Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rás in Carlow Fri/Sat

Options
  • 22-05-2013 9:15pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An Post Rás, Ireland's International Bike Race visits Carlow. To commemorate the fortieth anniversary of Mike O'Donaghue, Carlow winning the Rás Tailteann in 1973 the 2013 An Post Rás will have a stage finish into Carlow town on the afternoon of Friday May 24th. The riders will be expected in Carlow from approximately 2.15pm. The finish line will be on Barrack Street (Carpenters Pub). Come and support this international sporting event.

On Friday May 24th over 170 riders will cycle just over 154kms from Mitchelstown, Co Cork to the finish line on Barrack Street in Carlow Town. This will be the second longest stage of the 2013 An Post Rás with the cyclists passing through counties Cork, Tipperary, Kilkenny and Laois. The cyclists will descend from Killeshin and join the northern relief road at the Castlecomer Road Roundabout then onto Dr.
    Cullen Park Road, turn right onto Green Lane and then onto the finish line on Barrack Street. The lead riders that afternoon will be reaching speeds of near 50kms per hour on the final sprint. The riders will be expected in Carlow from approximately 2.15pm. Traffic restrictions will be in place along the route and these will be coordinated by the Gardai, Ras Marshalls, Civil Defence & Local Authority Staff.

On Saturday May 25th at 10.30am after a parade from the Greenbank car park, around by Court Place and down Dublin Street the cyclists will depart from the Post Office on Burin Street passing along Kennedy Avenue, Barrack Street, Staplestown Road and onto the Tullow Road. The peleton will travel across the county and into Tullow and will head towards Shillelagh.

Carlow County Museum announces a new exhibition 'Mike the Man of the Rás '73'. This is a special temporary exhibition to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of Carlow man Mike O'Donaghue winning the Rás Tailteann in 1973. The exhibition will be launched during the An Post Rás visit to the town on Friday May 24th and will run until the end of October. Free Admission to the Museum.

Events Summary: See the 'Men of the Ras'
    Friday 24th May:
    Be on Barrack Street from 2.00pm (finished by 4.00pm) for the stage finish

Saturday 25th May:
    Be at the Post Office, Burin Street from 10.15am for the stage start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Aha, that explains why the council removed that awful pimple of a roundabout at the entrance to the Fairgreen SC and resurfaced the entire length of the street with nice smooth blacktop and fresh white lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What traffic measures are in place for tomorrow and Saturday? how are the buses going to get in and out of the bus park?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What traffic measures are in place for tomorrow and Saturday? how are the buses going to get in and out of the bus park?

I imagine they'll be have to go in the direction of the inner relief road on Friday, probably past Éire Óg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I imagine they'll be have to go in the direction of the inner relief road, probably past Éire Óg.
    I wonder would they stop at the Éire Óg club:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Aha, that explains why the council removed that awful pimple of a roundabout at the entrance to the Fairgreen SC and resurfaced the entire length of the street with nice smooth blacktop and fresh white lines.

Removing the principle of the roundabout has just resulted in traffic being blocked every which way now, stupid decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

3 years ago
    30/09/2010 03:10

SV
    To go from my house to Tesco(I live a 5 minute walk) You go through 4 roundabouts.
    ha..it's unbelievable.

??????? Too many???? Not enough????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Good sleuthing skills there Carlow2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    3 years ago
    30/09/2010 03:10

SV
    To go from my house to Tesco(I live a 5 minute walk) You go through 4 roundabouts.
    ha..it's unbelievable.

??????? Too many???? Not enough????

Well that's only a tiny bit psycho.

Where did I say there was too many? I just said it's unbelievable.
    btw, that roundabout being there doesn't increase the amount I would go through to reach Tesco, not that it's relevant.

Point stands that removing the roundabout there is a stupid decision and has resulted in traffic build up from every direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This thread is not about the amount of roundabouts in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Absolutely......

Fantasic event in Carlow today, the whole set up looked amazing and those guys travel some speed. Well done to all the organisers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement