Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting maximum speed?

Options
  • 22-05-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We've had broadband on a home user package since it first appeared from Eircom, and received the free upgrade to the 7.6mbit a few years back, which we were always able to achieve on the line.

I don't pay the Eircom bill here, but the latest one states that we're now actually on a business package that should be capable of up to 12mbit.

Our downstream line attenuation is 15.5 dB which I believe is good?

I realise that quality of phonelines and distance to the exchange can of course affect the sync speed, but we constantly get sync at 7.6, which is such a specific number (the max speed of the previous package) - the upload speed is .67 which I think is the max from the old package also.

I was just wondering would it be worth looking into to see if there's something on Eircom's side from blocking us getting the full 12mbit speed?

I can PM my account number if you think it's worth my while.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi,

We've had broadband on a home user package since it first appeared from Eircom, and received the free upgrade to the 7.6mbit a few years back, which we were always able to achieve on the line.

I don't pay the Eircom bill here, but the latest one states that we're now actually on a business package that should be capable of up to 12mbit.

Our downstream line attenuation is 15.5 dB which I believe is good?

I realise that quality of phonelines and distance to the exchange can of course affect the sync speed, but we constantly get sync at 7.6, which is such a specific number (the max speed of the previous package) - the upload speed is .67 which I think is the max from the old package also.

I was just wondering would it be worth looking into to see if there's something on Eircom's side from blocking us getting the full 12mbit speed?

I can PM my account number if you think it's worth my while.

Thanks!
    what is the download noise margin like? also are you using filters? if you have noise on your line the speed will be lowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Could well be noise..

the second column is the downstream, the third the upstream

SNR Margin          15.5 dB  - 1.7 dB 
    Line Attenuation  15.5 dB  - 3.5 dB

we have one single filter built into our master socket that all the phones run from, and the ADSL modem plugs into the computer (non filtered) port on the master socket. Eircom installed this for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi SirLemonhead,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

Can you please DM me your details and I will have a look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi,

I have sent you a DM there.

Thanks

Tracey

Advertisement