Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i catch my first tench? Grand Canal.

Options
  • 23-05-2013 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Can anybody help me locate and catch my first tench? I live in portlaoise and fish most weeks on the grand canal between rathangan and athy. We catch all the usual perch,roach, bream etc but never a tench. I have been told there are tench in the canal but i am of yet to catch one. Any suggestions??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I also hoped to target tench in the grand canal this year - in the Mullingar area. I'm a beginner when it comes to coarse fish but I saw no sign yet of any and the local tackle shops tell me the canal has in many places been emptied. So far this year I found lots of roach, some rudd & perch even the odd "jack" pike but not a sign of tench but if the canal was emptied then it might take longer for the tench to return!?

But... perhaps I'm being too pessimistic. The year has had a cold start and we seem to be running a month behind schedule on most other things. Maybe if the weather warms up later in the year things might improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I don't fish the grand canal much but I got a few tench in the Royal Canal last year. I was out this morning on the Royal canal and I saw tench bubbles in my swim for the first time this year. From talking to other anglers, they mentioned Robertstown as a good spot for tench on the Grand canal.

The best time to catch them is early in the morning or just before sunset. I have caught most of mine after 7pm on maggot or corn.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

croo wrote: »
    I also hoped to target tench in the grand canal this year - in the Mullingar area. I'm a beginner when it comes to coarse fish but I saw no sign yet of any and the local tackle shops tell me the canal has in many places been emptied. So far this year I found lots of roach, some rudd & perch even the odd "jack" pike but not a sign of tench but if the canal was emptied then it might take longer for the tench to return!?

But... perhaps I'm being too pessimistic. The year has had a cold start and we seem to be running a month behind schedule on most other things. Maybe if the weather warms up later in the year things might improve.

Yes I meant Royal Canal around Mullingar of course not Grand!

And over July, I can report that, I had some success and there are indeed still tench in the Royal. Over the long weekend just gone I've had my best yet - weighing in at 5lb 11oz (2.6kg) ... they are powerful fish indeed and catching them is a thrilling battle.

photos

Advertisement