Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primetime 27-5-13 creche expose [read mod notes in post #4 and #434]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I have two friends who work within the hse in child protection roles and they have always absolutely and totally refused to send their kids anywhere near any creche. Take from that what you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Unknown721987

CaraMay wrote: »
    I have two friends who work within the hse in child protection roles and they have always absolutely and totally refused to send their kids anywhere near any creche. Take from that what you will...

I can absolutely understnd that! In fact, one of the main reason we are leaving Ireland to move to Germany is childcare. I wouldn't want to work in a creche here, definetely wouldn't want to put my son into one, and certainly am not paying a grand a month for small rooms, tiny gardens, plastic "disney" merchandise toys, "report papers"... And our decision was long made before even watching the neglect and managment problems on primetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The poster who was concerned that the toddlers were out in a public park in the first place: have you seen the outdoor areas in most creches? I hate to see these little outside cages, plastered with rubber floor and stuffed with pointless cheap plastic toys. I would be more concerned as a parent if my child goes to a creche from 8 to 5 without any chance of running around, feeling grass, exploring.

Yes I have seen the outdoor area in creches. I chose one with a big outdoor area, with trees, plants and grass, exactly for that reason. Kids most certainly need to be outside.

I live in an urban area. For the kids to get from the creche to a public park would mean a walk down a very busy road. I am glued to her hand when we walk along roads normally... I wouldn't do it myself with more toddlers than I had arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

pwurple wrote: »
    YI am glued to her hand when we walk along roads normally... I wouldn't do it myself with more toddlers than I had arms.

The creche workers I saw in the park, on at least one of the days, there were 4 staff and about 10 kids (maybe less?) - all the kids were wearing hi vis - they were about age 4 Id say (Im quite bad at judging childrens ages but I would think they were almost school age).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't necessarily see the issue with going to the park. Our youngest was on a nature walk from Montessori yesterday, for example. It'd be the attention of the staff to and from, and while there, that would be more important (especially in light of some cases in the last few years).

The smoking whilst on duty is a different thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It'd depend on the specifics I think. Giraffe in belarmine has trips to the outside playground and park quite often, but then, well, look at the map:

257352.png

That's the creche outlined in red, the playground in question in yellow, the park in green and the purple circle is the nearest doctor (the belarmine medical center).

I mean, with that layout, it's a pretty good idea to take them to the playground on sunny days at that age (and when they're younger, you can see that there are two enclosed outdoor areas for the wobblers and the toddlers (the two areas are seperated so the larger toddlers don't knock over the wobblers).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The creche my kids were in would put them in triple buggies and bring them for walks on days like this,I thought that it was lovely:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I know of one community crèche where they have a long buggy thing where they can take about 10 smallies out at a time. I think it's a great idea. I'd love if our creche had the resources to take them out on nature walks etc in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nordieboy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Narnia2010

Nordieboy wrote: »

This happened last Friday??? You would think that staff would be on high alert after everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Creche reports to be available online from 1st July

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0611/456021-frances-fitzgerald-creches/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitmotiv

Creche reports to be available online from 1st July

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0611/456021-frances-fitzgerald-creches/

Don't hold your breath.....

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

leitmotiv wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath.....

Good thing I didn't hold my breath....

Good thing I didn't hold my breath....

"Publishing inspection reports online as soon as possible is an essential step in ensuring high standards and accountability. From 1 July, all new inspection reports, which are quality-assured once issued to the providers, will be published online." Minister for Children, Frances Fitzgerald, TD on June 11th at the Joint Committee on Health and Children.

Let's see....

In the meantime, for any parents who actually want results rather than waiting on politicians, FOI requests will return any report you were interested in (though they will redact personal information like staff names). I'm reading the last five years of reports on the Giraffe in Belarmine right now, for example (and the incident in 2010 looks awful on the report but had been rectified by the time we got to a year before the primetime report, and the HSE report goes out of its way at that point to say good things about the creche).

Incidentally, the earlier mentions of how creches were marked as compliant despite not being so? Turns out to be things like the inspector noticing that a drain outside the creche needed a cover or some other small noncompliance, but no other faults; the most serious thing I can see in one of those compliant-but-with-non-compliances is that the AGS hadn't finished doing the vetting paperwork on an employee even though every thing else had been done correctly (and those incidents are specifically noted).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the big show

Will be seeking report on links latchford do I contact figal cc?

You don't contact the CC, you contact the HSE: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84829283&postcount=280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Belarmine makes the news yet again

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0724/464285-giraffe-creche-stepaside/

Two toddlers leave Dublin creche alone

An investigation is under way at the Giraffe creche at Belarmine, Stepaside in Dublin after two toddlers were found outside the creche yesterday.
    In a statement issued last night, management at the creche confirmed the two children had managed to leave the premises by themselves.
    They said an animal handler who had brought pets in to show the children had failed to properly close a side gate and the toddlers walked out.
    A Giraffe carer observed the children were missing and located them, along with a local resident, on a grass patch outside the creche.
    Management confirmed that the correct staff ratio was present at the time.
    It is not clear how long the children had been outside the premises.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Wife was in dropping our child in to the creche this morning, was shown the gate etc and had it fully explained what had happened.

Staff are pretty upset, gate looked as though it was closed but latch had not clicked fully/properly, they are getting a new lock/mechanism installed today.

Very unfortunate/unlucky, apparantly reporters were swarming the place within 30 mins of it happening :(

Wife was in dropping our child in to the creche this morning, was shown the gate etc and had it fully explained what had happened.

Staff are pretty upset, gate looked as though it was closed but latch had not clicked fully/properly, they are getting a new lock/mechanism installed today.

Very unfortunate/unlucky, apparantly reporters were swarming the place within 30 mins of it happening :(

Yeah my Mrs was telling me about it. She got a call last night from head office to give other managers a heads up on what happened in case the parasites were at her creche today. Easy error to make i know (have twice thought stair gate was fully closed when wasn't) but that won't appease some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

The kids (19 mth old's) went down concrete steps after getting out the gate, crossed the road, wandered down a pathway around a corner and were found by a member of the public playing near open water. She then called the guards before some of the creche staff came down looking for them. The parents were not shown CCTV footage yesterday evening despite requesting to see it as soon as they were informed of the incident and have not been told how long the kids were missing.

This is not unfortunate or unlucky, it is a disgrace after all that went on before. There was 3 staff looking after 11 kids apparently yet 2 went missing for an unspecified time and wandered a good distance from the creche. We gave the creche the benefit of doubt the last time but I think this is it now for us.

Weetabix wrote: »
    The kids (19 mth old's) went down concrete steps after getting out the gate, crossed the road, wandered down a pathway around a corner and were found by a member of the public playing near open water. She then called the guards before some of the creche staff came down looking for them. The parents were not shown CCTV footage yesterday evening despite requesting to see it as soon as they were informed of the incident and have not been told how long the kids were missing.

This is not unfortunate or unlucky, it is a disgrace after all that went on before. There was 3 staff looking after 11 kids apparently yet 2 went missing for an unspecified time and wandered a good distance from the creche. We gave the creche the benefit of doubt the last time but I think this is it now for us.

Wow if that's what happened (i don't know and am not saying it didn't) then that's absolutely disgraceful
    . What did the guards say? I presume this was reported to the HSE (not that the toothless tigers ever do anything)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

If that's what happened then that is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Parents were talking to guards, not sure what was said to be honest. I would assume the HSE will be informed but as you say I doubt they will do anything about it as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Whatever next!!!!!!!!!!! They should be closed down, enough is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Holy Moly.

Crossed a road?

Playing near water on their own?

That could have gone horribly horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just reading that gives me the chills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Management confirmed that the correct staff ratio was present at the time

That's nearly more worrying, were they incompetent, uninterested??? How did they not notice 2 of the 4 or 5 (not sure of ratio for 19 mth olds) kids under their personal care had wandered off.

Advertisement