Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

passport red tape

• 22-05-2013 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Why is there so much red tape now for first time passport applicents ? Is it an Irish or eu thing ? You now need utility bills as proof of address to get a first passport, Is a homeless Irish person now not entitled to a passport? You also now need another photo Id to get a first passport, a lot of people dont have such a thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Isn't passport issue one of these Republican prerogatives like treasure trove?

I'm not sure making passport issue a breeze is a good thing security or immigration wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I believe that the passport office accept Certification of Identity ML10 Form for someone with no acceptable ID. It still has to be signed by a Garda. You can download one from the rabo direct site here: http://www.rabodirect.ie/binaries/identity_tcm97-154040.pdf

She could go to the Garda station with your father & bring along whatever ID they have - your father's passport & drivers licence, utility bills, marriage cert, bank statements, social services card, bus pass etc & ask a Garda to sign the form. If they give the excuse of not knowing them they could ask to speak to the community liaison officer & invite them to visit them at their home when they're in the vicinity. This will 'make them known' & they should be able to get the form signed.

Some people have to go to the bother of going onto a political party's website & contact a TD with a trivial online enquiry in order to get a reply addressed to them on official headed notepaper, or go onto the revenue or welfare website & request a form or statement of earnings/payments to be posted out to them.

It's an awful lot of hassle, but sometimes it's best just to do what you have to do, especially if she really needs a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Anto Bean

I believe that the passport office accept Certification of Identity ML10 Form for someone with no acceptable ID. It still has to be signed by a Garda. You can download one from the rabo direct site here: http://www.rabodirect.ie/binaries/identity_tcm97-154040.pdf

She could go to the Garda station with your father & bring along whatever ID they have - your father's passport & drivers licence, utility bills, marriage cert, bank statements, social services card, bus pass etc & ask a Garda to sign the form. If they give the excuse of not knowing them they could ask to speak to the community liaison officer & invite them to visit them at their home when they're in the vicinity. This will 'make them known' & they should be able to get the form signed.

Some people have to go to the bother of going onto a political party's website & contact a TD with a trivial online enquiry in order to get a reply addressed to them on official headed notepaper, or go onto the revenue or welfare website & request a form or statement of earnings/payments to be posted out to them.

It's an awful lot of hassle, but sometimes it's best just to do what you have to do, especially if she really needs a passport.

That's what I find crazy ! A ml10 form is filled out at the garda station the same way as a passport form which one would just have done anyway. and again I want to see what law says an Irish citizen needs a fixed address in order to be entitled to a passport,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

As far as I'm aware, it's not about needing a fixed address to be entitled to a passport, it's about being able to verify that the person applying for the passport is in fact a real and genuine person. The best way to do this is with addressed correspondence and photo ID. If a person can't provide any proof of identity, a passport cannot br issued as that identity cannot be verified. What would stop a criminal saying he was homeless, making up an identity and getting a passport for that made-up identity? These checks are necessary but as posted previously, there are work arounds such as ML10 Form.

• Advertisement

Tiradon wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, it's not about needing a fixed address to be entitled to a passport, it's about being able to verify that the person applying for the passport is in fact a real and genuine person. The best way to do this is with addressed correspondence and photo ID. If a person can't provide any proof of identity, a passport cannot br issued as that identity cannot be verified. What would stop a criminal saying he was homeless, making up an identity and getting a passport for that made-up identity? These checks are necessary but as posted previously, there are work arounds such as ML10 Form.

But why would they take the gardas word for it on the ml10 but not take his/her word for it on the passport form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The passport office and application process can be a jobsworth's paradise and an applicants nightmare!
    The same as every other bureaucracy and government dept in this tinpot republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Organisations such as Focus Ireland, Simon Community, Threshold, Dublin Homeless Agency can help a homeless person overcome the need for a permanent address by providing a c/o address & help them to apply for a passport should they need one, though I'd hazard a guess that very few homeless people actually need a passport for travel purposes.

I'd also guess that given the nature of homelessness that the likelihood of a homeless person losing or having their passport stolen or damaged is pretty high, as well as the desire to have one being pretty low down on their list of priorities. Like many people with fixed abodes they mightn't be able to afford passport fees either.

But there is no law that states they cannot apply for & get a passport - they may just have to jump through a few extra hoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned the need to send them 4 identical photops, even thought they scan one of them and can copy it as much as they like.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned the need to send them 4 identical photops, even thought they scan one of them and can copy it as much as they like.....

It's the civil service, they still have paper filing otherwise having 2000 friends on your facebook profile would be sufficient to vouch for your identity...

Yes that's another new thing. It was only 2 photos last time I got a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Freddie Rincon

your passport is worth money on the black market. you are not automatically entitled to one ether. Lose a few of them and it possible they will not let you have one. It can be a lot stricter in other countries. It is a reasonably fast and clear process in Ireland given the dangers of identity fraud.

Advertisement