Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up an online shop

• 22-05-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping to set up a webshop and have very little experience with this sort of thing. Would anyone be able to outline the general process involved?
    I've chosen a name and expect most sales to be international. Would a .ie domain be a disadvantage for this?
    Also, is it better to choose your own registrar and hosting company, or would an 'all in one' provider that can sort out the web design and merchant side of things be better?
    Any input would be appreciated, or if you think there's anything I should be aware. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Further to your enquiry, how do you intend to source stock? how will you market your website and manage search engine optimisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Piriz wrote: »
    Further to your enquiry, how do you intend to source stock? how will you market your website and manage search engine optimisation?

Great I points I missed out on, Thanks! I've secured two decent suppliers (one pending on the website, the other I'm currently using on a small scale and very happy with). I am reasonably confident about marketing and I do have a, albeit, small loyal customer base to start from, this will need some work, suggestions are welcome.
    SEO is probably where everything will fall apart. It's going to pivotal in the success of the site and I can't quite get my head around it. I've spent the past few days looking into how to improve results but I'm probably going to have to seek help for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

what type of stuff do you sell? any images of items?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Piriz wrote: »
    what type of stuff do you sell? any images of items?

Collectibles/Hobby Gaming, it's by no means original and while there is several well established competitors, there is some room in the market.
    Photos for the site? I will have basic stock photos available to cover the vast majority of items, but I don't currently have any that I could call my own and are suitable for online sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I see Shopify get recommended a lot as an all-in-one solution.

The major advantage to it is that if you want you can start off small and upgrade as you grow, rather than pay upfront to have a custom e-commerce backend built.

I haven't used it myself, nor used it for any clients, just see it recommended a lot by various web designers and people in the tech entrepreneur space. There's a free trial so it could be worth just having a look around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement