Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Robbie Keane retire from ROI squad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So the guys that want Keane gone, your main argument is that he doesn't score in the big games.

Is there someone to replace him that does score these goals in big games? :confused:

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So the guys that want Keane gone, your main argument is that he doesn't score in the big games.

Is there someone to replace him that does score these goals in big games? :confused:

Only one way to find out. No point flogging a dead horse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Conor Sammon obviously!!! Everyone knows that!!! :P:P:P:D:D:D

Obviously I'm being sarcastic. But I've recently noticed that that's lost on people here, so I have to explicitly state it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

RVP with the service any of our strikers get in bigger games would do well to score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Only one way to find out. No point flogging a dead horse.

I can think of more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Who has said that? Most people just dont want him as an automatic starter anymore.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Who has said that? Most people just dont want him as an automatic starter anymore.

*Looks at thread title

Have you actually been following this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

*Looks at thread title

Have you actually been following this thread?

Have you? Hardly anyone has agreed that he should retire. Again, the majority only want him to no longer be an automatic starter.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Have you? Hardly anyone has agreed that he should retire. Again, the majority only want him to no longer be an automatic starter.

I'm not going to quote every person that said he should retire. There's at least 2 or 3 on the first page of the thread alone.

Anyway my point is still the same about starting him above the other guys there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

And around we go again.

It doesn't matter if his replacements don't score in these big games for the point of our argument - while we would like them to and we obviously need goals to win, they are capable of scoring and if they don't they inevitably will have contributed lots to the play.

The point people are making, but others keep ignoring and banging on insufferably with the same old stuff, is that Walters and Long add so much more to our game when they aren't scoring goals. They have shown a reasonable ability to score, perhaps not on Keanes level, but they know where the net is. They still offer so much to the team when they don't end up scoring - and against the big teams if Keane doesn't score he offers next to nothing, and he hasn't been scoring against the big teams for a long time.

Again, nobody is trying to take away his achievements, nobody is trying to say he doesn't still have a role, in smaller games, in the dressing room and from the bench. The fact is though, that he should not be starting games against opposition of reasonable and higher quality.

I'm not going to quote every person that said he should retire. There's at least 2 or 3 on the first page of the thread alone.

Anyway my point is still the same about starting him above the other guys there.
    22 thanks on the post saying he should have retired when he moved to LA is sufficient evidence alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Little snippet from an article by Paul Little on 365:
    Robbie Keane has scored 59 senior international goals in a record 126 appearances for the Republic of Ireland. Of those 59 goals, 40 have come in 80 competitive fixtures - a rate of a goal every second game in the fixtures that matter at international level.

Article in full...

My personal opinion is that as long as Robbie has the desire and the fitness to contribute, then he should continue to make himself available. He still has a lot to offer in many different capacities. Whether or not he starts every game he is available for is where the real issue lies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

bohsfan wrote: »
    Little snippet from an article by Paul Little on 365:

Article in full...

My personal opinion is that as long as Robbie has the desire and the fitness to contribute, then he should continue to make himself available. He still has a lot to offer in many different capacities. Whether or not he starts every game he is available for is where the real issue lies...

I'd go along with that, I hope and am delighted that he continues to make himself available for Ireland, it's up to the manager to decide whether he should start every game or not. It's not something taken for granted these days, when lots of players pack in playing for their country long before their careers are over so as they can "concentrate on their club careers" or "spend more time with their families".

Robbie Keane is a great example of proper professional commitment to playing for his country to lots of players. Hopefully he'll still make himself available for a few more years yet. When he does eventually go, that's when he'll be missed.

Take that, haters!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Every time this thread is bumped I know he has scored.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Oat23 wrote: »
    Which is basically everytime Ireland play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Robbie has been the main man for the past 12 or so years. Before that we had Quinn and Aldo and before that Stapleton. When Robbie retires it will be the first time in a quarter of a century that we do not have at least one top class striker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Robbie has been the main man for the past 12 or so years. Before that we had Quinn and Aldo and before that Stapleton. When Robbie retires it will be the first time in a quarter of a century that we do not have at least one top class striker.

I completely disagree......
    .....what about Conor Sammon!! :pac::pac::pac:

Robbie Keane has scored 59 senior international goals in a record 126 appearances for the Republic of Ireland. Of those 59 goals, 40 have come in 80 competitive fixtures - a rate of a goal every second game in the fixtures that matter at international level.

Yeah, except it's not a goal every second game is it?? I mean, looking at Wikepedia alone (not the most reliable source I know but surely it's accurate on this account) he has only scored in 29 (not 40) of those 82 competitive games. Suddenly that makes it a lot closer to a rate of a goal every 3 games.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not arguing against the inclusion of Robbie Keane, especially now that he seems to be "proving his doubters wrong":rolleyes:! I'm just highlighting the flaw in that statistic. For example, he scored hatricks against San Marino and the Faroes. Those alone are going to distort that statistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I had an odd little mini dream last night that Robbie quit playing club football to prolong his international career...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

no he should not retire but he should only be played against the lesser teams as he is well able to score against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Wilberto wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong though, I'm not arguing against the inclusion of Robbie Keane, especially now that he seems to be "proving his doubters wrong":rolleyes:! I'm just highlighting the flaw in that statistic. For example, he scored hatricks against San Marino and the Faroes. Those alone are going to distort that statistic.

This is the case for every single striker at this high level. Its no surprise that good players will score more against weaker opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its not telling the full story to simply say, he hasn't scored in our last 14 "big" games, he certainly has actually, sorry to break it to you but its not just the Germanys and the Russians of this world that are "big" games to Ireland, and anyone who has seen how the team sets up and plays in the "big" games would realise that him not scoring in them is hardly surprising and certainly not something to beat him with. Its just lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Robbie Keane is barely average anymore by international standerds, but there's still nobody fit to shine his boots. If you think Long or Doyle are remotely near international quality, forget about it. What other national teams would either make the starting 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

His best days are beyond him for sure, bet he is still better than "barely average"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stupid fecking thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Stupid fecking thread

Absolutely. The man has scored 60 goals for us! 60! We'll never see the likes again. He's scored against Holland, Germany, Italy, Spain and France. If I'm not mistaken, he's also scored in every play-off tie we've played since he started playing. Hopefully he decides to carry on for at least one more campaign, because I doubt I'll see a striker half as good as Keane in a green jersey in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

Does a cartwheel after scoring against a lowly nation.

That's my biggest problem with the clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

I hate when people throw out the argument that a lot of his goals came against weak opposition, if it weren't for those goals through the years we most likely would have dropped a lot more points in qualifiers. I'd argue that those goals we just as important as any against the bigger teams because lets be honest, we've never exactly been renowned for our free scoring football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Idiotic thread.

Of course not. His goal v Sweden was up there with his very best. It came from nothing. His thinking movement and reactions are still there. Why do people try to retire people over 30!?
    His 3goals v The Faros might look easy but its his movement that made it look easy. He also had the service that day something Traps teams rarely gave him
    Robbie is an Irish sporting legend .Lets get as much out of him as we can before he really does hang up his boots.
    Sad thing is we have nobody coming along like him and I doubt his goal tally for Ireland will ever be beaten.
    He still has a lot to offer for Ireland and im sure our new manager will make sure he stays on playing.

Another point . Robbie loves playing for his country and its only a shame we havent more with that attitude. We are fcukd when hes gone. Stokes etc are no replacements...

There really is only 1 keano and we need him for a bit yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

Robbie will sign for Chelski on a January loan deal. In process he will solve their goal scoring problems and win them the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He should keep playing until all his boyhood dreams are complete...

This is the case for every single striker at this high level. Its no surprise that good players will score more against weaker opposition.

I agree. As I said, I'm not arguing against Robbie Keane. I'm simply pointing out the flaw in using that statistic. It makes the record sound better than what it actually is.

I'd prefer a "No. of games scored in / Total Games played" statistic which gives a better indication of the player's goal scoring rate per games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I agree. As I said, I'm not arguing against Robbie Keane. I'm simply pointing out the flaw in using that statistic. It makes the record sound better than what it actually is.

I'd prefer a "No. of games scored in / Total Games played" statistic which gives a better indication of the player's goal scoring rate per games.

In the same way then you may have strikers scoring loads of 4th goals in 4-0 wins against every team.

The bottom line is Keane has a fantastic goal scoring record. This is jut a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I hate when people throw out the argument that a lot of his goals came against weak opposition, if it weren't for those goals through the years we most likely would have dropped a lot more points in qualifiers. I'd argue that those goals we just as important as any against the bigger teams because lets be honest, we've never exactly been renowned for our free scoring football.
    Not argueing that he scores the goals but that point is a bit like the "if liverpool didnt have suarez last season theyd be relegated" line. As if its a choice between having suarez or playing with 10 men. The volume might not have been the same or it might have been spread across a nimber of other players but other goals would have been scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Robbie should be allowed to keep playing till his legs drop off or till he sitesscores a couple off times against a bigger team. Still a legend

There really is only 1 keano and we need him for a bit yet...

I agree. It's just a pity he retired several years ago. :D :P!

The bottom line is Keane has a fantastic goal scoring record. This is jut a fact

Again, I'm not disputing that. I'm just alerting people to the obvious flaw in that statistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He's past it, and he doesn't fit into the way we should be playing.

He can only play as part of a front 2. We should be playing 1 up to with 2 attacking players off the striker. He can't do this, so should be dropped to at least the bench. But I bet Robbie wouldn't stand for this. If he's not an automatic starter, he'll retire from international football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He's past it, and he doesn't fit into the way we should be playing.

He can only play as part of a front 2. We should be playing 1 up to with 2 attacking players off the striker. He can't do this, so should be dropped to at least the bench. But I bet Robbie wouldn't stand for this. If he's not an automatic starter, he'll retire from international football.

You do the man a disservice... first he is our most consistent goalscorer, that's a fact. Secondly, he has been one of our most loyal and hard-working players for Ireland, to hint otherwise is absolute crap. To suggest that he would jump ship if dropped to the bench is completely unfounded.
    Say he's past it when he stops popping up with vital goals for us, goals which have allowed us to qualify for tournaments.

I really don't get someone people's disdain for him... it's laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

I agree. It's just a pity he retired several years ago. :D :P!

Hahaha..

I dont think so pal

You do the man a disservice... first he is our most consistent goalscorer, that's a fact. Secondly, he has been one of our most loyal and hard-working players for Ireland, to hint otherwise is absolute crap. To suggest that he would jump ship if dropped to the bench is completely unfounded.
    Say he's past it when he stops popping up with vital goals for us, goals which have allowed us to qualify for tournaments.

I really don't get someone people's disdain for him... it's laughable

He's past it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He's past it

Who is our top goalscorer this campaign?

If you drop him tomorrow who gets us the goals from those coming through?

John Walters has the same amount of goals as Keane and he's been on the wing all campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

John Walters has the same amount of goals as Keane and he's been on the wing all campaign.

So retire Keane and play Walters. Our joint top goal scorer this campaign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He's past it

Stunning rebuke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Its a silly argument and it has been since the thread was started. No he should not be dropped but it depends on the formation we play in the future whether he should be a starter or not. If he wants to carry on then he should be picked(squad).
    I would not have him as captain though and tbh I wouldnt have picked him as captain years ago either. He is passionate about playing for his country but I never seen him as an Ideal captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Robbie Brady should take his place.

When Connor Sammon isn't fit.

Stupid fecking thread, must unsub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I think it is vital that Keane stays on as a squad member. He has bust a gut to play for his country when he could have taken the easy option and jacked it in. He doesn't have 90 minutes in him anymore and yes he doesn't adapt well to being a one man strike force, but with 10 minutes to go in a game, when you need a player who has that eye for goal Keane is a fantastic option to have. If he stays on and accepts a more squad based role with a new manager, it will be a coup for the new man in charge. We need players like Robbie, especially in this day and age when younger players see their peers retire from international football before they reach 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I don't see why he should retire?

Let the manager decide that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement