Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basement suites - yes or no?

Options
  • 23-05-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hello,

Myself and my boyfriend have been granted IEC visas and are heading out to Vancouver in August. I've been looking around on Craigslist (I know it's a bit dodge but only looking to get the general idea) and Kijiji, and basement suites tend to be quite popular on the listings.

Has anyone ever lived in one/thought about living in one? If so, what's it like? The rent seems nice enough and utilities etc can be included, but I can imagine it as cold, dangerous, and a bit scary once the snow comes in case you get snowed in. Plus the landlord would be living upstairs.

Are they dodgy or good??? Also, is there anywhere else to look for furnished apartments? Don't really want to be spending more than 1500 dollars a month altogether.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Niamh_M wrote: »
    Hello,

Myself and my boyfriend have been granted IEC visas and are heading out to Vancouver in August. I've been looking around on Craigslist (I know it's a bit dodge but only looking to get the general idea) and Kijiji, and basement suites tend to be quite popular on the listings.

Has anyone ever lived in one/thought about living in one? If so, what's it like? The rent seems nice enough and utilities etc can be included, but I can imagine it as cold, dangerous, and a bit scary once the snow comes in case you get snowed in. Plus the landlord would be living upstairs.

Are they dodgy or good??? Also, is there anywhere else to look for furnished apartments? Don't really want to be spending more than 1500 dollars a month altogether.

I lived in one in Vancouver for a few months, I'm 6'3" and I probably did some brain damage with the amount of times I cracked my head off the ceiling. That place probably wasn't up to code though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

snow?Have you looked up Vancouver:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Flooding is more likely than getting snowed in in Vancouver, some basement suites will be fine others won't, take a long look before you sign a lease.

I've heard of basement suites in Calgary flooding when the snow melts

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Van do get snow but not much. I lived there for a year in a basement suite and had a lot of privacy and facilities. They are definitely the way to go when getting your first place if your on a tight budget at the start.

You will have to furnish it yourselves though but not to worry as there are many many thrift (second-hand) shops everywhere. You can get chairs and tables there pretty cheap.

Here's a tip aswell, if you're having trouble finding work in Van try the commuter towns of Surrey and Langley where you wont have as much competition (other Irish) but still have a short train ride into the city.

Van is a great city!

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Myself and my boyfriend have been living in a basement suite since September and it's completely fine. Not all suites will be the same, obviously, but ours is very modern (much better kitchen and bathroom equipment than the West End apartments some friends live in). Our landlord does not live upstairs and not all landlords will live upstairs. It can get a bit chilly in winter but nothing to write home about.

Basement suites aren't unusual here so it's not uncommon to come across very nice basement suites. Even my boss, a middle aged businessman, lives in a basement so if you're worried about any stigmas or anything like that, don't be. Like with any type of apartment, there will be amazing ones and diabolical ones.

Oh, and like someone else said, the least of your worries is the tiny bit of snow that might fall two or three times during winter. It's Vancouver! Be more concerned with rain and any sloping outside the basement that may lead to interior flooding. Also check out rentbc.com as an alternative to CraigsList if you are worried CL is dodgy (generally, it's not though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

The only advantage to a basement is that it's cheaper.

It will be darker, damper, colder, have lower ceiling height, and be more prone to flooding than a regular apartment.

But sometimes it just has to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I lived in one with a Hawaiian guy in Vancouver for a few months. My only complaint was the ceiling was a bit low. Other than that it was grand. Basement suites are normal in Vancouver. You won't get snowed in either in Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The only advantage to a basement is that it's cheaper.

It will be darker, damper, colder, have lower ceiling height, and be more prone to flooding than a regular apartment.

But sometimes it just has to be done!

If a basement apartment is finished to code it will not be colder or damper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

If a basement apartment is finished to code it will not be colder or damper.

That's a big 'if' though!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Niamh_M

Thanks everyone for the comments - they were really helpful!! I'll definitely look for slopings etc which could make the likes of flooding more likely. I have never been to Vancouver and now I realise that the rain is a bit more of a problem - (which, to be honest, I am kind of happy about haha).

I agree - some of the basement suites are lovely (in the pictures at least), and they can be quite spacious and you do seem to get a lot more for your money. I won't be writing it off just yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 davybrown

Niamh_M wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the comments - they were really helpful!! I'll definitely look for slopings etc which could make the likes of flooding more likely. I have never been to Vancouver and now I realise that the rain is a bit more of a problem - (which, to be honest, I am kind of happy about haha).

I agree - some of the basement suites are lovely (in the pictures at least), and they can be quite spacious and you do seem to get a lot more for your money. I won't be writing it off just yet :)

we're not that tall so doesnt really matter about the low ceilings. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

Lived in one for a year, was grand, like my own little hobbit hole :-) 2 bedroom apartment for 500$ a month.

They're cheaper, and can be in grand nick. Mine had a high ceiling and lots of light on one side of the apartment. However the electricity bill can be a bit higher, and I could sometimes hear mice in the walls and under the floor, though thankfully they stayed away from my living space.

So yeah, it's a trade-off :-D

Advertisement