Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Robbie Keane retire from ROI squad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Jason Byrne is an inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Two of which were penalties.

Do they not count anymore? If we'd had more players that could take penalties like Robbie Keane in '02 we'd have been in pretty good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Shane Long is nowhere near a prolific striker at the top level. He's decent. Walters the same. People should remember that.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Shane Long is nowhere near a prolific striker at the top level. He's decent. Walters the same. People should remember that.

Yes, let us remember to always put down our existing and emerging players and bow at the alters of our elder retiring players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

He should stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Whatever your opinion of his future in the team (For instance I would not start him), he's damn well earned the right to retire when he thinks the time has come and not before or when anyone else says so.

Yes, let us remember to always put down our existing and emerging players and bow at the alters of our elder retiring players.

He's 26 years old, played four seasons in the Premiership and scored 21 goals in 113 games. Alright. He's played 36 times for Ireland and scored 8 goals. Decent.

Robbie Keane dwarfs Shane Long. Even now, there are more goals in his boots. And I like Long's attitude and workrate.

Keane has another couple of years left in him yet, that's all this comes down to, and we have no-one else on the scene who is going to come near touching the career he's enjoyed.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's 26 years old, played four seasons in the Premiership and scored 21 goals in 113 games. Alright. He's played 36 times for Ireland and scored 8 goals. Decent.

Robbie Keane dwarfs Shane Long. Even now, there are more goals in his boots. And I like Long's attitude and workrate.

Keane has another couple of years left in him yet, that's all this comes down to, and we have no-one else on the scene who is going to come near touching the career he's enjoyed.

Long has started 13 games for Ireland and he's 26.

Robbie Keane has been a passenger for the last 2 years if not longer. Time for someone else to have a chance.

As I said no problem with him as an impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hardly a passenger, scored 5 goals in the Euros qualifying, and another 2 against Estonia, had as many Ronaldo, more than RVP and Ibra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

With his craft, guile and scoring record he is worth a place in the squad. 15 mins to go coming off the bench he is a fantastic option to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I really don't get the Robbie hate. I mean it's not like he's walked out on his country at Major Championships, slagged off his fellow internationals or anything like that.

He still scores goals and surely he is a better option currently then League 1 and/or Championship level strikers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Should have retired after the Euros, rivalled by Given as our worst player. He'll pop up with the odd goal nowadays against The Faroes or Liechtenstein, but hes done.

I think he knows it too, and you can see his frustration when his body won't let him do what his mind wants, hence all the arm flapping at the ref for absolutely no reason whatsoever, put the blame on the ref rather than on himself.

Better to burn out brightly than fade away. Unfortunately going out brightly is not an option for Robbie anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This thread is about to reach meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Better to burn out brightly than fade away.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Much like Niall Quinns football career finished not in a club jersey, but in an Ireland jersey in South Korea, and 37 year old Tony Cascarino finished proudly the victor in a punch up at the end of a playoff in Bursa, I reckon Robbie will go out in a blaze of green glory somewhere in France in the summer of 2016.

Hopefully a last 16 or even last 8 game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd keep him in the squad, but I'd be prioritising Long ahead of him.

He has been a bit wasteful and squanderous the last few times I have seen him playing for us and has a tendency to drop deeper and deeper trying to get involved and dictate play, which to be honest he is no good at. I'd have him in the squad, but would be looking at other options at this stage. Granted we are a bit short for ANY talent up front, Long should be number one at this stage up front.

In relation to the Keane hate, which is a seperate entity entirely, I'm on the hate side. Granted more from personal experience of him and his wife's family, I still don't like him and never rated him. I think we can exaggerate a bit, I think that anyone with some level of competency in top flight football would have scored alot of goals for us. If you look over the last 10 years there hasn't been a striker that came anywhere near Keane. That is more a failing of us producing strikers, then some sort of sensational standard set by Keane. So that annoys me, where people point out his goalscoring record as some basis for him being a top player. I'm sorry, but considering the options available he was pretty much guaranteed a spot with no competition and would inevitably score plenty of goals.

His constant spell of moves and transfers and refusal to settle always leaves the question what if. I wouldn't have him anywhere near a top list of PL strikers. He had a good season or two at Tottenham ( for me in large part to Berbatov) and then flopped at Liverpool, flopped back at Spurs. So for me the hate(and this is probably a strong word, I just don't rate him or care either way) comes from what I feel is an inflation of his ability and talents, along with what I guess is some specific personal experiences of him and his wifes family that turned me right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

In the last 18 or so months he has scored once.

If he wants to be involved, great, but he should not be the seemingly automatic starter that he currently is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

lol quality, so essentially he only scored at Spurs because Berbatov was making him look good and he only scored for Ireland because there was no one else there, bit of a contradiction??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Should Robbie keane retire from ROI squad? No way, simple as that.

Thought he was again ineffectual tonight. Maybe it was jet lag but for me its just another in a long list of a similar performances.

We can't afford to carry passengers when we have players than can affect the game sitting on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thought he was again ineffectual tonight. Maybe it was jet lag but for me its just another on a long list of a similar performances.

We can't afford to carry passengers when we have players than can affect the game sitting on the bench.

True, the amount of travel he's had to do has impacted on his performance tonight and no we cant afford passengers. IMO, he should be tried as an impact sub. I think he's a real threat doing that.

Again, I'll advocate for Stokes. He has something nobody else in the Ireland setup can offer, nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Simple answer is Robbie shouldn't retire. But he shouldn't be an automatic starter. A player of his experience and poacher-style can do a good job for us from the bench, like Kevin Phillips at Crystal Palace. My problem is with Trap starting him, and overlooking better quality strikers (Stokes for example) opting instead for the likes of Cox and Sammon for subs.

Edited for clarity.

Simple answer is Robbie shouldn't retire. But he shouldn't be an automatic starter. A player of his experience and poacher-style can do a good job for us from the bench, like Kevin Phillips at Crystal Palace. My problem is with Trap starting him and overlooking better quality strikers for the likes of Cox and Sammon for subs.

Sorry Jonny, they aint quality alternatives. Wish they were...

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sorry Jonny, they aint quality alternatives. Wish they were...

I think you've missed my meaning. I meant that Sammon and Cox shouldn't even be subs, that there are better Irish strikers out there that should be in the squad before them, Keane most definitely included. Suggesting that Keane retire is basically saying that Sammon and Cox are better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Keane still has the ability and leadership to do a job for the team, very intelligent player, look at the role he played against the Swedes

I think you've missed my meaning. I meant that Sammon and Cox shouldn't even be subs, that there are better Irish strikers out there that should be in the squad before them, Keane most definitely included. Suggesting that Keane retire is basically saying that Sammon and Cox are better than him.

Keane retiring will be a sore day for Irish football, and its going to happen soon enough :(

Best ignoring the Keane criticisms, they arent even rational at times. :mad:

Dempsey wrote: »
    Keane retiring will be a sore day for Irish football, and its going to happen soon enough :(

Best ignoring the Keane criticisms, they arent even rational at times. :mad:

What will be really sad is that when he goes it will be the first time for a long time that we won't have a top quality player in the squad.

Going back through the years we had the likes of Stapleton, Brady, McGrath, Irwin, Roy Keane, Given, Duff, Robbie Keane, almost every generation had a player that other teams respected. When Robbie goes there's nobody to step up in his place. We have some good players but no stars, which is a real shame.

What will be really sad is that when he goes it will be the first time for a long time that we won't have a top quality player in the squad.

Going back through the years we had the likes of Stapleton, Brady, McGrath, Irwin, Roy Keane, Given, Duff, Robbie Keane, almost every generation had a player that other teams respected. When Robbie goes there's nobody to step up in his place. We have some good players but no stars, which is a real shame.

Thanks for the reminder! :pac:

Ya, we will lack a game changer. Something irish fans arent used to....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Bring back Gary Doherty - aka the Ginger Pele - and he can reunite with Robbie Keane to once again form the deadliest striking partnership in Europe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Pighead wrote: »
    Doubt it. If Thierry Henry had moved to a League 1 club in 2010 rather than New York he would have tore the leagues defences apart.

As it is he's averaged about a goal every two games in America. Landon Donovan the same.

They probably averaged a few hundred grand a week there as well.

• Advertisement

On the bright side, looking back over the players we've had, we should be due a class young goalie, centre back, midfielder and striker soon! :D

Wouldn't it be great if they all came along at the same time? Imagine a team of Given, Irwin, McGrath, Dunne, Finnan, Duff, Brady, Roy Keane, Giles, Stapleton and Robbie Keane. Subs: Niall Quinn, Houghton, Townsend, Aldridge, Staunton, Moran, Bonner to name but a few.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The way some of you talk about your leading scorer who still has a lot to offer your country is a little baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He shouldn't retire but I'm not sure if he should be starting for us anymore.He would be a very good impact sub and against some of the lesser team if we played 2 upfront.I just think we need to look at moving away from 442.

On a side note ,we have some very good youngsters ,that hopefully make the breakthrough with there clubs soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Why the F should he retire, he still the best we have to offer. If Sammon and Cox is what Trap thinks is our backup, I cant see any logic in Irish fans wanting Keane to retire.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Why the F should he retire, he still the best we have to offer. If Sammon and Cox is what Trap thinks is our backup, I cant see any logic in Irish fans wanting Keane to retire.

Trap should retire too. But Keane offers nothing. Sammon and Cox are awful, but Keane had 65 mins and they had 25 or less. Same contribution to the game: Zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He shouldnt retire but I rather not see him starting. Ireland really lacks quality strikers bar Long of course

Robbie is best of the bad bunch so im afraid he has to start

slightly disappointments me to see a striker in a mickey mouse league starting for us tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

No.

Who else is going to fall on their arse and wave their arms in the air for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

NO WAY.

Why the hell would we want Robbie to retire?

Name 4 better Irish strikers than him!

Shane Long? Anthony Stokes? Kevin Doyle?

Couldnt even begin to make an argument for anyone else?

Why the hate for Robbie? Ive never understood it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

NO WAY.

John Walters

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Walters should be starting upfront with Long, there is no two ways about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

NO WAY.

Stokes better than Keane? Doyle better than Keane? Nope. 2 poor strikers who will most likely be playing an equally poor level of football to Keane unless they get a transfer.

Read TheDoc's post on the previous page. Something to do with the fact he played for a few different clubs and his wife's family aren't very nice or something. It's all very :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Shouldn't retire but there is 0 reason for him to start a game with Shane Long and Jon Walters fit.

CSF wrote: »
    Stokes better than Keane? Doyle better than Keane? Nope. 2 poor strikers who will most likely be playing an equally poor level of football to Keane unless they get a transfer.

Doyle will get a transfer to at least the Championship, which is a higher level the the MLS, Stokes will be playing Champions League next year, something which no other irish player will be playing. Unless they get a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Doyle will get a transfer to at least the Championship, which is a higher level the the MLS, Stokes will be playing Champions League next year, something which no other irish player will be playing. Unless they get a transfer.

McGeady. Still has a chance of making it.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    McGeady. Still has a chance of making it.

No he doesn't. Russian League is over. Lawrence had a chance with PAOK, but they lost their playoff.

Edit: Just checked, McGeady will be playing in Europa Lge. Finished 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Keane was abymsal yesterday. There was one point where he was a good 6 metres offside, caught sitting on his backside. If he can't even keep off the shoulder of the last defender in a friendly he has no place in the Irish team, at least not an Irish team with any ambition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

CSF wrote: »

Stokes will be playing CL football next season if picked as another poster said. I'm a big fan of Robbie Keane and on this thread I said there was no obligation on him to retire from the international set up. It's up to the manager to decide who to pick, and it's just another sign that Trap is failing in many aspects of his job that he doesn't see that Robbie Keane shouldn't be a first pick anymore.

Doyle's form picked up towards the end of the season and he scored a few goals when Wolves needed them most but they went down anyway. He'll get a move to a Championship or maybe an EPL side. He's also been linked with Celtic. If he goes there your prejudice against Celtic will blind you to whatever he does anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't see Doyle getting an EPL move after the season him and Wolves just had.

I haven't even heard of Championship interest yet.

Stokes will probably play 6 Cl games at best next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

noodler wrote: »
    I can't see Doyle getting an EPL move after the season him and Wolves just had.

I haven't even heard of Championship interest yet.

Stokes will probably play 6 Cl games at best next season.

Doyle will get a move to an EPL or top Championship side, he has also been linked with Celtic.

As for Stokes 6 games in the CL is huge experience at that level if he was picked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement