Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the new gen affects the IFGC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm no fanboy but I think it's looking like we'll be PS4 right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Yeah I think the question of "How the new gen affects the IFGC" can be answered pretty conclusively with "We'll all be playing on PS4"

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Nevflinn wrote: »
    No, the fastest way would be to be to make it an XBone exclusive.

People are going to buy Xbox One all the same. Just you watch. Meanwhile, any game that has the slightest intention of having a competitive community should avoid the Wii U like the plague. If Darkstalkers Reborn is exclusively on the Wii U, we can say goodbye to any chance of ever seeing it in MLG, however unlikely that would have been regardless.

In other news, PS4 now requires subscription for online play. How do you like 'em now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I'm no fanboy but I think it's looking like we'll be PS4 right now...

Fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

In other news, PS4 now requires subscription for online play. How do you like 'em now?

yea but the price difference between the two consoles will pay for 2 years worth of psn+ so thats not so bad.

i like to know if ps4's will play on crt's that the xboxone wont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

yea but the price difference between the two consoles will pay for 2 years worth of psn+ so thats not so bad.

i like to know if ps4's will play on crt's that the xboxone wont

It ships with a HDMI cable in the box, so doubtful.

bush wrote: »
    Fanboy

Xbox one looks poo

It ships with a HDMI cable in the box, so doubtful.

dang :(

also just seen this on twitter,lmfao.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I've said it before but Killer Instinct is like the worst game I've ever loved. Great childhood memories, but it doesn't hold up at all.

I missed the Sony conference last night, but I did get this e-mail from Microsoft.
    Given the general reception of both conferences, you can definitely read this with a darkly comedic tone:

Xboneavailability_zps380cb4f1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Seems like I'll be getting a PS4 whenever I go home then.

In all seriousness though, the train wreck MS has pulled with the Xbone has made the infamous E3 PS3 conference look good in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

deathrider wrote: »
    So far it's looking like zero gear from the current gen will work on the next. right own to joypads.

There's no reason for them not to work other than hawking new peripherals that do the same thing. They're USB i.e. universal. At worst, it would require writing new drivers for the new system but they probably wouldn't even have to do that.

Kanped wrote: »
    There's no reason for them not to work other than hawking new peripherals that do the same thing. They're USB i.e. universal. At worst, it would require writing new drivers for the new system but they probably wouldn't even have to do that.

Current gen Xbox controllers also use USB in their wired iterations, and those have been explicitly stated to be incompatible, so I doubt it's that simple.

They're only incompatible because they haven't written the drivers. Signal goes in, drivers turn it into instructions. It IS that simple.

Unless they have gotten rid of USB, in which case it's all wireless and then you won't be playing fighting games on in, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They're only incompatible because they haven't written the drivers. Signal goes in, drivers turn it into instructions. It IS that simple.

Unless they have gotten rid of USB, in which case it's all wireless and then you won't be playing fighting games on in, anyway.
    Xbox 360 controllers all have an ARM chip for authentication, which prevented the manufacture of cheap 3rd-party pads for years unless you liked passing-on a licensing fee to your consumers for every pad/stick made.

This chip was broken 4-5yrs into the life of the console, so it seems like MS are using a new chip this time around.

Ah, well fair enough but it's still just MS deliberately making them incompatible purely to sell new peripherals.

Best argument against always-on DRM that I've seen so far:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1g6afz/to_those_of_you_defending_the_xbox_one_24_hour/
    I've seen a lot of these types of comments peppered throughout the PS4 support threads. While it is true that the PS4 has flooded this subreddit for the last 24 hours or so, it is not without good reason. At the end of the day, those of us who were ready to boycott the Xbone over its policies were ready to do the same to Sony if they followed suit. That would have effectively meant that our only source of gaming would be from the Wii U (which, although it has potential, has a very limited catalogue at the moment) or gaming PCs (which pose many similar DRM And online restrictions). But Sony has shown that, if nothing else, they value our rights as consumers.

Yes, there are people who do not have access to stable Internet, but that isn't the main complaint or concern here. The 24 hour check-in, aside from enforcing the previously unheard-of used game rules (seriously - thirty years of game consoles and all of a sudden we are supposed to believe that we aren't entitled to OWN the product we purchased? That its just a license to access the software? Please - that's a flimsy excuse at best), also gives Microsoft the ability to decide FOR YOU when your Xbox One has reached the end of its life cycle.

I am a game collector. I still have every console I've bought in working condition, or at least some version of it (sold my Gamecube because the Wii plays those games). Up until this point, when I bought a game it was mine to play whenever I wanted however I wanted as long as I wanted. I could take it to a friends house and have gaming parties (we used to do this a lot with Mario Party and WWE titles). And I could give out games to friends that I wasn't playing at that time so that they could enjoy them too. None of this hurt the gaming industry - if it did, the industry couldn't have grown to the point it is at now.

The Xbone, however, craps all over those pastimes. Aside from the once-every-24-hour online requirements, the selling/trading game scheme is nothing but a ridiculous hassle designed by money-hungry publishers looking to for double-dip income on a single game. It's a complete contradiction of the First Sale Doctrine, and they try to justify this by saying they aren't selling a disc, they're selling the license to use the software. Really?? Why was this never an issue before?

The greater concern I have, however, is the longevity of the console. Again, I'm a collector - and there are LOTS of us out here. We're the ones who want backward compatibility because we want to be able to use newer systems to play older games if/when our old hardware finally gives out. Right now, I can still plug in my old NES and enjoy an afternoon playing classics like Mega Man 2, Castlevania, and many others. I fear - no, I know that the Xbone won't provide that same luxury years down the road.

Go grab Halo 2 and try to get an online game going. In fact, try playing any original Xbox game online today. You can't - MS shut down the Live service on that console. No big deal, though - I can still play my single player games. But on the Xbone, you need the online functionality to play single player games. That's going to require servers for the Xbones people buy to be able to log into on a daily basis. And as we've seen time and time again with Microsoft - and not just with Live on the first Xbox - once they decide a product's life-cycle has ended, they shut it down. That means that it's perfectly reasonable to believe Microsoft will shut down Xbone service sometime during the following generation of consoles. And all of a sudden that console and all the games I invested hard-earned money in is completely useless. Then, of course, MS will proudly proclaim that I can still play my Xbone games by purchasing them AGAIN in digital format from the Live Arcade.

I'm not doing business with a company like that. Their number #1 priority isn't making good games or solid hardware, it's making money. And that's fine, if that's what they're going for. But I'll have no part of it, because previous console makers such as Nintendo, Sega, and Sony were in it for the money, too - and they were able to make that cash without boning (or X-boning) the consumer.

Oh, and the whole Kinect always-connected requirement freaks me out, too. Besides, I have less than zero interest in voice commanding my console.

TL:DR; Microsoft is giving themselves the ability to decide FOR YOU when the Xbone life-cycle ends, thus bricking your unit while "encouraging" you to shell out the cash for the following generation.

daaaaaaaaaaaamn microsoft....

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

daaaaaaaaaaaamn microsoft....

We have a console for offline play.

It's called PS4..

Madcatz have said THEIR sticks won't work on PS4.

I wonder will Qanbas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Madcatz have said THEIR sticks won't work on PS4.

I wonder will Qanbas.

It really does not make sense for them to work from a business perspective. I know its a pain, but if a companies business is peripherals...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Is my Xbox TE modified with a PS360 PCB still technically a madcatz stick?

I was hoping I could run it on a PS4 in PS3 mode.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    It really does not make sense for them to work from a business perspective. I know its a pain, but if a companies business is peripherals...........

Part of the selling point of the PS3 and MAYBE the PS4 is that they can use generic USB devices. Some sticks have a PC mode, so I assume they fall under that remit.
    Is my Xbox TE modified with a PS360 PCB still technically a madcatz stick?

I was hoping I could run it on a PS4 in PS3 mode.

No idea. TBH I don't even think Madcatz really know.

Part of the selling point of the PS3 and MAYBE the PS4 is that they can use generic USB devices. Some sticks have a PC mode, so I assume they fall under that remit.

If this holds, then there's a good chance our Qanbas will work on PS4. Guess only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I'm not talking about Sony. For me, it makes no sense that for circa 10 year cycle console platform, the peripherals work across the gens - for companies like Madcatz, Quanba etc anyway.

Did ps2 peripherals work with Ps3? Genuine question, I never had either.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    I'm not talking about Sony. For me, it makes no sense that for circa 10 year cycle console platform, the peripherals work across the gens - for companies like Madcatz, Quanba etc anyway.

Did ps2 peripherals work with Ps3? Genuine question, I never had either.

No but we're arguing different points. Of course it makes sense for a company to generate attachment sales for any product, especially ones that can have a rate or one or 2 items a year like games, and of course planned obsolescence makes sense too for the peripheral makers.

PC peripherals work on the PS3- my Qanba, I think, has a PC specific mode. If they're still trying to push the "open" aspect of the platform it may well still work on the PS4- and the devs have indicated it may be so.

USB is a standard format that all the sticks now use. Personally, I think the onus should be on the manufacturers to sell new products by making them better than what's come before, not sticking a new authenticating chip in it or changing the connection on the end of the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

USB is a standard format that all the sticks now use. Personally, I think the onus should be on the manufacturers to sell new products by making them better than what's come before, not sticking a new authenticating chip in it or changing the connection on the end of the lead.
    The problem is where do you go from a TE? It's an utterly solid stick. Anything better than it is basically just icing.

Apparently the new TE2s are really nice with great modding/customization options, but I don't particularly care about that and would happy to use a TE for 20 years if the parts didn't wear out.

Sairus wrote: »
    The problem is where do you go from a TE? It's an utterly solid stick. Anything better than it is basically just icing.

Apparently the new TE2s are really nice with great modding/customization options, but I don't particularly care about that and would happy to use a TE for 20 years if the parts didn't wear out.

Same here. I don't see 6-8 button sticks getting any better than they already are design-wise. The only thing that changes across generations is system compatibility. My Qanba does everything I need it to, it's extremely comfortable, and I can replace parts as needed. I'd rather keep using it if possible than have to buy a completely new stick solely to be able to play on a newer console.

• Advertisement

Which is why they sold so well. They've made their money from that design already; innovate. If you've nothing more to offer then don't.

Advertisement