Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boojum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

We went there yesterday. Certainly plenty of food in the orders, I couldn't finish my burrito there was that much in it and I'm not afraid of my food. Will have to echo Squonks comment above, it was nice, but nothing overwhelmingly so. My Fiancee wasn't gone on the food. Though it's not in a part of town I frequent much, Ill probably drop in again and try something different. They were doing plenty of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

inisboffin wrote: »
    They're lovely in there and seem to remember a lot of orders (tons of repeat business).

One thing still to be ironed out though is the 'leeway' in what you can get in your food. One person was grand with me getting half beans half rice in my taco, another said he'd have to charge me for rice as it didn't come with it.

Think the younger staff are erring on the side of caution! I would think it wouldn't cost them any more to let people put whatever non meat stuff (except jalapenos, they are listed as extra) in the veggie ones.

I was actually shocked to see that jalapenos are charged extra. When bought in the quantities that restaurants buy them in, they are seriously cheap. And an integral part of Mexican food so charging extra for them is akin to charging an Irish person extra for putting milk in their tea.

They're free in La Salsa. They'll lash them into your burrito and give you a little side bowl of them too if you're a savage for them like myself.

Looooove jalapenoes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Maybe they're reading boards cos there's a makeshift handwritten sign on the inside on the door which lays out their operating hours.

Really enjoying this frankly massive chicken burrito bowl. Nom nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I told the staff about this tread..... Always good to get feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

If they are reading this, it might be worth making a Boards account. They wouldn't get a huge amount of use out of it but it's always good to hear from the horse's mouth if people are asking questions, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any official account must be verified by boards back office before it can be used. This is to make sure it's actually the real deal and not some troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Took the family back today. Got 2 orders of chicken soft tacos for the wife and kids and a beef burrito for me. The beef didn't have the strange nutmeg /cinnamon flavour that stood out in the pork. Tasted as good as what I remember in California. Also got the guacamole and chips and they did allow an extra of salsa on the side. The chips aren't super fresh but the guacamole and hot salsa are good. Lastly they had Mexican beers in stock now including negro modelo. Everyone was happy and full for less than 30 quid. Got the loyalty card and they gave me a few extra stamps. Will be getting that tshirt in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I went today got a chicken burrito. May be back for more but I thought the portion was going to be bigger from descriptions here. Found it nice but not filling. Anyway, probably will be back there for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Went in today for the first time in a while, hoped to have a beer but was put off by the price, €3.95 for a 300ml bottle seems a bit steep? You can get bottles of Corona, Santa Cruz etc for €1 a bottle in most supermarkets

Lovely burrito again though, definitely prefer the beef over chicken and tried a couple of the table sauces which were nice. The woman with an Australian(?) accent has a seriously good memory as well, haven't been in for 10 days or so and she still remembered me instantly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Too lazy to read back through posts.....

What street is this place on.......thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

If someone remembers could the please post a photo of the burrito next time they are in there
    Strange request i Know:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Harps wrote: »
    Went in today for the first time in a while, hoped to have a beer but was put off by the price, €3.95 for a 300ml bottle seems a bit steep? You can get bottles of Corona, Santa Cruz etc for €1 a bottle in most supermarkets

Lovely burrito again though, definitely prefer the beef over chicken and tried a couple of the table sauces which were nice. The woman with an Australian(?) accent has a seriously good memory as well, haven't been in for 10 days or so and she still remembered me instantly!

did you get her phone number?

Went in today for the first time in a while, hoped to have a beer but was put off by the price, €3.95 for a 300ml bottle seems a bit steep? You can get bottles of Corona, Santa Cruz etc for €1 a bottle in most supermarkets!

Most of the beers are 2.95 and while you can get them for a euro a bottle in some stores, a 6 pack of Corona is usually 9 euro in most places. I'd much prefer to pay 3 euro for a bottle of beer with my food than 4.50 for one in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Did anyone happen to notice if the margarita machine has arrived yet? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Doom wrote: »
    Too lazy to read back through posts.....

What street is this place on.......thanks
    Spanish Parade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

All looks a bit gimmicky to me. I find Tex Mex stuff is just one of those foods I can always make better myself so paying for it can often be a disappointment. Still prices aren't too bad so will probably check them out at some point. Do they really not do delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

If someone remembers could the please post a photo of the burrito next time they are in there
    Strange request i Know:D:D:D:D

Took this to send to a friend. Can't see the contents of the Burrito but you get the idea. Those are chilli nachos by the way.

20130607_155857_zps2a539604.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

NoPasaran wrote: »
    All looks a bit gimmicky to me. I find Tex Mex stuff is just one of those foods I can always make better myself so paying for it can often be a disappointment. Still prices aren't too bad so will probably check them out at some point. Do they really not do delivery?

They've only just opened. I imagine like the many other restaurants in Galway that don't deliver that they might make an arrangement with one of the delivery services like whatsfordinner.
    Things with multiple fresh ingredients are costlier to make IMO, unless you're cooking for a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Would think it would cost a lot more to make at home as a lot of their ingredients are specially imported. Their beer also seems to be imported from what I could see as opposed to the EU brewed Corona you get in the pubs/off-licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Sounds like you haven't tried one yet so do and then you'll have an informed opinion, either way. At less than €6.50 a burrito I very much doubt you can do better. Forget about delivery, they have a lovely location on spanish parade. Enjoy the walk.

• Advertisement

Specially importing goods does not make anything automatically taste nicer, although it can give the illusion if you're impressed by things like that. Always open to new recipes though, which ingredients are we talking about here?

Their main competitors are obviously La Salsa, who do delivery, so it's a strange oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Specially importing goods does not make anything automatically taste nicer, although it can give the illusion if you're impressed by things like that. Always open to new recipes though, which ingredients are we talking about here?

Their main competitors are obviously La Salsa, who do delivery, so it's a strange oversight.

They have 3 different types of freshly made salsa for example. If you were to just make the salsas at home you'd need a lot of ingredients in stock.
    Their guacamole is pretty good too.

It's very fresh and good, but to be honest, Mexican or Tex Mex food is better eaten right away because it gets soggy pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There is no comparison between the two other than they are both supposed to be TexMex, if La Salsa's selling point is there delivery then I wouldnt be quaking in my boots if i were Boojum. No coincidence that La Salsa have done two daily deal site deals since Boojum opened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

€2.95 for Corona, Sol and Santa Cruz, €3.95 for Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, Brooklyn Lager and a few others.

And you wouldn't find any of those beers for that price in any other restaurants or bars in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I find Tex Mex stuff is just one of those foods I can always make better myself so paying for it can often be a disappointment.

I can also make a lot of tasty mexican food at home (quesadilas, burritos, nachos, sizzling fajitas, tacos). Up until now there was no place better than my own kitchen. Boojum is as close to an authentic taqueria as you'll get in Ireland.
    Do they really not do delivery?

I wrote and asked this. They said they won't deliver because it's best fresh.

Pity, I could understand nachos and some of the items wouldn't travel. But I burrito would travel perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

newkie wrote: »
    Pity, I could understand nachos and some of the items wouldn't travel. But I burrito would travel perfectly.

I brought a burrito with me all wrapped up and by the time I got to the car in Mill St there was "juice" (sauce, etc) leaking out of the paper from the motion of me moving it while walking fast. Had to eat it quick, was starting to go pretty soggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Is this spot still cash only? I'm dying of a hangover and I think a burrito would solve my problems but I've no cash and not enough in the bank to withdraw from an ATM :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Is this spot still cash only? I'm dying of a hangover and I think a burrito would solve my problems but I've no cash and not enough in the bank to withdraw from an ATM :(

Ya, it was still cash only when I was there yesterday!

newkie wrote: »
    I wrote and asked this. They said they won't deliver because it's best fresh.
    You should have suggested they use an automated vehicle to transport it, works for everybody else ;)

Anyway I'll hopefully get a taste this week and will report back - although by the looks of it I'll start a meltdown here if it's anything but a glowing review!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

This place is savage. I've just had my third burrito since it opened up. Service, quality and price is still top notch.

Advertisement