Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nora Lisa

Options
  • 23-05-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Came Across this on Facebook it's <good old> Nora down to a T 255114.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Wow. That's stunningly good. Any idea who painted it, Pa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I don't feel comfortable with portraying well-known local characters on the web, whether in a good light or other, without their knowledge.

You should have been here for the KD megathread back in the day. Good times!

That had to be shut down however because it got out of control. We've learned our lesson since.

Something like this though, that embodies a part of Galway is, in my opinion anyway, highly encouraging and nice to see.
    kraggy wrote: »
    I don't feel comfortable with portraying well-known local characters on the web, whether in a good light or other, without their knowledge.

Please feel free to let her know about this thread when you're next speaking to her.

That had to be shut down however because it got out of control. We've learned our lesson since.

Something like this though, that embodies a part of Galway is, in my opinion anyway, highly encouraging and nice to see.

Please feel free to let her know about this thread when you're next speaking to her.

The "KD" thread is exactly what I was thinking about when I was referring to portraying people on a bad light.

It was a disgrace. That and the website "dedicated" to him. Either people are stupid enough to presume he'd never come across it, or they just don't care.

It's bullying no matter what way you slice it. Imagine coming across a website that calls you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Should it be in the art forum if its about a painting? I'm inclined to agree with Kraggy. It's not like negative comments don't always pop up about the person. This person in particular. Boards is very quick to 'nip it in the bud' when a business is being discussed, but an individual without much clout doesn't seem to be treated the same.

If all comments were positive then it would be one thing, but slagging is the point isn't it (not directed at the OP of this one, just a general note)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

If that picture depicts a real person then I think it is in very bad taste to post it on the Internet without the individual's permission. Just my personal view and not aimed at OP or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Have to agree with above. If one of us was being discussed on Boards we wouldn't be too happy. Just cos Nora, KD etc aren't on Boards (as far as we know) shouldn't make things any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Have to agree with above. If one of us was being discussed on Boards we wouldn't be too happy. Just cos Nora, KD etc aren't on Boards (as far as we know) shouldn't make things any different.

And the difference between talking about them in the boozer is?

antoobrien wrote: »
    And the difference between talking about them in the boozer is?

If you can't see the difference between a public forum and a private conversation then I'm not sure you should be on the Internet.

If you can't see the difference between a public forum and a private conversation then I'm not sure you should be on the Internet.

There's no such thing as a private conversation in a pub, anyone can overhear it.

• Advertisement

Also, yeah, I'm sure she'd be delighted to see herself being referred to in such a derogatory manner in the OP.

Are you a mod on this forum? On the phone so can't see whether or not you are.

Hopefully Biko will be along soon and sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Wow. That's stunningly good. Any idea who painted it, Pa?

Gordon Harris - High St gallery. It's an oil on canvas.

There's no such thing as a private conversation in a pub, anyone can overhear it.

Lol.

Lol.

No lols about it, there is no such thing as privacy in a public setting. If one says something in public and it is (over)heard, then one is responsible for what one has said. If what is said is libellous one can end up in court (same as if it was said here), if it's insulting one could potentially end up with a bruised ego or person depending on the reaction of the person in question.

I've read the o.p. and I really have no idea how it's derogatory. If you're referring to the use of the word "warty", unfortunately for Nora that is a fact of life, not a put down.

If one had described me as balding and posted a painting that's a good likeness I wouldn't be able to complain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Believe me when I say, that the first person to say anything derogatory about our fair Nora on here, will be dealt with harshly. Wooden spoon shtyle!

Yes kraggy, you're right. The KD thread was a right old mess; I should know, I was at the centre of it. :o

Now we're all a little older and wiser, and know that libellous stuff of that calibre won't fly here.

Something like this is more of a tribute than anything else. Again, strictly in my opinion anyway.

I can't get over the quality of the painting though. The work on the scarf is amazing. :eek:

If one says something in public and it is (over)heard, then one is responsible for what one has said. If what is said is libellous one can end up in court (same as if it was said here), if it's insulting one could potentially end up with a bruised ego or person depending on the reaction of the person in question.

But morality and common decency to an older woman aside, isn't part of the issue that boards.ie isn't a public forum and boards itself (as opposed to the individual) could be liable for any slanderous posts here, whether the lady in question (or an organisation on her behalf) choose to pursue it legally?

No lols about it, there is no such thing as privacy in a public setting. If one says something in public and it is (over)heard, then one is responsible for what one has said. If what is said is libellous one can end up in court (same as if it was said here), if it's insulting one could potentially end up with a bruised ego or person depending on the reaction of the person in question.

I've read the o.p. and I really have no idea how it's derogatory. If you're referring to the use of the word "warty", unfortunately for Nora that is a fact of life, not a put down.

If one had described me as balding and posted a painting that's a good likeness I wouldn't be able to complain either.

2 people can have control over what is heard and not heard in a conversation. This is a public forum where everything that's posted can be seen from any place in the world that has an Internet connection.

And most important of all, there's a world of difference between someone having a physical condition and using the adjective form as a name for said person.

inisboffin wrote: »
    But morality and common decency to an older woman aside,

This is going o.t. but that was the heart of my original point to kraggy, there is no difference in common decency between posting anything here and saying it in a pub or walking down Shop Street.
    isn't part of the issue that boards.ie isn't a public forum

It is a public forum in that one does not need to be a member to read it, just to post. IIRC there are no bars to access for posters beyond having an email address, so there's nothing to make it private in any way - with the exception of people that get themselves sitebanned.
    and boards itself (as opposed to the individual) could be liable for any slanderous posts here, whether the lady in question (or an organisation on her behalf) choose to pursue it legally?

Boards and the individuals who slandered anyone would be libel for any any slanders.

That's one I can't fathom myself, a paper mill or ink company isn't held responsible for the slanders of a newspaper or magazine, so why boards should be held responsible for the slanders of its users is beyond me. However that is very definitely a discussion for a different part of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

The only person i recognise in that is good old Brendan.

• Advertisement

2 people can have control over what is heard and not heard in a conversation. This is a public forum where everything that's posted can be seen from any place in the world that has an Internet connection.

That's just it, two people can not control what is overheard in public, unless they have control what other people hear - which given the varying levels of hearing ability and disability is all but impossible.
    And most important of all, there's a world of difference between

Not really both are public conversations (in that they happen in public), the only difference being the potential audience, even then that is irrelevant unless the right/wrong person (depending on your p.o.v.) hears/sees the comments.

We've strayed way o.t. from the picture here, so if you want to continue further may I suggest a thread on the topic?

However that is very definitely a discussion for a different part of the site.

Indeed it is.

Now, I must stress that people only post pertaining to that of the original post.

If people have a problem with this thread, by all means report away and send it higher up the chain for consideration. My 2 cents is that, I like this picture; I see it as a nice homage to a well known element of Galway.

I can't get over the quality of the painting though. The work on the scarf is amazing. :eek:

The detail work on the shawl is fantastic.

Does anyone know if this is a current exhibition? I'd love to see that painting in person.

Does anyone know if this is a current exhibition? I'd love to see that painting in person.

According to their website it was over in April

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

According to their website it was over in April

it was hanging up there about 2 weeks ago im sure most of them are still there

This is going o.t. but that was the heart of my original point to kraggy, there is no difference in common decency between posting anything here and saying it in a pub or walking down Shop Street.

It is a public forum in that one does not need to be a member to read it, just to post. IIRC there are no bars to access for posters beyond having an email address, so there's nothing to make it private in any way - with the exception of people that get themselves sitebanned.

Boards and the individuals who slandered anyone would be libel for any any slanders.

That's one I can't fathom myself, a paper mill or ink company isn't held responsible for the slanders of a newspaper or magazine, so why boards should be held responsible for the slanders of its users is beyond me. However that is very definitely a discussion for a different part of the site.

Yes possibly boards and the person may be liable but not sure how traceable the individuals are or how that stands up. I disagree with you about how this should be treated in terms of privacy, but as you have also pointed up this has gone off topic. I think people were / are reactive based on past nasty threads, but RedhairedGuy has rightly edited the original post, so perhaps people will now post on the painting with a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I only took a glance through it, but that KD thread looks horrible :S

Advertisement