Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Robbie Keane retire from ROI squad?

• 22-05-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

After the FAI and Trappatoni held talks with LA Galaxy they have now agreed to release Robbie Keane for the upcoming friendlies.

If Trappatoni cannot see or will not see that Keane is no longer deserving of a place in the squad, should Robbie be honest enough to stand aside and give the likes of Doyle/Long/Walters a chance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think he should have retired from the team when he went to LA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

After the FAI and Trappatoni held talks with LA Galaxy they have now agreed to release Robbie Keane for the upcoming friendlies.

If Trappatoni cannot see or will not see that Keane is no longer deserving of a place in the squad, should Robbie be honest enough to stand aside and give the likes of Doyle/Long/Walters a chance?
    Keane has been by far our most consistent striker over the last 2 years. I can't see why Ireland should want rid of him just yet. That isn't to say he should necessarily be first name on teamsheet anymore, but he certainly still has a role to play, certainly ahead of Kevin Doyle anyway.

Haters gon hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

CSF wrote: »
    Keane has been by far our most consistent striker over the last 2 years. I can't see why Ireland should want rid of him just yet. That isn't to say he should necessarily be first name on teamsheet anymore, but he certainly still has a role to play, certainly ahead of Kevin Doyle anyway.

Haters gon hate.

Consistently awful you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

He should have retired years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Consistently awful you mean?
    Yeah that is what I meant, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Haters gon hate.

Exactly, not that I think he should be starting every game but some of the rubbish that has been on the field recently up front is still not at his level.

Paddy Madden should get a look in the next set of friendlies imo. Not playing at the top level but some of the goals he is scoring would be goals almost regardless of who he was playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Are the Irish team so desperate that they need Robbie Keane that plays in a mickey mouse league?

I watch the league and by in large its an awful standard tbh. I feel sorry for the likes of Henry he still is far to good for that league. The poor fella looks so frustrated. But I suppose that's what ya get for being money hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

His talent may be diminishing but his passion is not! There's no better player to have on the pitch than Robbie Keane. His talking, leading and ability to get a goal from nowhere warrants a place in the team alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Headshot wrote: »
    Are the Irish team so desperate that they need Robbie Keane that plays in a mickey mouse league?

I watch the league and by in large its an awful standard tbh. I feel sorry for the likes of Henry he still is far to good for that league. The poor fella looks so frustrated. But I suppose that's what ya get for being money hungry

The quality of the league isn't going to make Robbie forget how to score goals. The fact he is getting a run about every week is all he needs. He still has plenty to offer the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pro. F wrote: »
    The quality of the league isn't going to make Robbie forget how to score goals. The fact he is getting a run about every week is all he needs. He still has plenty to offer the Irish team.

It is really, when your up against defenders that wouldnt even get into a championship team. Im not saying Robbie is a bad player but he made his choice to go to poor standard of a league. Long and Walters deserve to be starting. They are in a competitive league and have done pretty well for their respected clubs this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

FFS they are only friendlies:(. Time to give the younger lads game time and not be harping on about a well-past-it striker who is only playing where he is, is for the spondoolicks. I would'nt have him on the team vs The Fairies:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

No he damn well shouldn't. He still wants to play, management still want him to play, so why would he retire based on the whims of a group of "supporters"?

Would you retire from your job based on the say so those furthest from your role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely still want him in the squad anyway. I don't want him starting any more tough matches, like against Germany or Sweden, because in those games you need a lot more form your centre forward so it's like playing half a man down.

I'd still have him starting some of the easier games where we can get more possession in the opposition half though, and would love to have him on the bench for 20 minutes if we're pushing for a goal against the better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Definitely should be in the squad. But definitely should not be guaranteed a starting spot, which seems to be a given under the current regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Never ceases to amaze me the flak this man gets. He could have very easily have given this game a miss but he actually wants to feature and play and add to his record number of goals. I think he's a class act; and in terms of ability, I still rank him above the other forwards. No other player in the squad has his imagination or craft. Would be bonkers to not want the options he gives the side, or the experience he offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Never ceases to amaze me the flak this man gets. He could have very easily have given this game a miss but he actually wants to feature and play and add to his record number of goals. I think he's a class act; and in terms of ability, I still rank him above the other forwards. No other player in the squad has his imagination or craft. Would be bonkers to not want the options he gives the side, or the experience he offers.

And that's the biggest problem - the rest of our strikers, bar Shane Long, are either below average or out of form. Keane is playing well in the US and the standard isn't as bad as people who don't watch the league regularly try to make out.

Keane has annoyed the shite out of me down through the years for various reasons but, much like David Beckham, he loves kicking a ball around, particularly for his country, so you have to respect that. His attitude more than anything is an example to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

No,he's still an invaluable asset to the squad whatever way you slice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Imagination and craft? Robbie Keane? Hmmm.

I'm not a naysayer when it comes to Keane and I think he should definitely be in the Ireland squad, but I wouldn't call him imaginative by any stretch.

I'd reserve those descriptions for the likes of RVP or someone.

He knows how to put the ball in the net and he's very good at holding up play. And he wants to play for his country. He's passionate about that. What's the problem?

We'll know a bit more in few months time in terms of how playing in LA is affecting his contribution to Irish competitive games.

He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Keane is playing well in the US and the standard isn't as bad as people who don't watch the league regularly try to make out..

An but it is really! I've watched enough of it in the last two years. It's like a slower version of League 1. It's most definitely not at the standard of The Championship. Keane playing in that environment, where he doesn't have to be at his sharpest and his brain can afford to be lazy, will do him little good. It certainly won't improve him as a player.

And I'll guarantee you, that if he does appear against England, he'll be up to his usual trick, coming deep, receiving the ball miles out from the goal or out in the wing. He'll roam everywhere except where he is supposed to - the box.

grenache wrote: »
    An but it is really! I've watched enough of it in the last two years. It's like a slower version of League 1. It's most definitely not at the standard of The Championship. Keane playing in that environment, where he doesn't have to be at his sharpest and his brain can afford to be lazy, will do him little good. It certainly won't improve him as a player.

And I'll guarantee you, that if he does appear against England, he'll be up to his usual trick, coming deep, receiving the ball miles out from the goal or out in the wing. He'll roam everywhere except where he is supposed to - the box.

As someone who watches at least one and usually two MLS games a week, I think you're giving League One far too much credit.

And what 34 year old is looking to improve as a player? They just need regular game time at a good competitive level. MLS is perfectly fine for that.

90 minutes MLS >>>>> 15 minute cameos in the Premier League, which are the two scenarios really for Keane, when you want to still be playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

grenache wrote: »

Who gives a **** what league in England it's comparable to. It's got many internationals in it and Keane looks to me more likely to get a goal than most of our options. He obviously loves playing for Ireland so why should he retire ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It is really, when your up against defenders that wouldnt even get into a championship team. Im not saying Robbie is a bad player but he made his choice to go to poor standard of a league. Long and Walters deserve to be starting. They are in a competitive league and have done pretty well for their respected clubs this season

Whatever you say about the quality of the MLS Robbie is still easily good enough to be worth his place in the Irish squad. He went and did a decent job at Villa after a season and a half in America don't forget. He's a seasoned pro who has had his craft perfected for years and is still only 32.

Having Keane in the squad is not a sign of desperation, he is easily in the top four strikers available to us and he has a skill set that sets him apart from all the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The MLS would definitly be a lower standard than the champonship. League 1 comparison is fair

Karma's a bitch alright :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Imagination and craft? Robbie Keane? Hmmm.

He's pretty clever and has a lot more game intelligence than people give him credit for. The runs he makes, positions he takes up, his use of the ball. He's the best striker we have at this. We don't have the midfield players capable of making the best of this though. If we're going to play hoof ball, Long, Walters and Doyle are the men for that. If we're gonna try mix it up and play a bit, Robbie is better than any of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

His legs are gone, get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Something told me that Robbie would not miss the first game against England in 18 years,and at Wembley.I give the man 10/10 for his desire to play for his country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Keane is definitely our second best option after Long despite plying his trade in the MLS so I'm glad to see he is continuing to make himself available, but I'd be raging if I was an LA Galaxy fan. They pay his wage, and yet he's travelling half way across the world to play a couple of friendlies. I'll admit to being a club over country man, but he should have made a commitment to his club that he'd be available during the season for all games if they don't clash with competitive Irish games IMO. Yes, they have allowed him to travel, but I don't think they should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hes better then doyle,sammon and cox, only long is better then him and even at that robbie has a much better scoring record. Im happy to see him still play, maybe when trap leaves robbie might call it a day then. What an international career so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's his boyhood dream to play for Ireland against England in Wembley.

Let the boy dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

wadacrack wrote: »
    The MLS would definitly be a lower standard than the champonship. League 1 comparison is fair
    Doubt it. If Thierry Henry had moved to a League 1 club in 2010 rather than New York he would have tore the leagues defences apart.

As it is he's averaged about a goal every two games in America. Landon Donovan the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No, he shouldnt. We have a poor pool of players as it is and his commitment to the Irish Setup is a shining example to the younger players involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He shouldn't retire.

We need as many of our best players available as possible.

Should he be in starting team?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Liam O wrote: »
    Paddy Madden should get a look in the next set of friendlies imo. Not playing at the top level but some of the goals he is scoring would be goals almost regardless of who he was playing.

No... Ask any Bohs fan about Paddy Madden. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Definitely still needs to be in the squad. He probably should not start though as he does not suit our current tactics, but he would be perfect to come off the bench after 60-70 minutes. He will always have an eye for a goal, he will never lose that regardless of his losing a bit of pace

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Madworld wrote: »
    No... Ask any Bohs fan about Paddy Madden. :(
    Madden gets a lot of undeserved criticism from Bohs fans. He scored some important goals for us, it's not his fault he was stuck up front on his own with Quigely on the wing and Byrne and Cretaro crocked. He missed some big chances at the end of the season, but there was far too much pressure on him for a young lad.

Re. Keane, he still has something to offer Ireland, should definitely still be in the squad.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Should definitely be kept until someone else in the squad can run around in circles with their hands in the air appealing every decision in an equally hilarious manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Never got the whole hate for Keane thing tbh, no one and I mean no one has been as committed for Ireland as Robbie over the years and he most certainly has something to offer - just look at the list of 'strikers' named in the latest squad.

Irish begrudgery is alive and well I guess.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Should definitely be kept until someone else in the squad can run around in circles with their hands in the air appealing every decision in an equally hilarious manner.

Although I am fully aware this is an 'attempt' at humour, just look at the list of strikers named in the latest squad, quite a few would struggle to run in a circle I imagine never mind score 54 goals for their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Although I am fully aware this is an 'attempt' at humour, just look at the list of strikers named in the latest squad, quite a few would struggle to run in a circle I imagine never mind score 54 goals for their country.

I am fully aware that's an 'attempt' at exaggeration but I'd imagine you're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Haters gon hate.
    sugarman wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks he should is clueless.

Hes a proven goal scorer, record goal scorer at that. You never lose that touch. He might have lost some pace, but never the ability to pop up and be in the right place at the right time and score.

Sure, he probably shouldnt be starting. But a player with his commitment as well as ability should be in the squad to help bring on younger lads, and like I said, come on when we need to pull a goal back.

An example I keep giving is Niall Quinn, who happened to be the lad that took Keane under his wing. He was 32 when himself and Keane formed the main strike partnership that got us into the 02 WC and ever so close to Euro 2000.

It was Quinn off the bench at the ripe aul age of 36 who flicked the ball on for Robbie against Germany in 02.

IMO, THATS what Keane should be doing. Or end up doing some.

Came in to post a big rant opposing the OP.

Delighted to see the majority of the posts were in the above vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Definitely still needs to be in the squad. He probably should not start though as he does not suit our current tactics, but he would be perfect to come off the bench after 60-70 minutes. He will always have an eye for a goal, he will never lose that regardless of his losing a bit of pace

But he does suit our current tactics. Up front with a big (bigger) man. The problem is that those tactics are out dated and don't work, especially given our long ball, non-pressing, unwillingness/fear to pass the ball....forward.

Not his fault. Would foolish to get rid of him from squad.

Madden gets a lot of undeserved criticism from Bohs fans. He scored some important goals for us, it's not his fault he was stuck up front on his own with Quigely on the wing and Byrne and Cretaro crocked. He missed some big chances at the end of the season, but there was far too much pressure on him for a young lad.

I'm not really criticising him as such. There's just no way he's good enough to play for Ireland.

Nothing personal against the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Robbie Keane should retire when he wants, it's up to the current manager to decide if he should be a first pick or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Madworld wrote: »
    I'm not really criticising him as such. There's just no way he's good enough to play for Ireland.

Nothing personal against the lad.
    So basically you are saying that all the other strikers bar Shane Long are not good enough either? I hope so because thats the truth of the matter.

And this stuff about the MLS is nonsense too. David Beckham represented England while playing there, Landon Donovan has always looked special when playing for the USA or when he came over to Everton for a couple of loan spells which reminds me of Robbie Keane's loan spell at Villa where he showed he was still at Premier League standard.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So basically you are saying that all the other strikers bar Shane Long are not good enough either? I hope so because thats the truth of the matter.

And this stuff about the MLS is nonsense too. David Beckham represented England while playing there, Landon Donovan has always looked special when playing for the USA or when he came over to Everton for a couple of loan spells which reminds me of Robbie Keane's loan spell at Villa where he showed he was still at Premier League standard.

:D:D

Probably the wrong thread but I was talking to another Bohs fan about Paddy Madden who was touted for the Ireland squad but who IMO is nowhere near the standard to play for Ireland.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah kinda went off on a tangent, my fault really!

Haven't really seen him play for Yeovil, but unless he's improved massively since his LOI days, he shouldn't be near the squad.

That said, if Connor Sammon can make it...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yeah kinda went off on a tangent, my fault really!

Haven't really seen him play for Yeovil, but unless he's improved massively since his LOI days, he shouldn't be near the squad.

That said, if Connor Sammon can make it...

He can't though and thats the whole point re. Robbie, the alternatives are not there.

Warming up nicely for Wembley with a first half hattrick tonight :pac:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Warming up nicely for Wembley with a first half hattrick tonight :pac:

Two of which were penalties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement