Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primetime 27-5-13 creche expose [read mod notes in post #4 and #434]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

mrsqueen wrote: »
    Yes, but how about including children under the scheme when they are not in the creche for those days and hours? Managers get a lot of PPS numbers from children and they play with them as they please.

I understand you now. Thanks. Very hard for pobal to see this on their announced visits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GiggidyKarl

I work in a creche very close to the links creche, I am not at all surprised by the recent revelations, just surprised it has taken so long to come out. We have all kinds of stuff about links.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Heading into RTE to see the footage in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Hope it's nothing too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Any update on what you saw?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2 days later and still nothing about what you seen? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

bumper234 wrote: »
    2 days later and still nothing about what you seen? :rolleyes:

Nobody is obliged to come back and update any post they make here. Be patient and stop posting asking for updates. Next time you'll get an official warning.

January wrote: »
    Nobody is obliged to come back and update any post they make here. Be patient and stop posting asking for updates. Next time you'll get an official warning.

lol at official warning because i asked for updates. Nice to know different mods from different sites all seem to have read the same handbook on how to oppress posters.

The reason i asked a couple of times is simple. He was one of the most vocal about how badly this creche was ran and therefore if the footage was as horrendous as made out to be i am sure he would have been back gloating about how he was right. But hey i better not keep asking because you know infractions, warnings and ban hammers from an internet forum (SHOCK HORROR) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

lol at official warning because i asked for updates. Nice to know different mods from different sites all seem to have read the same handbook on how to oppress posters.

The reason i asked a couple of times is simple. He was one of the most vocal about how badly this creche was ran and therefore if the footage was as horrendous as made out to be i am sure he would have been back gloating about how he was right. But hey i better not keep asking because you know infractions, warnings and ban hammers from an internet forum (SHOCK HORROR) :D

From looking at his posting history on this thread he actually seems to be one of the more supportive posters for the creche

Quote from Sheep: "Based on what we know am fully behind the crèche, daughter loves it and everybody is very friendly, would be a disaster of it closed with huge disruption to the kids (am told that wont be happening which is a relief). "

Your posts on the other hand do have bias in them and to be honest are really starting to come across as insensitive. I know you want to see the creche be vindicated but going down this route is not the best way to support your partner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Nice to know different mods from different sites all seem to have read the same handbook on how to oppress posters.
    If only posters would read the official charter of the forum they post in... Your sarcasm is both noted and undesirable. Moderate your own posting style or you can cease posting on Parenting.

Calhoun wrote: »
    From looking at his posting history on this thread he actually seems to be one of the more supportive posters for the creche

Quote from Sheep: "Based on what we know am fully behind the crèche, daughter loves it and everybody is very friendly, would be a disaster of it closed with huge disruption to the kids (am told that wont be happening which is a relief). "

Your posts on the other hand do have bias in them and to be honest are really starting to come across as insensitive. I know you want to see the creche be vindicated but going down this route is not the best way to support your partner.

Yeah my mistake i got posters mixed up. Still surprised no update though. As for wanting to see belarmine or giraffe vindicated you could not be more wrong. If allegations are true and children were mistreated or abused then i would be one of the first calling for arrests and closures. But i also believe that sensationalist headlines have made this molehill into an everest. Better not zay any more mods are getting angry at me. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That's pretty much the opposite of what the poster previously posted. Posted nearly every couple of hours about being fully supportive of the crèche and anti the reporter who did the difficult work, views footage pre broadcast and then stops posting in thread altogether.

If your opinion on why a poster would do that is correct then the exact opposite inference to the one you want can be drawn.

Apologies for the delay in posting.

Watched the clip yesterday morning at RTE (believe there were a few groups seeing it, think there was 8 of us).

There's no denying some of the footage was upsetting, in a nutshell it consisted of the following:

Strapping of children in chairs for long periods of time (up to 2 hours across a day)
    Turning a child in a chair towards a fridge/wall as some sort of punishment
    Pushing a child's head down into a mattress when they were not wanting to go to sleep
    Fabrication of a child's daily book (time slept etc)
    Register of allergies not updated in the kitchen

To be honest don't think the story is particularly balanced, for all the above except the last point it makes no mention that this unacceptable behaviour came from one staff member in one room. It also doesn't say how many days the footage was taken from over the six month period RTE were undercover for.

Regarding the last point, it is bad that the allergy list is not updated in the kitchen but in fairness each child has their own laminated placemat with this information on it.

Clearly some of the other parents in the room after we viewed it were upset, some had already taken their child out.

On a personal note, have no intention of removing our child. As I say it was one staff member in one room, that staff member could be working in any creche in the country (or the world for that matter). Think it is unfair all rooms/staff are essentially being tarred with the same brush. There is very little said about the good work the creche does for children.

I think if the creche implement CCTV so staff can be randomly checked to ensure they are adhering to policies etc (and presumably the staff member involved will be dismissed) then the issue should be resolved.

Can see some court cases arising from parents looking for some €€€€

Still no idea/confirmation about the screening date. We have been given an email address to send comments too and we plan to send something about the lack of balance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Think it is unfair all rooms/staff are essentially being tarred with the same brush. There is very little said about the good work the creche does for children.

Thanks for sharing Sheeps, was good of you to come back. Be interesting to see the footage when it airs i suppose the first three points you called out are where people will probably take issue.

Ive quoted the above because as you say it is unfair that all staff be tarred with the same brush but then again that is the nature of trading under a big brand. Once the name of a service supplier is tarnished it is very hard to regain your good name and standing, what will make the difference is the companies response and how they address it with the wider public.

They can pin it on one staff member but they also have to remember there should be checks and balances in place so this could not happen, they will need to be very proactive about their plans to ensure child welfare is at the forefront. If they take the attitude of it was only one bad apple i feel they might suffer really badly long term.

As for people going to court i could see why they would be annoyed considering how much this service is costing some folks on a monthly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SHOEHOLIC

is the footage as bad as the media are making it out to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the big show

There seems quite a high turnover of staff in my daughters creche yo those who worked in this industry what jourly rate do yhe creches involved pay

SHOEHOLIC wrote: »
    is the footage as bad as the media are making it out to be?

To be honest was expecting worse, insuring that some parents in our viewing were crying. It's an emotional topic so some people will find it really bad whilst others not so much.

The crèche said to us (before we saw it) that it was 'pretty bad'... Maybe that's why I thought it was going to be worse than it was.

If I'm honest the worst thing in the clip was the pressing of a a child's head down to try to get them to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The pressing a childs head down does seem like the worst one there alright. And completely bizaar behaviour as well. On what planet would do anything except upset a child? Someone who does that is clearly not cut out for childcare.

I wonder how tabloidy they will make this program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i have three nieces
    they are minded by a crèche run by their mother's aunt but still they have been told:
    if anyone shouts at you or acts weird in any way you are to tell your uncle Tig
    the sh1te they come back with is funny :D

but the point stands how are kids being shouted at without their parents getting told

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    The pressing a childs head down does seem like the worst one there alright. And completely bizaar behaviour as well. On what planet would do anything except upset a child? Someone who does that is clearly not cut out for childcare.

I wonder how tabloidy they will make this program.

Yep like forcing a kids head down will make them want to sleep, would have the opposite effect!

As I said earlier its not particularly balanced in its current state, clearly they are going for the shock approach. They must be loving all the press buildup, should ensure good ratings...

Forgot to mention in my summary post about shouting at kids, TBH don't feel the footage showed anything that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SHOEHOLIC

how do you mean its not balanced?

All it shows is bad stuff, for example the allergy list missing, whilst that is bad did any child receive something they shouldn't have (given these details are on their placemats).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

All it shows is bad stuff, for example the allergy list missing, whilst that is bad did any child receive something they shouldn't have (given these details are on their placemats).
    I'm not sure what you were expecting? Of course it's only going to highlight bad practices, rather than the standard everyone expects to be maintained.

I actually thought the placemat lists were to ensure the previously prepared food (referencing the allergy list in the kitchen), was then given to the right child in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

According to early chilhood ireland, the programme will not go out tonight as scheduled, it may be tomorrow instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sheep Shagger already said why it wasn't balanced. The very next sentence after he said "the story isn't balanced"!
    To be honest don't think the story is particularly balanced, for all the above except the last point it makes no mention that this unacceptable behaviour came from one staff member in one room. It also doesn't say how many days the footage was taken from over the six month period RTE were undercover for.

Doesn't seem that bad imho. Obviously not good, but surely in any normal situation the other carer would step in rather than get footage?
    How long was this one carer working in the creche before the RTE reporter joined?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Sheep Shagger already said why it wasn't balanced. The very next sentence after he said "the story isn't balanced"!

Doesn't seem that bad imho. Obviously not good, but surely in any normal situation the other carer would step in rather than get footage?
    How long was this one carer working in the creche before the RTE reporter joined?

Heard she was there 3.5 years.

When watching it it does seem strange that the main carer is having problems getting kids to sleep etc but she ( the RTE girl) doesn't step into assist.

There's no doubt there are issues that need addressing but don't really think its as bad as is being made out.

I'm sure if anyone had a undercover camera in their work for six months you'd get a few bad days footage, the difference is here I suppose, that kids are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Crumpet

We got another letter from Giraffe today informing us that CCTV would be installed in Belarmine asap and in other creches as soon as practical. That's one way of being proactive, although I was always against this idea, for many reasons (putting even more pressure on staff thus encouraging high turnover, Big Brother kind of work atmosphere, and also, in the case of parents being able to see footages live,i.e. from their workplace, - I know some creches do that - I think it's a bit awkward......).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭josip

My productivity will plummet. A choice of watching the creche channel or doing personnel performance reviews? Tough call.

Are there any boarders that already have access to these online webcams? Do you stop watching "Johnny-cam" after the novelty factor wears off? Do you ever feel guilty that you're watching them without them being aware of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

josip wrote: »
    My productivity will plummet. A choice of watching the creche channel or doing personnel performance reviews? Tough call.

Are there any boarders that already have access to these online webcams? Do you stop watching "Johnny-cam" after the novelty factor wears off? Do you ever feel guilty that you're watching them without them being aware of it?

I'd imagine the CCTV might take some pressure off too.

We've had some days where our child had a lump on their head or a bad bruise due to a fall.
    A replay of the CCTV would allay any fears of anything sinister.

Advertisement