Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare on a 457

Options
  • 23-05-2013 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Simple question- can you get a medicare card on a 457?

I know we have the reciprocal for hospitals but for a regular doc visit i'm out of pocket 60 bucks.

Have been told that if you are on a 457 you can apply but when i tried with medicare office today i was told not entitled and given some fact sheet.

Said it was only people from Northern Ireland who are entitled to apply

anyone have any answers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

coldpaw wrote: »

I know we have the reciprocal for hospitals but for a regular doc visit i'm out of pocket 60 bucks.

Have been told that if you are on a 457 you can apply but when i tried with medicare office today i was told not entitled and given some fact sheet.

anyone have any answers?

The answer to your question is no. You are not entitled to Medicare on a 457

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

anyone have any answers?

As posted above no is the answer, Irish (Republic) cannot get a medicare card; we have a reciprocal agreement with Australia instead. You pay for a GP in Ireland so you must do the same here. However it is free if you go into the emergency dep at a hospital and show id / passport. May be an overkill but I went in once with some sand in my eye (worse than it sounds though). Said it wasn't urgent and happy to wait. After about 2hrs I was seen and got treated. Just a junior doc but very good and all free.

As soon as you have a valid application for PR you can get an interim medicare card and are eligible for services. If approved you will automatically get a permanent medicare card.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who told you that?
    Medicare depends on your residency/citizenship, ROI resident doesn't get medicare. 457 (or any other temp visa) doesn't change your residency status so you don't get anything extra
    North Ireland = UK resident, so they are entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

Thanks for the resposnes. I was actually told in a GPs office that I could be entitled to it thats why I tried but turns out not. The free hospital care is great but thought I might be entitled to even more- nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Advertisement