Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked Phone Problem

Options
  • 23-05-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I bought a sony ericsson w705 which was bought unlocked from england a few years ago.
    It was sold as not working on network three.
    It was originally working on vodafone uk.
    It works on every irish network except three.
    Can anyone please explain why this is and if there is a way to make it work.
    There are versions of this phone which are unlocked and working on three.
    My friend also has one of these which is unlocked and works on three.
    Thanks
    Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

If it was imei blocked by three in england it won't work on any three network in europe

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I bought a sony ericsson w705 which was bought unlocked from england a few years ago.
    It was sold as not working on network three.
    It was originally working on vodafone uk.
    It works on every irish network except three.
    Can anyone please explain why this is and if there is a way to make it work.
    There are versions of this phone which are unlocked and working on three.
    My friend also has one of these which is unlocked and works on three.
    Thanks
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

ianblyth wrote: »
    If it was imei blocked by three in england it won't work on any three network in europe

I don't think this is the issue though. If it was blocked would it not be blocked off vodafone, o2,etc. It was originally a vodafone phone and it works with them fine

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

With some of the Sony Ericssons there is a setting that you can toggle between GSM and HSDPA

3 Ireland use HSPDA and then roam on to Voda's GSM network.

I suspect you need to go to the network settings and make sure GSM and HSDPA are sellected and not GSM only.

Press Menu
    Select Settings
    Select Connectivity tab
    Select Mobile networks
    Select GSM/3G networks
    Select GSM and 3G

Using GSM only improves battery life, so maybe the original owner only used that setting.

Advertisement