Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting in Dublin - places to avoid?

Options
  • 22-05-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I'm looking for a place to move into Dublin(I've been living in Bray pretty much my whole time here). I know most of Dublin fairly well, but I don't know what it's like to live in most of the places in Dublin, if that makes sense. So, what places should I avoid? Most of the places I've been looking at (trying to keep the price range in the €400-500 monthly range) seem okay, but I don't know if they're right in the middle of dodgy areas.

So. What are the areas you wouldn't want to live in? Most of the places I've seen are on the Northside, on north circular road and the like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

well are you working or in college? where do you have to be in the mornings?

Dublin is a big enoough place and without knowing your needs its hard to advise.

me personally, I'd avoid anywhere that began with st.xxxxx these tend to be council areas and then I'd also recomend places that you hear on the news and radio alot like Finglas, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LiamHallahan

Jobbing actor, actually! So basically I'd be going all over town for auditions, rehearsals, etc. anyway. I'm not particularly picky about where I live as long as it's central!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Jobbing actor, actually! So basically I'd be going all over town for auditions, rehearsals, etc. anyway. I'm not particularly picky about where I live as long as it's central!

Rathmines/Ranelagh - Southside
    Drumcondra - Northside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Zamboni wrote: »
    Rathmines/Ranelagh - Southside
    Drumcondra - Northside

The o/p is looking for places to avoid. I wouldn't avoid those areas, they are quite good.
    I would avoid East Wall, Dolphins Barn. Stoneybatter, Rialto and Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why stoneybatter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

gmisk wrote: »
    Why stoneybatter?

Stoneybatter would be this guy's Mecca. It's full of arty type people - someone once referred to it as the Hipster Ghetto.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Why stoneybatter?

bit of a dive tbh

While I disagree with you on Stoneybatter I'm clueless about Eastwall - could you or someone else please elaborate? TIA

I wouldnt go near east wall....in a million years.....same for north strand
    Stoneybatter would be perfect I would suggest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Actually OP Stoneybatter might be ideal for you. 20-30 minutes walk to both town and Heuston Station, and the 39A will bring you to RTE if you get the call from Montrose.

It's a relatively quiet area (there are still some working ladies around Arbour Hill and closer to the North Circular Road there can be a few unsavouries).

Plenty of local shops and rental properties - most of the people around are either elderly homeowners or young professionals (a lot of legal professionals as you'd expect given the location).

• Advertisement

I wouldnt go near east wall....in a million years.....same for north strand
    Stoneybatter would be perfect I would suggest as well.

LOL two places I'm looking!

Whats the issue with the place? Any worse than Pimlico?

Tbh just read any of the threads on east wall or north strand on boards.ie.
    I know people who have lived in both areas and couldnt wait to get out of them (two of which were mugged).

I dont know about Pimlico...I do have a friend who lives just off thomas street....he doesnt love the area much preferred living in smithfield/stoneybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I suggest that you should avoid places based on their noise levels as well as their criminal record. So here they are: Inchicore, Thomas Street area (it's going to be hard to get decent rest there), Finglas, Clondalkin, Ballymun, Sheriff Street , Portland Row, Ballybough, Coolock, Irishtown, Dolphin's Barn and Rialto.

Advertisement