Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Robbie Keane retire from ROI squad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wow two goals against a poor Georgia side. He must be brilliant :rolleyes:

And there it is. Well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

To be honest, over the past 10 years the Keane haters have always been there sniping away at him. You were always able to find people happy to label him as '****e', say they didn't like him waving his hands around, that he was way overrated, etc.

Since 2008 though, that argument mutated into saying he isn't good enough to be starting. Those people have been pounding that drum and will keep pounding it until it becomes true (which is only a year or two away probably but not quite yet) and then have the gall to go 'HUZZAH, SEE?'.

People are going to pretend this isn't true, but I can remember Ireland games during 2006 - 2008 (the best three year period of his career ability wise imo) where people would be complaining about him. Some people always loved to hate him, and his declining abilities are merely further grist to the mill.

I'd freely admit that I come from the other side of the coin - Robbie Keane is a personal hero of mine. Probably the most intelligent player I've seen in the flesh. If he'd had a yard more pace in his prime the sky would have been the limit imo. As it was, Ireland missed out on the three International Tournaments that would have defined his best years (06, 08 and 10); and Redknapp and Rafa just didn't like his freewheeling nature at club level for different reasons.

As it stands, he's demonstrating a willingness to move mountains to come and play in friendlies for us (significantly at odds with some of the less established players) and remains our best finisher. It's sad that he's been hated on to one degree or another throughout his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As long as the manager wants him part of the team and the squad - why should he retire? Long is the only striker close to him, retiring would only make us weaker so that people would stop bitching about him.

He wants to continuing playing, and the manager and coaching staff still see him as a better option than anyone else we have, there is no good reason to retire. He isn't holding anyone back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Think the tone of the thread is that Robbie has been a great player for Ireland but maybe he should not be 1st choice anymore.

Don't see much Keane hating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Think the tone of the thread is that Robbie has been a great player for Ireland but maybe he should not be 1st choice anymore.

This. It's like the Trap thing. People who are very pro-Trap think a lot of people are saying we should be beating top teams and easily qualifying for tournaments, which it's simply not the case for the majority. There's exaggeration on both sides of the coin, in both respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Corholio wrote: »
    This. It's like the Trap thing. People who are very pro-Trap think a lot of people are saying we should be beating top teams and easily qualifying for tournaments, which it's simply not the case for the majority. There's exaggeration on both sides of the coin, in both respects.

Well...lets not forget the OP in this - that is what everyone is responding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

But he has a working class accent and isn't from the right area, and this is why (subconsciously or otherwise) the knives, the begrudgery and the slagging come out.

Completely irrelevant to the question posed in the thread, majority of professional footballers come from working class backgrounds.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Very few have agreed that he should retire, the vast majority simply dont want him to be the first name on the team sheet anymore. Don't see how anyone are argue with that idea. He should be getting most of his games from the bench at this stage. Bring him on fresh at about 60 minutes against a tired defence and he'll be much more useful.

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

noodler wrote: »
    Well...lets not forget the OP in this - that is what everyone is responding to.

I don't agree with the op, but that view is certainly in the minority in much of the thread. There's a few posts deriding all the Keane 'haters' when there isn't a whole lot from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's because O'Driscoll is one of the best players in the world within his sport.
    Robbie isn't...

When O Driscoll does not play well though he still does not get slating in comparison to Keane.

Apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RTE News Now have a quote from Robbie saying he has 5 or 6 years left in his legs.

Is it April 1st ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

NIMAN wrote: »
    RTE News Now have a quote from Robbie saying he has 5 or 6 years left in his legs.

Is it April 1st ?

thats probably another 20 goals for his country anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I'm happy for Robbie to start against Kazakstan and the Faroes but I would have him on the bench in the games against good opposition. Too much of a risk to have someone who does nothing from open play on the field for those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just a question, how many players currently have more international goals then Keane and are still playing?

Klose is the only I can think of off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Only Klose and Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just a question, how many players currently have more international goals then Keane and are still playing?

Klose is the only I can think of off the top of my head.
    Is Drogba gone from International football? Because he's on 60 according to wikipedia

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Only Klose and Drogba.
    D'Agger wrote: »
    Is Drogba gone from International football? Because he's on 60 according to wikipedia

Wouldnt have guessed Drogba actually, I was thinking Villa but I think Keane has 2 or 3 more then him.

Not sure if hes retired, he played the ACN a few months ago, not sure if ehs played for Ivory Coast since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wouldnt have guessed Drogba actually, I was thinking Villa but I think Keane has 2 or 3 more then him.

Not sure if hes retired, he played the ACN a few months ago, not sure if ehs played for Ivory Coast since.
    Villa is 3 behind him link here

Seeing Ali Daei at #1 brought back some memories - serious player!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Villa is 3 behind him link here

Seeing Ali Daei at #1 brought back some memories - serious player!

Slightly off topic but Godfrey Chitalu, remember his name around the time of the Messi/Muller goals in a calendar year debate.

Tragic loss of life for the entire Zambia team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

57 and counting. Fair fcks to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Leading goal scorer in Britain and Ireland.

Leading goal scorer in Britain and Ireland.

In Europe? Maybe Gerd Muller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The man is a class act in fairness, will always remember the goal he scored against Germany at the 2002 WC..only one Kahn conceded before the final too.

It's Muller's record at top European, 62 I think. He can definitely aim at that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Muller has 68. Top in Europe is Puskas with 84.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

58!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can this fúcking thread be closed? I <3 Keane but the nuthuggers who come into this thread for every goal are ridic annoying at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Lo ****ing l at this thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Go Robbie Go! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Captain fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Not very impressed, a load of 4 yard tap-ins against a team that look like they're just out to get the free gear. The commentary is painful, calling him one of the greatest international strikers of all time, give me a ****ing break. I agree that he's good and he should stay on but this nuthugging has to stop, i'd give MoTM to about 3 different Irish players before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Legit national hero.

Not very impressed, a load of 4 yard tap-ins against a team that look like they're just out to get the free gear. The commentary is painful, calling him one of the greatest international strikers of all time, give me a ****ing break. I agree that he's good and he should stay on but this nuthugging has to stop, i'd give MoTM to about 3 different Irish players before him.

He scored a hatrick, who else would they give motm to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

If he's not gone from the squad in the morning after that performance, I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Will you get up the yard. give motm to 3 different players ? over a hatrick.

I think there is edgits out there who just spout stuff to be controversial, not saying you are one..not saying your not.

But the yard is there for you to get up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

listermint wrote: »
    Will you get up the yard. give motm to 3 different players ? over a hatrick.

I think there is edgits out there who just spout stuff to be controversial, not saying you are one..not saying your not.

But the yard is there for you to get up.

I am saying I wouldn't give it to him, if you asked me who would get MoTM I would obviously say Keane, even though the he made the ball travel a total of 12 yards for his three goals. Any striker worth his weight in salt would have put 3 past a team like that. Houlihan put in a good, productive performance, from a purely footballing point of view he deserved it, but I digress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Well done Robert Keane, the former Manchester United midfielder, who just scored his 126th goal for Ireland! A true legend!
    170658hp2.jpg

I am saying I wouldn't give it to him, if you asked me who would get MoTM I would obviously say Keane, even though the he made the ball travel a total of 12 yards for his three goals. Any striker worth his weight in salt would have put 3 past a team like that. Houlihan put in a good, productive performance, from a purely footballing point of view he deserved it, but I digress.

You said three....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Duff wrote: »
    If he's not gone from the squad in the morning after that performance, I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to the FAI.

Make sure to scan it and post it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That match would have finished scoreless without Keane.

ebbsy wrote: »

What are you talking about sure there was 3 players ahead of him for man of the match... didnt they bang in all the goa.... oh wait... ehh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Bulls***e.

Lets put this into context, it was the worst team in Europe out there tonight, Robbie is well past his best as he proved against real opposition such as Germany, Sweden and Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

OP, I demand you fall to your knees; retract your original post; and beg for our collective mercy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Robbie, Robbie Keane.
    Robbie, Robbie Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Will our group have the worst 2nd placed team ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Will our group have the worst 2nd placed team ?????

Looking like Albania are missing out at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BOHtox wrote: »
    Well done Robert Keane, the former Manchester United midfielder, who just scored his 126th goal for Ireland! A true legend!
    170658hp2.jpg
    :confused:
    Why are you putting up that picture?

Edit: I didn't read your whole post, just seen the first four words and the pic.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

From the BBC:
    Robbie Keane is now the fifth-highest international goalscorer in European history with 59 goals.

Only German duo Miroslav Klose (67) and Gerd Muller (68) and Hungarian pair Sandor Kocsis (75) and Ferenc Puskas (84) have scored more.

In Robbie Keane, this is not a once in a generation player we have got; this is a once in a century player.

The next time Halley's comet comes round, Robbie Keane will in all likelihood still be our record goalscorer.

Legend for Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement