Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer job after Junior Cert?

Options
  • 22-05-2013 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Anyone planning to work a little after the Junior Cert? I know I said i'll be hibernating .. but I think a step further into "adulthood" would be earning some money for your self and not asking parents or whatnot :pac: and I think it'll look great on the CV for your first "work experince" placement in TY :p.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I want to get a summer job... whether I'll be able to get one or not though is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

I asked my year head about this the other day. She said we have to be over 16 to work. And only with limited amount of time eg only can work 6 hours a week. You need insurance if working outside of school, if working during a school year, the insurance is free. If doing it for working experience, you shouldnt get paid. After the intake of all that info, I changed my mind and now I want to volunteer to work in a library. Who cares if I don't get paid. It'll be good on my CV and that's what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Not quite true Pwee2029: You can work up to 7 hours a day from age 14 upwards, although it has to be 'light work'. Got this from Citizen's Info for ye:

Children aged 15 may do 8 hours a week light work in school term time. The maximum working week for children outside school term time is 35 hours or up to 40 hours if they are on approved work experience.

The maximum working week for children aged 16 and 17 is 40 hours with a maximum of 8 hours a day.
    employers cannot employ children under 16 in regular full-time jobs. They may employ children aged 14 and 15 years on light work as follows:
    •Children aged 14 or over may do light work during the school holidays where the hours do not exceed 7 in any day or 35 in any week.
    •Children over 15 but under 16 may do light work up to 8 hours a week during school term time.
    •Children under 16 may work up to 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week if they are on an approved work experience or educational programme where the work is not harmful to their health, safety or development. Approved work experience or educational programmes for people under 16 are work experience, training or educational programmes approved by the Minister for Education and Skills, the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation or by FÁS
    •Children under 16 must have at least 21 days off work during the summer holidays.
    •Children can be employed in film, cultural, advertising work or sport under licences issued by the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation
    More here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/young_people_at_work/hours_of_work_for_young_people.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

dee_mc wrote: »
    Not quite true Pwee2029: You can work up to 7 hours a day from age 14 upwards, although it has to be 'light work'. Got this from Citizen's Info for ye:

Children aged 15 may do 8 hours a week light work in school term time. The maximum working week for children outside school term time is 35 hours or up to 40 hours if they are on approved work experience.

The maximum working week for children aged 16 and 17 is 40 hours with a maximum of 8 hours a day.
    employers cannot employ children under 16 in regular full-time jobs. They may employ children aged 14 and 15 years on light work as follows:
    •Children aged 14 or over may do light work during the school holidays where the hours do not exceed 7 in any day or 35 in any week.
    •Children over 15 but under 16 may do light work up to 8 hours a week during school term time.
    •Children under 16 may work up to 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week if they are on an approved work experience or educational programme where the work is not harmful to their health, safety or development. Approved work experience or educational programmes for people under 16 are work experience, training or educational programmes approved by the Minister for Education and Skills, the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation or by FÁS
    •Children under 16 must have at least 21 days off work during the summer holidays.
    •Children can be employed in film, cultural, advertising work or sport under licences issued by the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation
    More here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/young_people_at_work/hours_of_work_for_young_people.html
    Great information! But what would be considered "lightwork"?

Great information! But what would be considered "lightwork"?
    I'd imagine it means working in a shop etc rather than anything very physical (or more dangerous) like maybe working on a building site?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it means working in a shop etc rather than anything very physical (or more dangerous) like maybe working on a building site?
    Aye, good point. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

I'm hoping to work at SmartSpot or somewhere, I will just lie about my age if I have to because I want to improve my co-operation skills.

Unless they're going to pay you cash (i.e. not going through the books, which is of course illegal :)) you'll have to tell them your age, as you have to give them your PPS number to get paid!
    I don't see why you would need to lie about your age TBH, just show your willingness to work and emphasise your suitability for the position etc. Also consider applying now, as lots of people will apply directly after the exams finish.
    Good luck!

Unless they're going to pay you cash (i.e. not going through the books, which is of course illegal :)) you'll have to tell them your age, as you have to give them your PPS number to get paid!
    I don't see why you would need to lie about your age TBH, just show your willingness to work and emphasise your suitability for the position etc. Also consider applying now, as lots of people will apply directly after the exams finish.
    Good luck!
    Any suggestions where we could work? I've e-mailed dozens of places and only got a reply or two saying that they won't offer work etc. Although, i've been working as an apprentice for two odd years, I want to earn money though xD.

Any suggestions where we could work? I've e-mailed dozens of places and only got a reply or two saying that they won't offer work etc. Although, i've been working as an apprentice for two odd years, I want to earn money though xD.

Don't laugh but babysitting on a regular basis can be a great job, flexible, well paid, and involves responsibility so looks good on CV. Handy number if you can't find anything else! Local hotels could be a good place to try, as they are often on the lookout for babysitters.
    On the same theme, doing odd jobs like bits of painting, cutting peoples lawns would be flexible, and you could work in your own neighbourhood.
    I worked as a housekeeper in a hotel when I was around your age, yes it's cleaning but sometimes good craic if you're working with a good team! Pay wouldn't be great but tips are usually split and the hours tend to be good, e.g. 8am to 4pm, so your evenings are your own.
    'Fun' places to try might be cinemas, dvd rental places etc, great perks!
    Local shops or cafes/restaurants would be an obvious choice, great for CV as they involve being responsible for money and interacting with customers, usually good for a bit of banter too :)
    If you live in a touristy area try interpretative centres, where you might get work as a guide or shop assistant.
    Don't know if any of this helps

• Advertisement

Don't laugh but babysitting on a regular basis can be a great job, flexible, well paid, and involves responsibility so looks good on CV. Handy number if you can't find anything else! Local hotels could be a good place to try, as they are often on the lookout for babysitters.
    On the same theme, doing odd jobs like bits of painting, cutting peoples lawns would be flexible, and you could work in your own neighbourhood.
    I worked as a housekeeper in a hotel when I was around your age, yes it's cleaning but sometimes good craic if you're working with a good team! Pay wouldn't be great but tips are usually split and the hours tend to be good, e.g. 8am to 4pm, so your evenings are your own.
    'Fun' places to try might be cinemas, dvd rental places etc, great perks!
    Local shops or cafes/restaurants would be an obvious choice, great for CV as they involve being responsible for money and interacting with customers, usually good for a bit of banter too :)
    If you live in a touristy area try interpretative centres, where you might get work as a guide or shop assistant.
    Don't know if any of this helps
    Interesting! Would you suggest making a Cv after you recieve JC results or before? I suppose employers want some sort of qualification or maybe a past work placement? :) You're giving loads of help.

Interesting! Would you suggest making a Cv after you recieve JC results or before? I suppose employers want some sort of qualification or maybe a past work placement? :) You're giving loads of help.

I'd do both: make up a simple CV with whatever previous work experience you might have, plus an 'Interests and Achievements' section to give potential employers an idea of how you'd fit in with their current staff etc. Even if it's only one page, giving your name, address, contact details and the above, it looks professional to hand the potential employer a CV as it shows attention to detail :)
    Then next year when you have your results, update the CV (hopefully with some work experience from this year to add too!)
    A cover letter is also a good idea, outlining why you think you would be suitable for the position and basically telling them why they should hire you rather than someone else!
    (Obviously don't say 'you should hire me, not Johnny down the road' but sell yourself, sound confident and show willing!)
    If a potential employer says they won't give you a job because you have no experience, calmly and politely explain that you are interested in getting the job and working hard in order to gain experience (please and thank you Sir/Madam!) This shows initiative and a bit of spark, which most (though not all!) will be impressed with :)

I'd do both: make up a simple CV with whatever previous work experience you might have, plus an 'Interests and Achievements' section to give potential employers an idea of how you'd fit in with their current staff etc. Even if it's only one page, giving your name, address, contact details and the above, it looks professional to hand the potential employer a CV as it shows attention to detail :)
    Then next year when you have your results, update the CV (hopefully with some work experience from this year to add too!)
    A cover letter is also a good idea, outlining why you think you would be suitable for the position and basically telling them why they should hire you rather than someone else!
    (Obviously don't say 'you should hire me, not Johnny down the road' but sell yourself, sound confident and show willing!)
    If a potential employer says they won't give you a job because you have no experience, calmly and politely explain that you are interested in getting the job and working hard in order to gain experience (please and thank you Sir/Madam!) This shows initiative and a bit of spark, which most (though not all!) will be impressed with :)
    I already have work experince xD. Thanks for the heads up on how to write one :rolleyes: I need to make my CV stand out ... which I think I know how i'll be able to do that. :pac:

I already have work experince xD. Thanks for the heads up on how to write one :rolleyes: I need to make my CV stand out ... which I think I know how i'll be able to do that. :pac:

Again with the obvious, but make sure your spelling and grammar are perfect, and go for a very clear but eye-catching format in order to stand out.
    I would avoid anything too colourful as it may come off as childish :eek:
    Also if you're going to write down a previous employer as a referee, make sure you mention it to them before sending out CVs (common courtesy, plus avoids any awkward 'Arnie who?!' scenarios!)

Again with the obvious, but make sure your spelling and grammar are perfect, and go for a very clear but eye-catching format in order to stand out.
    I would avoid anything too colourful as it may come off as childish :eek:
    Also if you're going to write down a previous employer as a referee, make sure you mention it to them before sending out CVs (common courtesy, plus avoids any awkward 'Arnie who?!' scenarios!)
    Well, in terms of work experince, I'm an apprentice, does that count? xD and I don't think I have a "direct employer". I will double check 10 times when I write my CV for errors.

Well, in terms of work experince, I'm an apprentice, does that count? xD and I don't think I have a "direct employer". I will double check 10 times when I write my CV for errors.

Your supervisor would probably be the most appropriate referee in that case.
    Yea an apprenticeship would count as work experience of course, I'd imagine it would put you well ahead of a candidate with no experience.
    Try to make your work as an apprentice relevant to whatever job you apply for, e.g. if both involve working as part of a team, or interacting with customers, etc etc.

Your supervisor would probably be the most appropriate referee in that case.
    Yea an apprenticeship would count as work experience of course, I'd imagine it would put you well ahead of a candidate with no experience.
    Try to make your work as an apprentice relevant to whatever job you apply for, e.g. if both involve working as part of a team, or interacting with customers, etc etc.
    My apprenticeship involves working with customers and encountering new people almost on a daily basis xD. I think many stores will look for that when employing people my age.

My apprenticeship involves working with customers and encountering new people almost on a daily basis xD. I think many stores will look for that when employing people my age.
    You're dead right, emphasise these qualities.
    You'll often be asked 'why do you want the job'; there are so many wrong answers to that question! Right answers would include a possible interest in the general area of work in the future, wanting to be more financially independent (shows maturity and commitment to work), and wanting to fill your time to avoid being bored (because you're, like, such a motivated person!). Obviously they won't think much of you if you say you only want the job for the money!

You're dead right, emphasise these qualities.
    You'll often be asked 'why do you want the job'; there are so many wrong answers to that question! Right answers would include a possible interest in the general area of work in the future, wanting to be more financially independent (shows maturity and commitment to work), and wanting to fill your time to avoid being bored (because you're, like, such a motivated person!). Obviously they won't think much of you if you say you only want the job for the money!
    I have no interest working in any shop :(. I just want the money (I sound so greedy) but i'd volunteer, work experince > money.:rolleyes:

I have no interest working in any shop :(. I just want the money (I sound so greedy) but i'd volunteer, work experince > money.:rolleyes:
    Ah yeah, just make sure there's an element of truth in whatever you say!
    Best of luck with the search :)

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, just make sure there's an element of truth in whatever you say!
    Best of luck with the search :)
    Thanks for the advice! Hopefully i'll be able to lay my claws on any job this summer!:rolleyes::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement