Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the new gen affects the IFGC

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Even small form factor PC's like shuttles would be considerably larger and heavier to transport than the Xbox One and I would presume the PS4 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I have a mini atx pc. Its still pretty big compared to a console

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Mini ITX or 19" rackmount PCs would be portable enough but that opens up a whole other load of problems. There's also the Piston but it's kinda underpowered and really overpriced. Probably a bad idea, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

So the main points about the XBone that might cause issues for tournaments we've seen so far are:

-The XboxOne is very large. It also requires a Kinect to be attached to use.

-Current gen peripherals will not work with the XboxOne.

-XboxOne is not backwards compatible for digital or physical games.

-XboxOne does not have a standard definition video output for either composite video or component video. (Sorry, Chunkis, no more CRTs)

-All games require an installation on consoles for use. Games can be played while they're installing but specifics of this have not been outlined.

-Conflicting reports say games are locked to profiles once they're installed.

-Conflicting reports say the XboxOne needs to be connected to the internet at least once a day. The penalty for not connecting has not been announced and Microsoft specifically countered the 24 hours announcement by saying they didn't have a set time frame yet.

Sairus wrote:
    -Conflicting reports say games are locked to profiles once they're installed.

-Conflicting reports say the XboxOne needs to be connected to the internet at least once a day. The penalty for not connecting has not been announced and Microsoft specifically countered the 24 hours announcement by saying they didn't have a set time frame yet.

I think both points have been clarified already.

Games will be tied to a players account and will only work on another Xbox One if you log in on the account the game is tied too.

Single player games will work offline (and I assume so would local multiplayer). A internet connection may be required to install the game but after that single player should work fine even without an internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Azza wrote: »
    I think both points have been clarified already.

Games will be tied to a players account and will only work on another Xbox One if you log in on the account the game is tied too.

Single player games will work offline (and I assume so would local multiplayer). A internet connection may be required to install the game but after that single player should work fine even without an internet connection.

As far as tournaments go, that means the organisers will not only need multiple consoles and multiple game copies, but they'll also need an additional profile and save state for each, depending on how much unlockable content or DLC is necessary to host the complete game at the tournament. There's no denying it looks messy as things stand right now.

Looks like the Playstation 4 will be the way to go for running tournaments if we have to use one of the next generation console. But this is probably a problem a year or two away from affecting us. I'd imagine for at least the next two years any major fighting game that's released on the next generation consoles will be also be released on the current generation. Between them the Xbox 360 and PS3 have sold around 150 million units, that's far to big a market to walk away from in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Azza wrote: »
    Looks like the Playstation 4 will the way to go for running tournaments if we have to use one of the next generation console.

Thats if PS4 dont do the same thing. I cant see one console doing this and the other not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

bush wrote: »
    Thats if PS4 dont do the same thing. I cant see one console doing this and the other not.

You never know, they might be watching the commotion and considering things. All they have to do to win as it stands right now is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well as I posted earlier, Sony are actively courting small developers while Microsoft are rejecting anyone without a publisher.

Plus if you want a current-gen example: Microsoft charge for software patches, Sony do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

It's a pretty big deal, but on the other hand one console requires a monthly subscription to play online and the other doesn't. That's just as insane a discrepancy as one console allowing second hand games and the other not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Sairus wrote: »
    It's a pretty big deal, but on the other hand one console requires a monthly subscription to play online and the other doesn't. That's just as insane a discrepancy as one console allowing second hand games and the other not.

Yeah but the publishers don't care if people pay for an online service or not; just so long as people are paying them to play their games. Right now you have to pay for an online pass with some second hand games whether you're on PSN or Xbox. You think Sony have a say in any of that? F**k no, they'll toe the line.

Sony would be in very hot water with some powerful companies if they decided to allow a second hand market. I'd be stunned if they take such a big chance. We might see certain digital only releases or companies might just boycott the system altogether.

At the end of the day, its all about dat paper yo! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So it has been confirmed by Microsoft that the Kinect does need to be attached to the console at all times. (Still no confirmation if it needs to be configured)

It has also been confirmed that it needs to be connected online every twenty-four hours and if it is not connected, you can no longer play games until it is, even games you purchased on disk.

Pretty much rules out the X1 for any tournaments longer than a day.

Hopefully Sony won't go ham with their DRM policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

cv0107.jpg

E3 starts at 5:30pm today. Maybe we'll get some good news for a change. Or maybe we'll be further subjected to more poorly thought-out digital rights campaigning.

As a small aside, lot of Killer Instinct rumours still out there. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Hope so. That IP's been unused for too long. Personally, all I really want to see this 'surprise' from Capcom - would love for it to be Darkstalkers or Mega Man, but I'm not optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

all I really want to see this 'surprise' from Capcom - would love for it to be Darkstalkers or Mega Man, but I'm not optimistic.

Could be RE7 which leaked a couple weeks ago.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Could be RE7 which leaked a couple weeks ago.
    They'd want to check their definition of 'surprise' then, because Resident Evil doesn't even come close to qualifying - not when there has literally been at least one market release or re-release annually for the past 17 years. That's like being shocked at there being a new FIFA every year.

I saw what I actually think is a leaked list that included this fabled new Vs game that doesn't involve Marvel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

hakan vs the world

Where'd you spot that, Doom?

Where'd you spot that, Doom?

I actually can't find it anymore, which should give some indication as to how seriously it should be taken.

EDIT:

Here's a similar post.

http://popculturemonster.com/games/leaked-e3-slate-reveals-upcoming-xbox-one-titles/

I actually can't find it anymore, which should give some indication as to how seriously it should be taken.

EDIT:

Here's a similar post.

http://popculturemonster.com/games/leaked-e3-slate-reveals-upcoming-xbox-one-titles/

Darkstalkers Reborn is WiiU exclusive? I hope to God that isn't true. Fastest way to kill the game's chance at success.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

Darkstalkers Reborn is WiiU exclusive? I hope to God that isn't true. Fastest way to kill the game's chance at success.
    No, the fastest way would be to be to make it an XBone exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

ULTRAAA COMBOOO!!!

A new Killer Instinct just got announced during the Microsoft E3 press conference as a Xbox One exclusive. The rumours were true. It's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

An new sticks too by the looks of it. I think they said they'll be up for grabs at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

deathrider wrote: »
    An new sticks too by the looks of it. I think they said they'll be up for grabs at launch.

damn,so my qanba wont work then.
    heres hoping still works on the ps3 i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

damn,so my qanba wont work then.
    heres hoping still works on the ps3 i guess

So far it's looking like zero gear from the current gen will work on the next. right own to joypads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

deathrider wrote: »
    So far it's looking like zero gear from the current gen will work on the next. right own to joypads.
    I'm pretty sure some devs have said they think PS3 stuff works on their PS4 devkits.

Advertisement