Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford music scene. Jazz/Rock/Alternative

Options
  • 23-05-2013 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, whats the music scene like in Waterford these days. I'm dying to go see a gig sometime soon, particularly jazz or something but I dont mind rock/alternative either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Hey guys, whats the music scene like in Waterford these days. I'm dying to go see a gig sometime soon, particularly jazz or something but I dont mind rock/alternative either.

Jazz session Tuesday nights in Shortts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Nypd wrote: »
    Jazz session Tuesday nights in Shortts

every tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

a lot of great bands in Waterford last few years. keep eye out for 'kodaline' (think thats their name), 'Solar Taxi', obviously 'O emperor' and others. The first 2 i think were nominated in Hot press top 10 up and coming recently.

A lot of local talent will be on display at the day tripper festival, i would definitely recommend you get a ticket for that.

every tuesday?

As far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Max Powers wrote: »
    a lot of great bands in Waterford last few years. keep eye out for 'kodaline' (think thats their name), 'Solar Taxi', obviously 'O emperor' and others. The first 2 i think were nominated in Hot press top 10 up and coming recently.
    Kodakid? They're the local band. Well worth looking up!
    (Kodaline are Dublin based)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Grimey Phils in Johnstown do the odd jazz / alternative gig every few weeks. They never really advertise it though so you just have to look at the posters on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

I think you mean Kodakid lol. Kodaline are from dublin

You should check out Murphys Bar on the Quay for live music. There do live bands every weekend such as Crow Black Chicken, Kodakid, Kamakaze Turtels, The Big Kahuna and loads more. They really do alot for the waterford music scene and are never given any notice

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

OpenTempoFM is only on for the weekends, starts on Fridays.. 105.1FM 6pm
    I first read about it here, now im hooked!
    Theres a polish show on Saturday mornings and Sunday evenings, some of the music is brilliant!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056680474

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

+1 for Murphy's on the Quay, I actually don't get in there much these days lol but the majority of my mates are there regularly and love it. I've often heard them say good things about Crow Black Chicken in particular.

• Advertisement

new o emperor album out this weekend and i think they might be doing a gig in the forum, could be next weekend, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

new o emperor album out this weekend and i think they might be doing a gig in the forum, could be next weekend, not sure.
    Album is out today. gig in the Forum tomorrow night.

Downloaded the new O-emperor album (Vitreous), first impression: good, these lads are definitely not crowd followers and you will not be hearing any of these songs as backing to TV ads for mobile phone companies, its a little bit out-there, and sometimes when you think that a song isnt doing anything for you, they change it up and you start enjoying it. There are one or 2 max radio friendly songs (contact is one anyway). I read a reviewer that said it reminded him of late Beatles stuff, i would definitely agree with that (add in some radiohead maybe too) so next stop for o-emperor might be a trip to India and some chemical experimentation. Well worth the €8 download. Apologies if this reads like an amateur music journalist, i couldnt be further from that but i think good local bands deserve a nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Downloaded the new O-emperor album (Vitreous), first impression: good, these lads are definitely not crowd followers and you will not be hearing any of these songs as backing to TV ads for mobile phone companies, its a little bit out-there, and sometimes when you think that a song isnt doing anything for you, they change it up and you start enjoying it. There are one or 2 max radio friendly songs (contact is one anyway). I read a reviewer that said it reminded him of late Beatles stuff, i would definitely agree with that (add in some radiohead maybe too) so next stop for o-emperor might be a trip to India and some chemical experimentation. Well worth the €8 download. Apologies if this reads like an amateur music journalist, i couldnt be further from that but i think good local bands deserve a nod.

Fair play Max.

I bought the album last week and was at the gig on Saturday. I think the new album is brilliant and their live performance is always top notch. An amazing band and just a pity that more Waterford people didn't come out and support them. Not that the place was empty but I think they deserve a bit more support. They really are one of the best Irish bands of the moment. Hopefully they manage to get some press in the UK with this album because it must be very hard to be successful if you're only really in Ireland. Although they did release the first album in Germany too and played a good few gigs there.

if anyone fancies checking the album out before deciding to buy or not, they have the full album available for streaming on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Never took to O Emperor tbh

kryogen wrote: »
    Never took to O Emperor tbh

Yeah their sound is not going to be for everyone but their talent is unquestioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah their sound is not going to be for everyone but their talent is unquestioned.

My thoughts exactly. As long as an artist has talent and is passionate about their music then they deserve respect regardless of whether the music does it personally for you I've always believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

So these bands that are on in Murphy's on the quay at weekends, are they all cover bands or do they play their own music? Wouldn't mind a change of scenery on a Saturday night. Didn't know Murphy's had bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Fair play Max.

I bought the album last week and was at the gig on Saturday. I think the new album is brilliant and their live performance is always top notch. An amazing band and just a pity that more Waterford people didn't come out and support them. Not that the place was empty but I think they deserve a bit more support. They really are one of the best Irish bands of the moment. Hopefully they manage to get some press in the UK with this album because it must be very hard to be successful if you're only really in Ireland. Although they did release the first album in Germany too and played a good few gigs there.

if anyone fancies checking the album out before deciding to buy or not, they have the full album available for streaming on their website.

I was surprised at how poor the crowd was on Saturday night considering the last couple of times they played there it was rocking. Although I'm not sure if Slane the same night took away many punters. A good band and the lads are brilliant to deal with. I've photographed them quite a few times and heading up to Dublin on Friday night to catch them again.

I know of one lad who tweeted to Tony Fenton to bring in local talent while he's down here broadcasting. A few hours later and the band got the call to come on the show. With little/no support it's very hard to get a live scene back up and running.

DupsTheKid wrote: »
    So these bands that are on in Murphy's on the quay at weekends, are they all cover bands or do they play their own music? Wouldn't mind a change of scenery on a Saturday night. Didn't know Murphy's had bands.

Yea Murphy's has bands all the time. A mix of stuff.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    I was surprised at how poor the crowd was on Saturday night considering the last couple of times they played there it was rocking. Although I'm not sure if Slane the same night took away many punters. A good band and the lads are brilliant to deal with. I've photographed them quite a few times and heading up to Dublin on Friday night to catch them again.

I know of one lad who tweeted to Tony Fenton to bring in local talent while he's down here broadcasting. A few hours later and the band got the call to come on the show. With little/no support it's very hard to get a live scene back up and running.

The price was a lot to do with it €15 would have put a lot off.
    Ventured into Shortts for Solar Taxi the place was rammed.
    So the support is there ok.

Waterford has always been a tough nut to crack for supporting live music. Strange thing. Never figured why.

In Dublin €15 would have been pushing towards an international artist with a few albums behind them

I wouldn't have thought that was particularly expensive. I think I paid €20 to see Villagers in The Savoy in Cork back in March. Not too much between the two.

Solar Taxi were in Shortt's on a Saturday night and it was free, am I correct? I'm sure there was a portion of people who were there solely for the band but a lot would have been there anyway and a lot more would have ventured elsewhere if there had been a cover charge.

Advertisement