hear one.
    You chose to post about your beliefs in the atheist and agnostic forum, which is perfectly fine, but you can't expect the 'don't question or ridicule my beliefs' line to hold any weight here either.

I'm not that naive. I know I will get ridicule in here but your last post referred to me "wanting" it. I never 'want' it, who ever 'wants' it?
    You don't display too much humility yourself there :)

You're probably right but it wasn't my intention to come across like that.

We have good reasons for thinking that they were written by the disciples whose names are attached to them, this from carm.org:

"Dating the gospels is very important. If it can be established that the gospels were written early, say before the year 70 A.D., then we would have good reason for believing that they were written by the disciples of Jesus himself. If they were written by the disciples, then their reliability, authenticity, and accuracy are better substantiated. Also, if they were written early, this would mean that there would not have been enough time for myth to creep into the gospel accounts since it was the eyewitnesses to Christ's life that wrote them. Furthermore, those who were alive at the time of the events could have countered the gospel accounts and since we have no contradictory writings to the gospels, their early authorship as well as apostolic authorship becomes even more critical.

Destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. , Luke and Acts
    None of the gospels mention the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 A.D. This is significant because Jesus had prophesied concerning the temple when He said "As for these things which you are looking at, the days will come in which there will not be left one stone upon another which will not be torn down," (Luke 21:6, see also Matt. 24:1; Mark 13:1). This prophecy was fulfilled in 70 A.D. when the Romans sacked Jerusalem and burned the temple. The gold in the temple melted down between the stone walls and the Romans took the walls apart, stone by stone, to get the gold. Such an obvious fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy most likely would have been recorded as such by the gospel writers who were fond of mentioning fulfillment of prophecy if they had been written after 70 A.D. Also, if the gospels were fabrications of mythical events then anything to bolster the Messianic claims -- such as the destruction of the temple as Jesus said -- would surely have been included. But, it was not included suggesting that the gospels (at least Matthew, Mark, and Luke) were written before 70 A.D.

Similarly, this argument is important when we consider the dating of the book of Acts which was written after the gospel of Luke, by Luke himself. Acts is a history of the Christian church right after Jesus' ascension. Acts also fails to mention the incredibly significant events of 70 A.D. which would have been extremely relevant and prophetically important and would require inclusion into Acts had it occurred before Acts was written. Remember, Acts is a book of history concerning the Christians and the Jews. The fact that the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple is not recorded is very strong evidence that Acts was written before A.D. 70. We add to this the fact that Acts does not include the accounts of "Nero's persecution of the Christians in A.D. 64 or the deaths of [the apostle] James (A.D. 62), Paul (A.D. 64), and Peter (A.D. 65),"1 and we have further evidence that it was written early.

If we look at Acts 1:1-2 it says, "The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach, until the day when He was taken up, after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen." Most scholars affirm that Acts was written by Luke and that Theophilus (Grk. "lover of God") "may have been Luke's patron who financed the writing of Luke and Acts."2 This means that the gospel of Luke was written before Acts.

"At the earliest, Acts cannot have been written prior to the latest firm chronological marker recorded in the book - Festus's appointment as procurator (24:27), which, on the basis of independent sources, appears to have occurred between A.D. 55 and 59."3
    "It is increasingly admitted that the Logia [Q] was very early, before 50 A.D., and Mark likewise if Luke wrote the Acts while Paul was still alive. Luke's Gospel comes (Acts 1:1) before the Acts. The date of Acts is still in dispute, but the early date (about A.D. 63) is gaining support constantly."4
    For clarity, Q is supposedly one of the source documents used by both Matthew and Luke in writing their gospels. If Q actually existed then that would push the first writings of Christ's words and deeds back even further lessening the available time for myth to creep in and adding to the validity and accuracy of the gospel accounts. If what is said of Acts is true, this would mean that Luke was written at least before A.D. 63 and possibly before 55 - 59 since Acts is the second in the series of writings by Luke. This means that the gospel of Luke was written within 30 years of Jesus' death.

Matthew
    The early church unanimously held that the gospel of Matthew was the first written gospel and was penned by the apostle of the same name (Matt. 10:2-4). Lately, the priority of Matthew as the first written gospel has come under suspicion with Mark being considered by many to be the first written gospel. The debate is far from over.

The historian Papias mentions that the gospel of Matthew was originally in Aramaic or Hebrew and attributes the gospel to Matthew the apostle.5

"Irenaeus (ca. A.D. 180) continued Papias's views about Matthew and Mark and added his belief that Luke, the follower of Paul, put down in a book the gospel preached by that apostle, and that John, the Beloved Disciple, published his Gospel while residing in Asia. By the time of Irenaeus, Acts was also linked with Luke, the companion of Paul."6
    This would mean that if Matthew did write in Aramaic originally, that he may have used Mark as a map, adding and clarifying certain events as he remembered them. But, this is not known for sure.

The earliest quotation of Matthew is found in Ignatius who died around 115 A.D. Therefore, Matthew was in circulation well before Ignatius came on the scene. The various dates most widely held as possible writing dates of the Gospel are between A.D. 40 - 140. But Ignatius died around 115 A.D. and he quoted Matthew. Therefore Matthew had to be written before he died. Nevertheless, it is generally believed that Matthew was written before A.D. 70 and as early as A.D. 50.

Mark
    Mark was not an eyewitness to the events of Jesus' life. He was a disciple of Peter and undoubtedly it was Peter who informed Mark of the life of Christ and guided him in writing the Gospel known by his name. "Papias claimed that Mark, the Evangelist, who had never heard Christ, was the interpreter of Peter, and that he carefully gave an account of everything he remembered from the preaching of Peter."7 Generally, Mark is said to be the earliest gospel with an authorship of between A.D. 55 to A.D. 70.

Luke
    Luke was not an eyewitness of the life of Christ. He was a companion of Paul who also was not an eyewitness of Christ's life. But, both had ample opportunity to meet the disciples who knew Christ and learn the facts not only from them, but from others in the area. Some might consider this damaging to the validity of the gospel, but quite the contrary. Luke was a gentile convert to Christianity who was interested in the facts. He obviously had interviewed the eyewitnesses and written the Gospel account as well as Acts.

"The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach, until the day when He was taken up, after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen. To these He also presented Himself alive, after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them over a period of forty days, and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God," (Acts 1:1-3).
    Notice how Luke speaks of "them," of those who had personal encounters with Christ. Luke is simply recounting the events from the disciples. Since Luke agrees with Matthew, Mark, and John and since there is no contradictory information coming from any of the disciples stating that Luke was inaccurate, and since Luke has proven to be a very accurate historian, we can conclude that Luke's account is very accurate.

As far as dating the gospel goes, Luke was written before the book of Acts and Acts does not mention "Nero's persecution of the Christians in A.D. 64 or the deaths of James (A.D. 62), Paul (A.D. 64), and Peter (A.D. 65)."8Therefore, we can conclude that Luke was written before A.D. 62. "Luke's Gospel comes (Acts 1:1) before the Acts. The date of Acts is still in dispute, but the early date (about A.D. 63) is gaining support constantly."9

John
    The writer of the gospel of John was obviously an eyewitness of the events of Christ's life since he speaks from a perspective of having been there during many of the events of Jesus' ministry and displays a good knowledge of Israeli geography and customs.

The John Rylands papyrus fragment 52 of John's gospel dated in the year 135 contains portions of John 18, verses 31-33,37-38. This fragment was found in Egypt and a considerable amount of time is needed for the circulation of the gospel before it reached Egypt. It is the last of the gospels and appears to have been written in the 80's to 90's.

Of important note is the lack of mention of the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 A.D. But this is understandable since John was not focusing on historical events. Instead, he focused on the theological aspect of the person of Christ and listed His miracles and words that affirmed Christ's deity.

Though there is still some debate on the dates of when the gospels were written, they were most assuredly completed before the close of the first century and written by eyewitnesses or under the direction of eyewitnesses."

If they do then they are just living a lie and are not true servants of God or man, just hypocrites. Best to just be honest. But I doubt that what you said is true anyway. I'd say there are plenty of good priests who believe what they preach and of the many that don't anymore I'd say have left the priesthood, there are probably a few who never believed and just joined the priesthood for other reasons.

As for the non-catholics, yeah I'm sure a lot of them have turned from belief to either atheism or agnosticism but there are still a few believers left who believe that they have many good reasons for thinking that the story is true and don't have equally comparable reasons for thinking that its false. I'm one of them and the game is not up yet as far as I'm concerned, I've yet to be de-convinced by any evidence or even a good old fashioned logical deduction. But I am open to any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I cannot provide first hand eyewitness accounts, nor can anyone else for that matter, to anything in ancient history, but I don't have a problem believing that Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon or that Alexander the Great conquered Persia and so on. Why can we not view the gospel records in a similar light when it comes to the life, death and resurrection of Jesus? Give me a plausible reason why we can't and then explain why you cannot use the same logic when it comes to other ancients historical accounts as they relate to secular history.

This difference between believing in Jesus and say Julius Ceasar is that the Bible strongly implies that if we dont believe in Jesus we are going to suffer eternally in the afterlife, a claim that Julius Ceasar doesnt make as far as im aware.

Whether Julius Ceasar or anybody existed or not doesnt really matter, however christianity in general doesnt allow us to come to the same non believing opinion in relation to Jesus without suffering the consequences of an awaiting hell.

I know you don't believe the story of Jonah and you don't actually have to believe that in order to get what Jesus is saying, basically what He is saying is that the only sign God has given the world in general is the sign of the resurrection. If you study this event with an open mind and heart and follow the evidence to its logical conclusion then you will find that there is no other answer, He came out of that tomb, but, (and I'm sure you won't), don't take my word for it, do your own research yourself, don't just say it didn't happen so its a waste of time even looking, its not, its worth it, because if it did happen then that is a paradigm shift in anyone's life, but if you do your own research and find a knock down argument or find evidence that it didn't happen then let me know, because I've better things to be doing with my life than wasting it on a false belief. I've yet to hear anyone that can show that Jesus did not raise from the dead but I have found many positive grounds for believing that the story is true. Only a similar case for its negation will convince me otherwise and I've yet to hear one.

That just boils down to 'it's true because the bible says so' though.

Scrap the cap!

Apologies, kinda of got distracted by the good weather in the last few days :D

OK, if what we have for Caesar is 'proof' then what we also have proof for Jesus. Historians who do not think there is 'sufficient' historical evidence to show that Jesus at least 'existed' are in the minority. OK they are not primary source for Jesus, but they refer to Jesus as someone who actually existed and not as a figment of someone else's imagination.

The sources we do have for Jesus explicitly state that they were eyewitnesses to Jesus. See below:

" Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught. "
    Luke 4:1-4

" That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ."
    I John 1:1-3

" But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe."
    John 19:33-35

" We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain. "
    II Peter 1:15-18

Like I said I'm not trying to show that because these sources can be shown to be historically reliable sources for Jesus that that means that the stories of miracles and such in them are therefore true. I am not saying that at all. They don't even have to be regarded as inerrant, just independent sources for Jesus, sources which themselves claim to be primary sources, the earliest known fragments of which can be dated to within 150 years of the events they describe. That means that they must have been widely circulated prior to that time which would have to push the date of their writing to within the lifetimes of the actual eyewitnesses. And these are conservative dates, there is debate among scholars that the Magdalen fragment found in Oxford University dates back to within 50 years after the crucifixion.

I wasn't calling any evidence into question. I agree that we have good evidence for Caesar et al, my point is that it is the same for Jesus. The primary sources for Caesar are well established but what we do have for Jesus are four accounts practically unchanged from the earliest fragmentary evidence. That's actually better than what we have for Caesar. The chart below is a good illustration of what I mean:

NTChart_zps26340e21.jpg

It doesn't matter what he is as long as he is not breaking any of the rules when it comes to his research.

I'll try and quote just historians in future.

It doesn't matter what Jerry Falwell said either. He was entitled to his opinion. An opinion I don't share by the way and one I doubt Mr Habermas shares either.

Can't see anything wrong with that. :confused:

Please tell me where it states or even hints at Gary Habermas not being objective or not examining the evidence under the section "Gary Habermas, in his own words" above.

Plus you said that historians should not look for evidence? Why not? If one holds to a particular world view then one should make sure that that view can be supported by evidence, one simply doesn't just wait for evidence to fall into one's lap. One looks for it. Of course I agree that one should not ignore evidence that goes against one's world view, one should mold one's world view by exposure to the available evidence and let the chips fall were they may. I fail to see where Mr Habermas falls into this category.

But Mr Habermas does not refer to them as being primary sources for Jesus though, he just said that several secular sources mention Jesus as someone who is assumed to have existed, so I'm not sure what you're arguing for here. :confused:

Well I know what you're saying, I'm just not sure how it relates to what I or Mr Habermas have said. :confused:

Tampering was found to have been done by Christians on this for sure but what scholars have agreed 'are' the words of Josephus here still has him refer to Jesus as someone who actually existed saying that He was the brother of James who was martyred by the Jews in Jerusalem, so its pretty clear Josephus was referring to Jesus the Christ as the Christians called Him because they were brothers, even Paul refers to this James as the brother of the Lord in one of his epistles.

I agree, that is their function so its only natural to expect that they would not record the deeds of a simple peaceful itinerant preacher which is how the gospel narratives present Jesus for the most part. Btw, who was the 1772 BC primary source you mentioned about? You didn't say so just curious.

I have shown you already that the sources we have for Jesus claim to be primary sources themselves. If they are not actually primary sources then they are frauds because they claim to be primary sources. If they were frauds then one has to imagine why they would set about to perpetuate such a story. Is there any evidence either internal or external that supports the hypotheses that they were doing anything other than giving an account of Jesus's ministry? None that I can find.

Actually they pass all the normal tests of authenticity as I said earlier with 'flying colours'. They contain embarrassing details about the disciples themselves for instance. If these writers were setting out to make the disciples look good then they did a very poor job, so that could not have been their motivation. So what was their motivation? To become rich? To be loved by everyone? Nope because just being a Christian in those days - never mind a preacher - involved among other things, poverty, ostracization, ridicule and even death so if they were written by people other than the the names attributed to them it would be even harder to find what their motivation was. How can we be confident that they were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John?

There's a fairly good piece on that subject here

So what was their motivation? All that remains is that they simply set out to give an as accurate account of what they witnessed as they could. Certainly there are contradictions in some of the 'secondary' details in some of the gospels but that is what an historian expects to find when scrutinizing such texts for authenticity, it rules out collaboration on the part of the writers, in other words they didn't all sit around a table to make sure they got their story right, which is one more of the tests for authenticity that they pass. One could go on but you catch my drift.

Being biased doesn't come into it. Biased or not facts are facts. Attacking the man whilst ignoring the facts he presents just shows how biased you are for your world view, so it works both ways. Mr Habermas wrote an article about Jesus and from reading that I cannot find him guilty of any of your accusations above. The reason he tries to 'find' historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is because its a 'big deal' if it is true, and we should endeavor to make sure that what our faith is actually based on i.e. the resurrection of Jesus, is actually true, and from what we have found so far Christians can be confident at least that what they have placed their faith in is as solid a fact of history as any other when you subject the sources to the normal tests of historicity already explained. You don't have to agree with the conclusion but if you are going to object then you must present counter evidence in the form of facts.

I have several meetings and my uncles's funeral to attend today so don't have a lot of time to go through this in detail so forgive me if I am blunt.

A primary source is one that is contemporary with the events it describes written by a person with first hand knowledge.

A secondary source is not contemporary - it may be based on eyewitness accounts but the author themselves will not be that eyewitness so will be relaying 2nd (or 3rd/4th) hand knowledge.

There is no primary source which refers to Jesus - never mind his alleged resurrection.

This is a person who was (allegedly) executed in a very specific manner. A manner that was used for one purpose and one purpose only - to publicly punish those deemed guilty of treason against the Roman Empire in a deliberately lengthy and excruciatingly painful way to deter others.

Jesus (if he ever existed) was killed not for being an itinerant preacher but because he was considered enough of a threat to Rome that he had to be executed by the State - yet, there is no record????

As I said before all there is is a deafening silence from Jesus' alleged contemporaries followed by a deafening clamour by those who came after and sought to portray him in a particular way.

Quoting the Bible to 'prove' the Bible is correct - that is classic circular logic.
    I could use the Koran to 'prove' the Koran is correct in the way you have used the Bible - would you therefore accept that the Koran is the word of God who is named Allah and Mohammad is his Prophet?

As for Habermas' lack of objectivity - I think at this point you are not interested in an actual discussion of how the discipline of history works and why Habermas and his ilk have not met the burden of proof as required of a work of history and are seeking only to be confirmed in what you wish to believe to be true. You are in the wrong forum for that.

There is no way you will ever get any true historian - or indeed anyone who is looking for concrete evidence - to accept his particular brand of pseudo-history as correct - any more than you will get them to accept David Irving's. Plus yes, if you are going to argue that the 'history' you are espousing is correct it would help your cause if you used historians to support your claims rather than theologians. In the same way as if you were discussing planetary movements you wouldn't be doing your cause much good by extensively quoting a marine biologist.

If you think Falwell and Habermas' religious beliefs combined with the fact that the college in question is dedicated to promoting a specific religious ideology is irrelevant and the latter is genuinely objective then I have a lovely bridge in Cork you may be interested in purchasing. I should warn you, it is a shaky as Habermas' research.

Soul Winner, using the Bible as a source of proof for biblical events is ridiculous. If people accepted books as proofs of themselves then there is lots of evidence that foxes have language, that if I hook the right stuff up to a potato I can travel between alternate realities, and that dinosaurs still roam South American plateaus.

Please provide non-biblical references. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That's because a lot of Christians nail the colours to the post (pardon the pun) before actually reading the scripture and finding out what it actually says in certain passages.

Isn't that a bit... arrogant of you? Other people are wrong because they haven't read the bible, or haven't read it the way YOU do (which is obviously the correct one)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

Philologos V2.0?

Couldn't be him. Soul Winner is actually engaging in a debate.

Sarky wrote: »
    Couldn't be him. Soul Winner is actually engaging in a debate.

Is he...?

If he is he seems to be missing a lot of points.

Perhaps, but nobody has so far used:

"It's logical to me that [totally illogical statement]"
    "Come back when you're ready for a debate [I can't defend my claims so I'll scream persecution]"
    "That point that destroys mine is better suited to [forum], so I'll not address it"
    "I've already answered this [I haven't already answered this]"

So I don't think there's any comparison to philly.

Perhaps, but nobody has so far used:

"It's logical to me that [totally illogical statement]"
    "Come back when you're ready for a debate [I can't defend my claims so I'll scream persecution]"
    "That point that destroys mine is better suited to [forum], so I'll not address it"
    "I've already answered this [I haven't already answered this]"

So I don't think there's any comparison to philly.

You forgot 'I will consider this and get back to you' *runs away from thread*.

So we can't really tell until the door is heading for his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

"Pope proclaims all redeemed, even atheists. "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!"

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/05/22/pope_at_mass:_culture_of_encounter_is_the_foundation_of_peace/en1-694445

It was my understanding that you had to be baptised, accept christ/god to go to heaven, what is the actual stance of the church on this? Luckily we're all saved lads! Is it their stance that we can be..."the good pagan"?

We are all redeemed but we have to willingly "accept" that redemption or some nonsense.

Or to put it another way there was a cult leader 2000 years ago how said he could promise people redemption from their sins and all they had to do was believe he was the son of god and worship him as such.

Clearly we have moved on since then :rolleyes:

http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?sid=11&aid=381&dir=2013/May/Friday31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Jesus (if he ever existed) was killed not for being an itinerant preacher but because he was considered enough of a threat to Rome that he had to be executed by the State - yet, there is no record????

Isn't there almost universal agreement among modern scholars that Jesus existed? Just as there are historians with personal agendas who attempt to confirm the orthodox Christian view of Jesus, there are a small number of historians that have attempted to create a Jesus myth argument, some of them with an ax to grind against Christianity. I read a statistic that 40% of atheists in the UK do not believe that Jesus existed, a view in opposition to the consensus view of historical scholars. From what I have read there appears to be consensus among scholars that Jesus lived in Judea, was baptised by John the Baptist, and was crucified on the orders of Pontius Pilate. What he did between baptism and crucifixion seems to be the bit in question ;)

The Romans weren't shy about crucifying Jews or any non Romans for that matter. According to Josephus, during the siege of Jerusaleum in 70AD, there were 500 Jews crucified per day. Its not like they reserved crucifixition for special cases either. The gospel claim that Jesus was crucified for claiming he was God (or not denying he was God) is very plausible, as the Romans commonly executed "atheists" who believed in a God other than the Roman Gods. This is why so many early Christians were executed, ironically for being atheists.

I think on balance the most likely reality is that Jesus was largely unknown (even among the Jews) during his lifetime, save for his followers, and like a lot of historical figures became much more famous after his death. Personally I find the Nag Hammadi library the most compelling evidence for not just his existance, but what he actually preached, as it was compiled before Christianity became "standardized" to appeal to the Romans. The Gospel of Thomas for example consists only of sayings attributed to Jesus and is claimed to have been originally written by one of his apostles. While it has a fair bit in common with the official gospels in terms of parables, there is no mention of miracles, of Jesus claiming to be God, or a resurrection.

If you haven't come across her, Elaine Pagels is a good source on the Nag Hammadi materials and on early Christianity in general. According to her interpretation the core message from Jesus in the Nag Hammadi material is quite at odds with the orthodox Christian view, that rather than Jesus claiming to be God, what he actually said was that we all come from God and should seek God within ourselves. This is much more consistent with other mystical traditions.

nagirrac wrote: »
    Isn't there almost universal agreement among modern scholars that Jesus existed? Just as there are historians with personal agendas who attempt to confirm the orthodox Christian view of Jesus, there are a small number of historians that have attempted to create a Jesus myth argument, some of them with an ax to grind against Christianity. I read a statistic that 40% of atheists in the UK do not believe that Jesus existed, a view in opposition to the consensus view of historical scholars. From what I have read there appears to be consensus among scholars that Jesus lived in Judea, was baptised by John the Baptist, and was crucified on the orders of Pontius Pilate. What he did between baptism and crucifixion seems to be the bit in question ;)

The Romans weren't shy about crucifying Jews or any non Romans for that matter. According to Josephus, during the siege of Jerusaleum in 70AD, there were 500 Jews crucified per day. Its not like they reserved crucifixition for special cases either. The gospel claim that Jesus was crucified for claiming he was God (or not denying he was God) is very plausible, as the Romans commonly executed "atheists" who believed in a God other than the Roman Gods. This is why so many early Christians were executed, ironically for being atheists.

I think on balance the most likely reality is that Jesus was largely unknown (even among the Jews) during his lifetime, save for his followers, and like a lot of historical figures became much more famous after his death. Personally I find the Nag Hammadi library the most compelling evidence for not just his existance, but what he actually preached, as it was compiled before Christianity became "standardized" to appeal to the Romans. The Gospel of Thomas for example consists only of sayings attributed to Jesus and is claimed to have been originally written by one of his apostles. While it has a fair bit in common with the official gospels in terms of parables, there is no mention of miracles, of Jesus claiming to be God, or a resurrection.

If you haven't come across her, Elaine Pagels is a good source on the Nag Hammadi materials and on early Christianity in general. According to her interpretation the core message from Jesus in the Nag Hammadi material is quite at odds with the orthodox Christian view, that rather than Jesus claiming to be God, what he actually said was that we all come from God and should seek God within ourselves. This is much more consistent with other mystical traditions.

The issue here is that as regards the Historicity that Soul Winner was referring to - it doesn't matter what I believe, he (she?) believes or what the entire School of History in Clare College believes. (Just like it doesn't matter what physicists believe- what matters is what they can demonstrate.) What matters when throwing around terms like historical accuracy is what we can 'prove' by referencing the evidence. Otherwise we are in the realms of conjecture - which is fine, just don't claim that this conjecture is fact.

Soul Winner argued that there are primary sources to prove the existence of Jesus - there arn't and to say there are is simply not true.

This is why the likes of Habermas are forced to throw Tacitus et al into the mix and construct a pseudo-history and muddy the debate by making statements that say Josephus said there were Christians therefore Jesus existed and the Bible is correct. That is stretching the evidence and extrapolating from it that which cannot be demonstrated.

No one is disputing that Christians existed - what is in dispute is the historical accuracy of the NT. If the evidence was really there they wouldn't need to construct such unsupported arguments.

Of course his name wasn't 'Jesus' so they could be looking for the wrong bloke. :D

Soul Winner stated (and I have read others like Philo and PDN make this statement) that the NT is the most accurate ancient document in existence. Is it 'uck! It's province is unknown, it's authors unknown, date of composition unknown, and any edits unknown. There are reams of documents that pre-date 1 AD where we know who wrote them, when they wrote them, have various copies of them for comparison etc etc.

Quite frankly no - 'Jesus' did not live in Judea and was baptised by 'John' the Baptist - a bloke (or several blokes - the Biblical bloke could be a composite) possibly named Joshua or some other Hebrew name now lost to us whose mother was named Myriam may have been 'baptised' by his cousin named Jonathan may or may not have lived and preached and been crucified in Judea c 33 AD... it is possible.

Has it been 'proven' with reference to verifiable contemporary evidence - Absolutely Not.

If concrete evidence was to emerge as to the existence of 'Jesus' would this 'prove' his divinity?

Would it 'prove' his resurrection?

Would it 'prove' he died for 'our' sins?

Personally I reckon he did exist but his identity and 'mission' has been completely subverted to suit the agenda of those who came after. But even if he did exist - doesn't mean he was the 'son of god'.

It's a bit like 'Grace O Malley' in Irish history - did she actually exist? Well, there most certainly was a Gráinne Ní Mháille (and she was damn cool) but she and the myth of 'the Pirate Queen of Connacht' have very little in common and those aspects they do share have been twisted to suit Nationalist agendas and Feminist agendas to such an extent that Gráinne has been lost in the legend of 'Grace'.
    So did Grace O Malley The Pirate Queen of Connacht as celebrated in song, legend and a huge industry exist? No.
    There was a woman named Gráinne Ní Mháille and she did have ships and she did indulge in a spot of extorting tolls with menaces and some light raiding...we have the evidence for her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Soul Winner stated (and I have read others like Philo and PDN make this statement) that the NT is the most accurate ancient document in existence. Is it 'uck! It's province is unknown, it's authors unknown, date of composition unknown, and any edits unknown.
    Bart Erhman is fond of pointing out that the number of textual differences amongst the very early manuscripts exceeds the number of words they contain. Granted the majority of those differences are unimportant, but many do change the meaning of the text, subtly or less so.

More entertainingly, the Codex Vaticanus, one of the four ancient almost-complete manuscripts of what's know known as the bible, has a rather splendid marginal note about copyists introducing errors. When asked about this note, a certain well-known poster from over the fence replied that this was good news, since it meant there was a quality-assurance system in place for copyists, thus the text was actually more reliable and not less. It's hard to argue with that kind of logic.
    Idiot and clown, leave the old reading and don't change it!
    The note itself is on the following page, between the first and second columns:

256990.jpg

Of course his name wasn't 'Jesus' so they could be looking for the wrong bloke. :D

Quite frankly no - 'Jesus' did not live in Judea and was baptised by 'John' the Baptist - a bloke (or several blokes - the Biblical bloke could be a composite) possibly named Joshua or some other Hebrew name now lost to us whose mother was named Myriam may have been 'baptised' by his cousin named Jonathan may or may not have lived and preached and been crucified in Judea c 33 AD... it is possible.

Working backwards from English to Latin to Greek and finally to Hebrew, I believe the correct phonetic name for Jesus is Yeshua. Although the direct English translation of Yeshua is Joshua, the fact that the translation was first to Greek is I understand the reason the English name ended up as Jesus.

I agree with essentially eveything in your post, although I think most neutral modern scholars, when reviewing all the available evidence, largely accept the basics I outlined (although now that I see what I wrote originally, he was likely never in Judea until he took on the religious establishment in Jerusalem and lost). I think it is a reasonable position to give more credibility to those scholars who weild neither the Christian ax nor the strong atheist ax, such as Bart Erhman that robindch mentioned. In just the same way when reading any historian you have to consider whether they have a bias, even in recent historical accounts, let alone antiquity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I think it is a reasonable position to give more credibility to those scholars who weild neither the Christian ax nor the strong atheist ax, such as Bart Erhman that robindch mentioned.
    While interpretations are open to question, facts, however, have no bias, regardless of how much people might claim or believe otherwise.

Anyhow, while I'm not quite sure what exactly this "the strong atheist ax" is that you're referring to -- a blunter, more brutal variation on Ockham's Razor? -- Erhman is not an atheist, he's an agnostic:

http://ehrmanblog.org/am-i-an-agnostic-or-an-atheist-2/

Sorry, misunderstanding, or perhaps unclear English on my behalf.
    I was giving Erhman a +1 for being neutral and not wielding any ax.

I agree facts in themselves have no bias. The bias generally comes in with what facts a historian chooses to mention or ignore, and as you say how he/she interprets the facts. As we know much of wartime history for example is written by the conqueror, so facts tend to be selectively reported.

Axe. ):<

Working backwards from English to Latin to Greek and finally to Hebrew, I believe the correct phonetic name for Jesus is Yeshua. Although the direct English translation of Yeshua is Joshua, the fact that the translation was first to Greek is I understand the reason the English name ended up as Jesus.

I agree with essentially eveything in your post, although I think most neutral modern scholars, when reviewing all the available evidence, largely accept the basics I outlined (although now that I see what I wrote originally, he was likely never in Judea until he took on the religious establishment in Jerusalem and lost). I think it is a reasonable position to give more credibility to those scholars who weild neither the Christian ax nor the strong atheist ax, such as Bart Erhman that robindch mentioned. In just the same way when reading any historian you have to consider whether they have a bias, even in recent historical accounts, let alone antiquity.

I believe the reason he is named 'Jesus' was to sell him in Rome. This is pure conjecture on my part.

I have an atheist axe now?? ;) Dammit. Can't seem to find it.

ALL historians should put aside their personal beliefs and view the evidence without bias. Yes, this is easier said than done. Hence the obsession with footnotes. The arguments are about interpretation. What no one who is claiming to be presenting historical fact should do is manipulate evidence to suit their bias and Habermas etc do this with vigor.

If they had proof of the existence of Jesus one can be sure we would have heard it by now. But that would prove only that this man lived and personally, axe or no axe, I have no issue would that. As I said , I reckon he probably did (more conjecture) but proving he was divine....
    I have read primary sources that state Caligula was a god - don't believe he was for a second. I posit that it was easier (and safer) for everyone to go along with it and this is why the sources make this claim.

In the land of the free and the home of the brave its an ax sarky ;)
    Why use more letters than are necessary is my motto

I thought spelling nazism was frowned upon on this forum or are some excluded :confused:

I believe the reason he is named 'Jesus' was to sell him in Rome. This is pure conjecture on my part.

I have an atheist axe now?? ;) Dammit. Can't seem to find it.

ALL historians should put aside their personal beliefs and view the evidence without bias. Yes, this is easier said than done. Hence the obsession with footnotes. The arguments are about interpretation. What no one who is claiming to be presenting historical fact should not do is manipulate evidence to suit their bias and Habermas etc do this with vigor.

I never said you had an ax(e);)

Apparently the Greek Old Testament which was translated from the Hebrew in 3 BCE used the name (phonetic) Isous for Yeshua. This became Iesus in Latin and hence Jesus in English. Seems the simplest explanation to me.

I'm not familiar with him but does Habermus manipulate evidence or just interpret it in an orthodox Christian fashion? I agree some of the evidence is quite weak, especially the New Testament, but when considered with all other evidence, such as the Nag Hammadi library, I think the case for an actual living Jesus is much stronger than that of a mythical Jesus.

If you look at the opposite side of the spectrum, you have strong atheist historians like Earl Doherty, whose "Jesus, neither God nor Man" Erhman had this to say about: "filled with so many undocumented statements and claims, and so many misstatements of facts, that it would take a 2,400 page book to deal with all the problems". This is the same Erhman who believes most of the New Testament is a forgery.

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth :)

Apparently the Greek Old Testament which was translated from the Hebrew in 3 BCE used the name (phonetic) Isous for Yeshua. This became Iesus in Latin and hence Jesus in English. Seems the simplest explanation to me.

I'm not familiar with him but does Habermus manipulate evidence or just interpret it in an orthodox Christian fashion? I agree some of the evidence is quite weak, especially the New Testament, but when considered with all other evidence, such as the Nag Hammadi library, I think the case for an actual living Jesus is much stronger than that of a mythical Jesus.

If you look at the opposite side of the spectrum, you have strong atheist historians like Earl Doherty, whose "Jesus, neither God nor Man" Erhman had this to say about: "filled with so many undocumented statements and claims, and so many misstatements of facts, that it would take a 2,400 page book to deal with all the problems". This is the same Erhman who believes most of the New Testament is a forgery.

Gary Habermas was quoted extensively a few posts back. Sadly, the quotee appears to have gone away now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

*Cough* Ahem. *Cough*
    :pac:

Berutheil! Jernal's picking on meeeee!

• Advertisement

I actually do have several axes but I don't know if they have any religious beliefs or not as I have always considered them to be tools - except the tattoo of one I have on my shoulder. :D

Any historian who allows their personal bias to influence their work grinds my axe which is why I spend a lot of time arguing with people...If I have to write about how the disestablishment of the RCC in England caused untold damage to society in an unbiased way then damned if I am going to listen to others pushing agendas.

Advertisement