Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

101 bus to Balbriggan

Options
  • 22-05-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Just wondering, was on way home from DCU to Balbriggan this evening, normally drive but had to get bus today. Does the bus eireann 101 stop at the main intersection in whitehall? Got the 33 in the end because i didn't want to be caught out. Maybe rush hour ones do? This was 9pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Yes it does, providing it's not full!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

yeah - its a pick up point only, not a drop off, so it will only stop if it has available seats. but at 9pm I would usually have seats, only at rush hour would you possibly have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mondobongo

Thinking of accepting DCU and have a place in Balbriggan. How reliable/expensive is transport? Am I better off getting the 101 over the 33? I'm assuming the train will be more expensive. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I had to use this service recently and was commuting from the airport to Balbriggan. I found it reliable. You can get a weekly ten journey ticket. Not sure of the price though. Check out buseireann.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Mondobongo wrote: »
    Thinking of accepting DCU and have a place in Balbriggan. How reliable/expensive is transport? Am I better off getting the 101 over the 33? I'm assuming the train will be more expensive. Any advice appreciated.

The 101 will be much faster than the 33 travelling from Balbriggan to Whitehall as it takes a much more direct route.
    Times are here:
    http://buseireann.ie/pdf/1379087450-101.pdf

Fares are:

Service 101
    Fare / Discounted Fare
    6.50 / 6.17 : Adult Single
    11.50 / 10.92 : Adult Return
    4.40 / 4.18 : Child Single
    7.20 / 6.84 : Child Return
    6.50 / 6.17 : Student Single
    9.30 / 8.83 : Student Return
    43.50 / 41.32 : Adult 10 Jny
    9.70 / 9.21 : Adult Day Return
    26.00 / 24.70 : Child 10 Jny
    6.40 / 6.08 : Child Day Return
    36.50 / 34.67 : Family Return
    39.00 / 37.05 : Student 10 Jny

The discounted fare applies to tickets purchased online.

The 33 which will take longer and is much less frequent will however be cheaper. The Student 5 day rambler ticket is €20, and the 30-day Student Rambler ticket is €100.

These two tickets are valid on non-consecutive days.

There is also the Student Monthly Short Hop ticket valid for a calendar month, which covers Dublin Bus and Irish Rail and that costs €119.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

The 33 is the route from hell. Its grand if you're from Lusk, but if you're from Balbriggan avoid it like the plague

kelbal wrote: »
    The 33 is the route from hell. Its grand if you're from Lusk, but if you're from Balbriggan avoid it like the plague

That's a bit OTT.

It obviously takes longer as it follows the coast to Rush, and certainly should be avoided of time is an issue, but the flip side is a very pleasant trip with great coastal views.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I enjoy meandering trips along the coast as much as anyone - but on my daily commute I want to get in/out as quick as possible

kelbal wrote: »
    I enjoy meandering trips along the coast as much as anyone - but on my daily commute I want to get in/out as quick as possible

Which is why I clearly made the comment that it does take considerably longer in my original post.

However, if cost is an issue it is an option as it is substantially cheaper, provided you're prepared to put up with the additional time it takes.

From my own observations, a surprising number of people are quite prepared to put up with the additional time that it takes. The 09:30 departure from Balbriggan, for example, generally has quite a strong load before it gets to Skerries and most of the passengers seem in general to stay on until at least Swords.

I'm merely suggesting that calling it "the route from hell" is probably going a little too far.

Advertisement