Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

433Mhz UHF rc model control

Options
  • 22-05-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I'm trying to get info on using a 433Mhz UHF control system for long range remote control of model planes. Do I need a ham license to use this band?

Any advice or views would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you use retail CE approved modules no licence is required. But they are low power and classified as Short Range Devices. Though outdoors you might get a little more than 100m

Higher power or home made devices need a Licence, but an Amateur licence might not cover Remote Control of a model plane.

There are also allocations at 27MHz, 49MHz, 864MHz, 2.4GHz etc for CE approved devices (SRD applications including Remote Control).

See www.comreg.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17 99c7076

Thanks, I have contacted Comreg and will post any update.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually contacting them rather than using documents on the website can be frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I believe this is what you need - http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/wireless_test_and_trail_licensing.541.545.html but it's a bit dear and time limited.
    do keep us updated, I might be heading in this direction sooner or later

don't use frequencies that are used for communications, this will just cause interference to everyone around you and it might backfire if your plane is not filtering signals properly.

Advertisement