Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the new gen affects the IFGC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Looks like I'll be forking out for a new stick so for the new gen, I only own a 360 stick :/

But if PS3 sticks work on PS4, how will Madcatz etc sell sticks now? People will just buy PS3 sticks (which will probably be way way cheaper by the time the PS4 drops) and use them on the PS4 right? Where can Madcatz and other retailers go from here? What innovations or features/upgrades can they offer if PS3 sticks work on the PS4? From a business point of view it makes no sense to let PS3 sticks work on PS4, but rather to develop some new standard that only PS4 peripherals work on PS4, I'm just on tenterhooks waiting to see what happens, I have to buy a new stick regardless as my current 360 stick will be useless for the next gen, given PS4 is going to be tournament standard (and afaik MS are not allowing 360 peripherals to work on Xbox One).

Sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The new Madcatz Killer Instinct stick looks very nice:
    Mad-Catz-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-2-E3-03.jpg

Similar to the recently-launched (Xbox 360-only) Razer Atrox, it has a latched hinge to flip up the main control panel.
    I imagine Madcatz will keep this design a time-limited exclusive to Xbox One, and then give it a new paintjob and release on PS4 down the line (maybe even for Guilty Gear Xrd?).

As for already-modded sticks:

Assuming the PS4 does not implement a hardware lock-out chip like the Xbox 360 ( and likely the Xbox One) and sticks to USB-HID device support, then PS3 controllers will work natively (hopefully).

Alternatively, it MAY* be possible to upgrade the firmware on sticks that use the MC Cthulhu or PS360+ board.

(*n.b. boards with regular Cthulhu, ChImp, first-gen PS360 or any other PCB can NOT have their firmware flashed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Vewlix layout is still yuck! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The new Madcatz Killer Instinct stick looks very nice:
    Mad-Catz-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-2-E3-03.jpg
    That colour scheme is very Tekken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

deathrider wrote: »
    That colour scheme is very Tekken.

burn it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

At this stage, I'm just gonna wait until SONY confirm compatibility.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    At this stage, I'm just gonna wait until SONY confirm compatibility.

oie_1502914BoTJrt4j_zpsd46e3166.gif?t=1371249174

All according to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Mandatory kinect is still a non starter for me but its a win none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I am still as surprised that MS announced all this and Sony didn't, as I am by the sudden backpedal.

I find it hard to believe that any of this happened at all...

9db.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Mandatory kinect is still a non starter for me but its a win none the less.

Well, this seems much more reasonable to me. I still can't see me buying a one at 500 quid, so it doesn't make much of a difference, but at least tournaments CAN happen on one now.

This opens a whole new can of worms. Chances are tournaments will be running different games accordingly now, like they do with the current gen- MK on Playstation, SF on Xbox, and so on. I guess we'll have to see what plays best on what... Also, see if either console flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Aye, the extra €100 price tag is pretty much the only major difference now (plus Kinect and fewer downloadable titles from the stricter publisher requirements maybe), so I can see tournaments being run on both in the future.

I'm still likely to not get either at launch, but I've switched from "I am not even considering getting one of these" to "I might get one when Halo 5 is released"

Hope this is a permanent deal

Terms and conditions subject to change

cv0111.jpg

Nutrient wrote: »
    Hope this is a permanent deal

Terms and conditions subject to change

Wouldn't surprise me one bit of they turned on their heels again. One of my mates summed it up great, I reckon. He said that they'll still do exactly what they were going to do, it'll just take them longer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Knowing them, it's very possible that they might integrate the Big Brother aspects at some point in the console's life cycle, when they'll have by the balls anyone who already owns one.

It'd be a hella dickish move, but then again: Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Big Brother is defeated by a square inch of duct tape, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

True, but the DRM is a different matter.

• Advertisement

Kanped wrote: »
    Big Brother is defeated by a square inch of duct tape, in fairness.

Hardly the point. IMHO, its an invasion of privacy. Not to mention the good ole NSA can pretty much have access upon request. But leaving the tin foil hats at the door, there is no reason to bundle kinect with console. It services one vertical, not all. The only reason I can see is so that the price point could be 'justifiably' set at 500 squids.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Yeah, I agree; not planning on getting one until there's a severe price drop and the Kinect isn't bundled and is optional, otherwise I'd be opening the bastard up and disconnecting the camera and mic for the PCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Kinect being bundled is there so developers can put use Kinect features and not have to worry about finding a work around for users without one.

PPC wrote: »
    Kinect being bundled is there so developers can put use Kinect features and not have to worry about finding a work around for users without one.

granted. still one vertical though i.e. games with motion sensor crap - which is teenage girls playing "dance off 548" or similar.

Maybe that market is alot bigger than the actual gamer one....... I didn't think so but....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭SuperChar

Thank God I play Smash Bros

SuperChar wrote: »
    Thank God I play Smash Bros

Said no-one ev-

Wait what?

Do a lot of current Smash players own Wii U-s?

Do gamecube controllers work on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭SuperChar

No it's just that the next Smash Bros game is out soon and the Pro Controller on the Wii-U is quite comfortable so i was just saying that i didn't have to deal with all the crap the xbox players have to put up with.And I'm probably going to start playing street fighter

No it's just that the next Smash Bros game is out soon and the Pro Controller on the Wii-U is quite comfortable so i was just saying that i didn't have to deal with all the crap the xbox players have to put up with.And I'm probably going to start playing street fighter

Ah yeah, fair point.

The thing that gets me about the classic controller is that the face buttons are rotated 90 degrees, so everything isn't exactly where it should be.

If I was relearning Smash on a completely different controller, I feel like I'd have an easier time than something that is ALMOST exactly the same just slightly different.

I'm guaranteed to pick it up on the 3DS (I wonder will it use Circle Pad Pro?) but Nintendo have yet to sell me a Wii U.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, fair point.

The thing that gets me about the classic controller is that the face buttons are rotated 90 degrees, so everything isn't exactly where it should be.

If I was relearning Smash on a completely different controller, I feel like I'd have an easier time than something that is ALMOST exactly the same just slightly different. Jump where special move should be, special move where A should be. It's madness. My Smash muscle memory is too strong.

I'm guaranteed to pick it up on the 3DS (I wonder will it use Circle Pad Pro?) but Nintendo have yet to sell me a Wii U.

Advertisement