Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the new gen affects the IFGC

Options
  • 23-05-2013 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

Enough details are emerging now that it seemed like it was worth a topic.

All that I can say for certain about the new gen is that it seems like it's going to be expensive for replacing stuff.
    • No old controllers will work on the Xbox Juan, this seems almost guaranteed to affect fightsticks

• PS4 won't support dual shock 3, but that's a wireless controller, so I dunno how that will affect USB fightsticks

• One for the streamers/uploaders
      @TheXboxOne: #XboxOne does not have a standard definition video output for either composite video or component video.
    • Juan DRM/Anti-2nd hand technology to potentially make disc swapping at tournaments a pain (unconfirmed rumour)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Enough details are emerging now that it seemed like it was worth a topic.

All that I can say for certain about the new gen is that it seems like it's going to be expensive for replacing stuff.

I think the wired sticks might be compatible with USB 3.0.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

[*] One for the streamers/uploaders
    [/LIST]

Good thing I just upgraded to be able to record encrypted HDMI signals!

For other people wondering, at present it looks like you will need to either get a device like a Hauppauge HD PVR2 or Avermedia LGP with HDMI, and possibly get a HDCP stripper like myself (best solution, imo) or you will need to buy a HDMI to component converter (Iv'e a couple of them too).

Either way if you want to do it right, you need to get a HDMI splitter too to ensure no frames are lost in the conversion.

Next gen recording looks a little awkward so far but entirely possible.

The stick situation is another matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

Good thing there likely won't be a top-level fighting game around for a long while, so we don't need everything by launch.

Wouldn't be too sure about that, PS2 launched with EX3, Sony wheeled out Ono and the Vita's making a big thing about SFxT et al. You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think the wired sticks might be compatible with USB 3.0.
    All sticks don't need anything faster than USB 2.0

The problem we saw with the Xbox 360 was that it had an additional encryption chip (which wasn't decrypted until 4 years after launch). This increases cost for legit peripheral manufacturers (e.g. MadCatz) as they have to pay Microsoft for a license for these chips & have to incorporate them into their PCB design.

PS3 was nice in that it accepted even the simplest USB HID device (even cheap USB Saturn pads & converters), though whether that will be the case with PS4 is still unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'm desperately hoping no remotely decent fighters are released on next-gen for quite some time because I have no desire to own any of that junk.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    All sticks don't need anything faster than USB 2.0

The problem we saw with the Xbox 360 was that it had an additional encryption chip (which wasn't decrypted until 4 years after launch). This increases cost for legit peripheral manufacturers (e.g. MadCatz) as they have to pay Microsoft for a license for these chips & have to incorporate them into their PCB design.

PS3 was nice in that it accepted even the simplest USB HID device (even cheap USB Saturn pads & converters), though whether that will be the case with PS4 is still unknown.

Perhaps the workaround people used to have with connecting a 360 pad with a stick will work on the One. You never know.

As mentioned elsewhere, not currently massively enthused by either of the consoles yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'd be more concerned about this used games deal that the Xbox One apparently has going on. This could make disc swapping during tournaments an unnecessarily awkward situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

deathrider wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about this used games deal that the Xbox One apparently has going on. This could make disc swapping during tournaments an unnecessarily awkward situation.

or even how that the console must connect to internet at least once in every 24 hours for console to function thing works,
    what if its more than once and it decides it needs to connect to internet and were at a venue with no internet during a game

also like been mentioned, hope stick players wont get ****ed over and there stuff will still work on both consoles

or even how that the console must connect to internet at least once in every 24 hours for console to function thing works,
    what if its more than once and it decides it needs to connect to internet and were at a venue with no internet during a game
    Then I advocate to NOT RUN tournaments on Xbox One.
    It's pretty clear Microsoft don't want us to leave our home TV.
    also like been mentioned, hope stick players wont get ****ed over and there stuff will still work on both consoles
    It didn't happen for the first 4 years of this generation, and I predict Microsoft will screw everyone over once again.

• Advertisement

We're discussing without facts tbh.

Spade a spade, MS have messed up badly. There's rumours and half truths everywhere. They shouldn't have said anything about the DRM until they were ready to say it all.

As it stands, PS4 looks like it has to be the tournament standard, but I wouldn't be suprised if Ms say it's all been a misunderstanding and ease up on the DRM. Sure they can just pass the buck for that onto the game companies themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

...... Sure they can just pass the buck for that onto the game companies themselves.

My guess is that is exactly what they will do, and the DRM stuff is provided as a tool within the API for Xbox Juan so that they can charge % for the facility for the publisher.

All speculation at this point.

TV, TV xbox TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Fair point. I'll add to the main post.

I'd be really annoyed as well if all my XBLA games weren't available on the Juan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Every xbox one game will have to be installed and is then licensed to that profile and to that profile ONLY. If you put the disc into another machine you have to pay a fee and also install it again. Plus the machine will have to connect to live once a day like letters said AND the new kinect will have to be plugged in for the machine to even function.

Now Sony haven't said anything about always online but they will have a similar used games system in place; you can bet the farm on that.

They're all trying to emulate the Steam model IMO. What I predict for fighting games is that you'll be given an option to buy multiple digital copies of the game to send to friends. This is what you can do for SFIV currently on Steam right? Then just install those copies all on separate machines. Or I suppose you could just have one or two discs and pay the fee each time.

At the end of the day its just going to be a lot harder for you guys to run a tournament. Ye're all going to have to switch over to having Madden tournaments or something. Microsoft won't be able to do enough for ye then! :pac:
    Fair point. I'll add to the main post.

I'd be really annoyed as well if all my XBLA games weren't available on the Juan.

Oh yes that's another thing. NO backwards compatibility and NO current XBLA games will carry over either.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Oh yes that's another thing. NO backwards compatibility and NO current XBLA games will carry over either.

I only just got bloody Skullgirls ;_;

Every xbox one game will have to be installed and is then licensed to that profile and to that profile ONLY. If you put the disc into another machine you have to pay a fee and also install it again. Plus the machine will have to connect to live once a day like letters said AND the new kinect will have to be plugged in for the machine to even function.

Now Sony haven't said anything about always online but they will have a similar used games system in place; you can bet the farm on that.

They're all trying to emulate the Steam model IMO. What I predict for fighting games is that you'll be given an option to buy multiple digital copies of the game to send to friends. This is what you can do for SFIV currently on Steam right? Then just install those copies all on separate machines. Or I suppose you could just have one or two discs and pay the fee each time.

At the end of the day its just going to be a lot harder for you guys to run a tournament. Ye're all going to have to switch over to having Madden tournaments or something. Microsoft won't be able to do enough for ye then! :pac:

I'd say it's too early to say any of this is set in stone. There's already been contradicting information sent out from Xbox's twitter account. I'd say there's bedlam in their office right now, but rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I'd say it's too early to say any of this is set in stone.

Its all been pretty much confirmed. I could link all the quotes/articles but I don't have that long left in my lunch break!

Sony haven't confirmed it but they keep dodging the question which is as good as a yes. I mean, if M$ do it then they can't not do it right?

Sony haven't confirmed it but they keep dodging the question which is as good as a yes. I mean, if M$ do it then they can't not do it right?

It would seem likely to me that the move against pre-owned is coming from the publishers/developers, pretty much solely to counter Gamestop.

It also doesn't seem likely MS would do this off their own back and generate a crap ton of poor community sentiment, unless they and Sony had been obliged to both do it.

That's just my take though, assuming all our worst DRM nightmares are true.

Its all been pretty much confirmed. I could link all the quotes/articles but I don't have that long left in my lunch break!

Yes, but then a load of conflicting information got released.

I'm just saying there's no point in losing our heads until it's properly confirmed.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

From what I've read on the Xbox One.

Games will be tired to a users live account via the use of a CD Key like its currently done on PC. So you can use a disc in another Xbox One so log as your logged into a live account that the game is connected too. If your using a different account a fee must be payed to use it, which Microsoft have indicated will be the full cost of the game if its a new release title.

Whats yet to be clarified is the method on which you can sell your games second hand. Microsoft have said this will be facilitated but have not yet given specifics.

If there is a major fighting game release in the next year or so, I'd imagine it will still appear on the Xbox 360 and PS3 as the market for those will be far to big to ignore. It just won't look as pretty as the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Peripherals and streaming setups all work on PC. I'm hoping the gaming community backlash against the next gen consoles will force more devs to work on the PC platform but it's all too early to tell.

i very much doubt Sony will adopt a similar strategy to Microsoft; they've been on a pretty pro-developer strategy recently - courting indies who have straight-up said that DRM is useless.
    [...]
    The Steam model is more akin to just buying a few copies of the same game for a slightly discounted price; there's nothing in their clause that lets you play the same license on multiple machines concurrently (but you CAN play it on multiple machines if they're permanently offline).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

I'll say one thing that's fairly solidly set in stone after the press conference. The thing looks MASSIVE. Having to physically cart that to tournaments will be a pain, especially if, as is also rumour but a fairly solid one, it must have the kinect attached to work. If that turns out to be the case then I cannot see the tournament scene supporting it. Previous posters are right, they absolutely do NOT want you taking the thing with you anywhere. Once its set up in your living room it should never need to be moved. That's going to lose them more than just the FGC, any gaming genre that has regular tournaments or LAN parties will be pretty disenchanted with them.

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry did a speculative analysis for the possible specs of the Xbox One vs PS4 - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one - and it's looking like everyone won't be complaining about lag on Sony machines anymore...

The PS3 was actually a spectacular machine from a hardware perspective, it was just incredibly difficult to program for (at least that's my understanding; in my University there were PhD Computer Science students working with it doing research on parallel processing). Sony's hardware is usually very good and at least in terms of the marketing, they seem to be making real effort to make it more generic and easier to use.

However, cost-to-performance, I would still say that both are outmatched by entry level PCs, so it's down to the software and whether you're willing to pay an extra £100 or so not to have to learn to use a screwdriver.

Kanped wrote: »
    The PS3 was actually a spectacular machine from a hardware perspective, it was just incredibly difficult to program for (at least that's my understanding; in my University there were PhD Computer Science students working with it doing research on parallel processing). Sony's hardware is usually very good and at least in terms of the marketing, they seem to be making real effort to make it more generic and easier to use.

However, cost-to-performance, I would still say that both are outmatched by entry level PCs, so it's down to the software and whether you're willing to pay an extra £100 or so not to have to learn to use a screwdriver.
    A comparable games PC with peripherals & operating system usually has a bigger premium than €100...

You're right, actually. I went and spec'd it out and for a worthwhile gaming PC (which should be much more powerful than the consoles BTW), I'd recommend a budget of at least £450, which is a wee bit more than what the consoles will cost (Xbox One £399 according to Zavvi). Personally, I think it's worth it for the other benefits, and most people will have a PC of some sort, anyway, so may as well get a good one and kill 2 birds with one stone but yeah, it's not as one-sided as I thought.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Kanped wrote:

I doubt entry level PC's will match the cost to performance ratio of the new consoles, particular the PS4. Looking at the specs of the PS4, and given the efficiency advantages consoles tend to have over PC, I wouldn't be surprised if can at least for there first year or two after release compete with mid end and lower tiered high end PC's.
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    A comparable games PC with peripherals & operating system usually has a bigger premium than €100...

He mean't the cost difference of buying a PC new and custom building it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Kanped wrote: »
    You're right, actually. I went and spec'd it out and for a worthwhile gaming PC (which should be much more powerful than the consoles BTW), I'd recommend a budget of at least £450, which is a wee bit more than what the consoles will cost (Xbox One £399 according to Zavvi). Personally, I think it's worth it for the other benefits, and most people will have a PC of some sort, anyway, so may as well get a good one and kill 2 birds with one stone but yeah, it's not as one-sided as I thought.

That's great and all, but unfortunately I can't imagine it helping us with the running of tournaments. I think we might be spiralling off topic a bit, lads.

• Advertisement

Well, I was thinking that small form factor PCs may be a viable alternative to next gen consoles but we don't have enough to go on yet.

Advertisement