Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primetime 27-5-13 creche expose [read mod notes in post #4 and #434]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Crumpet wrote: »
    We got another letter from Giraffe today informing us that CCTV would be installed in Belarmine asap and in other creches as soon as practical. That's one way of being proactive, although I was always against this idea, for many reasons (putting even more pressure on staff thus encouraging high turnover, Big Brother kind of work atmosphere, and also, in the case of parents being able to see footages live,i.e. from their workplace, - I know some creches do that - I think it's a bit awkward......).

see i don't see that as the solution, its like a band aid fix on a problem thats needs stitches...at some time in your life you have to trust other people, cctv encourages mis-trust. There has to be another way or means to encourage/develop the trust parents place in the people looking after their children.

what are parents going to do when their children start in Junior infants? ask the schools to install it too?

whats the difference between a 4 year old in primary school and a 4 year old in preschool besides the ratios being different?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I noticed the TV guide tonight says that a repeat of "The Secret Millionaire" is on at 9.35pm.

Is this correct? Have they pulled tonight's episode of Prime Time?

highly1111 wrote: »
    I noticed the TV guide tonight says that a repeat of "The Secret Millionaire" is on at 9.35pm.

it says prime time 10.35pm on the sky planner...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

highly1111 wrote: »

Tv listings saying prime time on at 10.30pm ...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

Prime time is billed for 10.35 but its not "Prime time investigates" so I am assuming its not the creche expose?
    I would imagine RTE would be making people very aware of when it is going to be aired, to ensure they get the viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 summer00

My child is in a creche that has the web cameras already and I find them quite reassuring.
    I dont fly guilty at all as its one of their selling points and everyone is aware the cameras are there.

In the beginning I did spend a lot of time watching (especially when he was a baby) but the novelty does wear off after a while and mainly just check on him a few times a day now.
    You do see the good and the bad (as in your child pushing etc) but I still would prefer to have them than not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

So is it on tonight or what..?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Pat and Miriam's summary after the news made no mention of crèches. Some dull farmer issue and something else equally dull and forgettable. Looks like its stll with the lawyers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emmyt

Suppose to be showing tomorrow evening, according to childcare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gabrielIT

Hi Bumper
    vetting is not the only issue here. it appears that faulty recruitment processes, poor staff retention efforts, salary levels and most of all the main focus on profit seem to blame for an explosive cocktail.

If someone screams at my baby on the street there will be most likely some consequence, I do not see how if this happens in a creche it could be tolerated.

We used to be convinced that creches were to be thanked for the mere fact of taking our children in their premises for " only 1100 euros".
    the complete lack of government strategy in the sector left this fundamental pillar of a modern society in the hands of private businesses and this is the result. I might be wrong but i believe the issues are far greater and numerous than the ones under the public domain and are certainly not confined to one child care centre that would be wrong to make as a scapegoat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

hoodwinked wrote: »
    see i don't see that as the solution, its like a band aid fix on a problem thats needs stitches...at some time in your life you have to trust other people, cctv encourages mis-trust. There has to be another way or means to encourage/develop the trust parents place in the people looking after their children.

what are parents going to do when their children start in Junior infants? ask the schools to install it too?

whats the difference between a 4 year old in primary school and a 4 year old in preschool besides the ratios being different?

When school starts I'd be more confident that my children could tell me if their teacher is abusing them.

In creche not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My children are grown up so its a long time ago that they need child care, however someone I know was looking at crèches and they have checked every things very carefully, something that put them off was discovering a place that expected the child care staff to do cleaning jobs in the place, while other crèches had cleaning staff they felt that sort of thing was an indication that the place was more about making money that looking after children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Whatever about what the footage and programme ultimately show, I hope the debate is better informed than some I heard over the weekend. On the saturday lunch time show on RTE, neither the childcare industry rep or the Government rep (a Junior Minister) seemed to have a clue about the training and standards for workers - they both bemoaned the lack of national standards and the lack of state supported funding. There are national standards (QQI, formerly FETAC), and the state provides training through the VEC's and FAS.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Looks like the footage is on tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Early Childhood Ireland
    We have just received confirmation that the Primetime Investigates programme will be broadcast this evening on RTE at 9.35pm, followed by a panel discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭josip

How can you tell from the RTE website that tonight's Prime Time will be about creches? "Revenge", "The Mentalist" and others all have specific text saying what will be on tonight. The "Prime Time" entry just has generic blurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Does prime time be put on rte player?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

PT have tweet to say it won't be on the RTE Player, there is also a studio and panel discussion after the programme tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

On now.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i am actually really shocked at this. I dont have any children but i am finding this really upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

ene wrote: »
    i am actually really shocked at this. I dont have any children but i am finding this really upsetting

Me too, quite damming on giraffe.

No excuses really, and parents pay the a grand a month for that..... The reports of widespread problems in dublin branches is quite condemning.

Don't know how giraffe could explain all that, obviously not isolated problems. Feel very bad for any parents watching that with kids currently in giraffe

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Disgusting how anyone could justify leaving their children in these creches after seeing this footage is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The other day I stated I was sickened by seeing children tied up for long periods of time and people said I was wrong, having seen the footage here tonight of children being put in highchairs for extended periods of time, I have never been so sad to see myself being right :(

I am actually terrified as to how many regulations I am convinced my son's pre-school seems to be in breech of!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

A couple of people on here have said their children are in these places and they have seen the footage and its not that bad or its not balanced. Having watched only the first half at this stage i am horrified and quite upset so i can't understand how these parents are not livid! I would be fit to be tied never mind getting annoyed at rte how can they think this isn't that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Thats exactly it !!The mind boggles tbh.I mean just because your child was lucky enough not to have been one of the little ones in any of the footage doesnt mean that they are not affected !I mean the other little kids were sat around watching these things happen i mean come on !I would have been in there and removed my child like a shot -im sorry but no job or career is worth putting my child at risk !

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭airsoftdes

that actually is disgusting behaviour :mad:

im not only shocked but more annoyed at RTE, they should have got those children out of her care asap, :mad:

if my child was in there i'd be pulling her out,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Getting anoyed about rte!!!??? Not balanced??? This is SICK !!! its abuse all over!! I'm sorry but if it was my child there would be a murder and solicitor on the way!!

Advertisement