Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Glasnevin

• 22-05-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I've been looking at houses in North Glasnevin. I'm not from the area and would love any positive or negative feedback anyone can give. The locations I am looking at is the St.Pappins/ Wadelai area and Johnstown park (which may be Finglas East). All advice welcome. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I lived near St Pappins and thought it was a lovely area. Very mature community, a lot of elderly people. A nice pub in the Autobahn, decent shops, post office, and only a stone's throw from Omni and town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It's depends as Glasnevin north is probably bigger than actual Glasnevin. St pappins road is a good area but it tends to have few families. But when I moved to my area there was few also. But now a lot of them have "moved on" and the area has a lot of young families. However anything beyond Glasnevin ave I would avoid as its more Finglas and ballymun renamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evorg

thanks for the replies so far. I'm really concentrating on that area between Glasnevin Rd and Griffith Ave. I'll interested from a security point of view, but also in the future if I do decide to have a family but it still be a suitable area to bring up kids. I've walked around the Wadelai/ St. Pappins Rd a few times and it seems very nice. Mainly older people and some families. The houses seem to be kept well and there isn't any dodgy folks hanging around (I probably need to drive around a bit later in the night to really see if this is true). It's a big decision and I have always lived in the South Side so I'm not too familiar with these areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

hfallada wrote: »
    It's depends as Glasnevin north is probably bigger than actual Glasnevin. St pappins road is a good area but it tends to have few families. But when I moved to my area there was few also. But now a lot of them have "moved on" and the area has a lot of young families. However anything beyond Glasnevin ave I would avoid as its more Finglas and ballymun renamed.

You would avoid areas like Pinewood, Cedarwood, Willow Park, Grove Park and Sycamore as its "more Finglas and Ballymun"?

That area was rezoned when Finglas and Ballymun were small villages without social problems.
    Any reference to these areas as places to avoid because they were named something previously is ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bono grew up in Number 10 Cedarwood Rd, and he turned out all right ! :D

( Well except for those annoying as fcuk blue shades anyway ! :rolleyes: )

Willow Park, Sycamore Rd, Cedarwood etc etc are all perfectly fine areas to live. I'd be more partial to the Glasnevin Ave/Ballymun Rd part of the area, as you have more bus routes, more shops & pubs, Albert Park & the Botanic Gardens are nearby & you are closer to the wider variety of amenities in Santry, DCU etc etc, but the area itself to live in, is grand.

• Advertisement

thanks guys. I haven't looked at the area north of Glasnevin avenue at all, but I might check it out. I think for the time being I might concentrate on the area around St.Pappins/ Wadelai. I viewing the house in Johnstown park, but I've heard that the park itself can be a little rough so I'm not sure if I'd like a house which backs onto it.

actually - just found this place in Cederwood. I hadn't considered it, but it looks okay and if it's good enough for Bono....!

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=716613

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I knew Glasnevin was steadily taking most of the Finglas East but I amazed to see the top of Jamestown Road being called Glasnevin !

Thats a nice area evorg. Close to bus routes on Jamestown Road/Finglas Village.
    Superquinn in Finglas Village, Dunnes in Charlestown, or Tesco Clearwater is only a short drive or a bit of walk away.

evorg wrote: »
    actually - just found this place in Cederwood. I hadn't considered it, but it looks okay and if it's good enough for Bono....!

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=716613

Lovely quiet little cul de sac. Nice folks. Very settled and safe.
    Good space and garage. Bit of a do-er upper.

3 Johnstown Park would be absolutely grand if that is the one you spoke of earlier.
    Another lovely little cul de sac. There used to be a lane with access to the park but I believe that is long gone.

To be fair if you're budgeting around €250,000 there are lots of grand family houses for sale there from Cremore Heights to Pinewood Avenue.

thanks again folks. I saw the houses in Cremore Heights and wasn't made about then. I just think they are a little squashed and in a funny location - very close to the main rd etc.

I'll keep an open mind about Johnstown Park now. 250k would be my absolute max. Ideally i would be looking for something cheaper so I can have a little bit of money left over to actually to any renovations/ cleaning up needed.

There does seem to be a lot of great amenities around the area and it's so close to town too.

• Advertisement

evorg wrote: »
    thanks again folks. I saw the houses in Cremore Heights and wasn't made about then. I just think they are a little squashed and in a funny location - very close to the main rd etc.

I'll keep an open mind about Johnstown Park now. 250k would be my absolute max. Ideally i would be looking for something cheaper so I can have a little bit of money left over to actually to any renovations/ cleaning up needed.

There does seem to be a lot of great amenities around the area and it's so close to town too.

I know what you mean about space.
    Just bear in mind that in the housing stock in that area you will be trading off between space in older stock and BER in newer stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rosia

Hi, Posting this is here as it's about a similar area.
    I’m looking at buying a place in North Glasnevin, right beside East Finglas. I would be very grateful for any opinions on the area and what it’s like as a place to live.  It has the benefit of being close enough to the city, good transport links and a decent house for the price but I’m unsure about the area. I have lived in the city centre for the past few years and I would like somewhere relatively quiet which would be safe for kids.
    Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rosia wrote: »
    Hi, Posting this is here as it's about a similar area.
    I’m looking at buying a place in North Glasnevin, right beside East Finglas. I would be very grateful for any opinions on the area and what it’s like as a place to live.  It has the benefit of being close enough to the city, good transport links and a decent house for the price but I’m unsure about the area. I have lived in the city centre for the past few years and I would like somewhere relatively quiet which would be safe for kids.
    Thanks in advance!

Where are you looking at?
    Finglas East is a good area in general, especially as you edge towards the Hillcrest, Willow Park (Although originally advertised as Poppintree), Pappins areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rosia

Looking a bit further west than that - the Finglas end of Glasnevin Avenue and Beneavin Road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rosia wrote: »
    Looking a bit further west than that - the Finglas end of Glasnevin Avenue and Beneavin Road.

Beneavin Road seems ok. Busy with school traffic in the mornings and its on a bus route.

Advertisement