Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Joel live at the 02 on November 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 codod

does anyone know where Billy and the band are staying in Dublin on Friday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a support act? Or where I might find out?

I'm heading to this on my own (spoilsport friends/family wouldn't come) and don't want to be hanging around for hours on my tod.... on the other hand, don't want to miss a potentially good first bit!

I found an answer to my own question :D

Apparently support act (no details of who that might be) on at 8, Billy Joel on at 8.30.

I've spent all night revising by playing every album I have of his.... cannot wait for tomorrow night!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

I've spent all night revising by playing every album I have of his:D

Love it, no better way to spend a night! Where did you hear of a support act?

Oh I see it on theo2.ie; Tom Odell

• Registered Users Posts: 33 johnnybegood

Hi All!

Got 3 free tickets to this tonight and am now looking for a 4th.......any ideas where I should focus my search?

Apologies if I am breaking rules posting a tickets related post.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Blitzer888 wrote: »
    Hi All!

Got 3 free tickets to this tonight and am now looking for a 4th.......any ideas where I should focus my search?

Apologies if I am breaking rules posting a tickets related post.

Toutless.ie, Donedeal.ie and Adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

chinguetti wrote: »
    Billy & Elton played together in Croker. Tour was called Piano Men and his voice was in bits. Pulled out of the UK leg of that tour as his voice went.

He's only played the RDS twice and Croker twice (one on his own and once with Elton John) if the memory's right.

Sadly won't be there tomorrow night, tickets out of my league.

Ah cheers for that , can you remember what year it was with Billy and Elton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Ah cheers for that , can you remember what year it was with Billy and Elton?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I rang the o2 and I understand the support could be on about 7.30 and Billy Joel around 8.30

just thought to pass on the detail as it is earlier than the times that I read on Aiken Promotions website.

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/1883-billy-joel-live-at-the-02-dublin-1st-november.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Have a great time everybody that's going tonight. I can't wait. The thought of more album tracks than greatest hits is really making me excited (I skipped previous setlists mentioned a few pages back as I want to be surprised but got the gist that they weren't the usual hits).

I rang the o2 and I understand the support could be on about 7.30 and Billy Joel around 8.30

just thought to pass on the detail as it is earlier than the times that I read on Aiken Promotions website.

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/1883-billy-joel-live-at-the-02-dublin-1st-november.html

Wow i didnt know Tom Odell was supporting def gonna try get into dublin earlier than i planned

• Advertisement

Wow i didnt know Tom Odell was supporting def gonna try get into dublin earlier than i planned

What class of music does he play? Never heard of him :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

I think its called whinge-rock :D

Meh. Don't think I'll be battering auld wans off the Luas in the rush to get to see him.

Meh. Don't think I'll be battering auld wans off the Luas in the rush to get to see him.

Should've stayed at home another while. Is it nearly over yet?

Well now, that was just BRILLIANT :D

What a voice!!! I had visions of a bit of a warble, and the audience carrying him the rest of the way - how wrong was I!!!

Did anyone get a list of what he played? Only 2 or 3 I didn't recognise, but I was too busy enjoying it to take note of all the hits he did play.

Great night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Amazing! I really wanted Miami 2017 though but amazing show nonetheless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Fab gig - well worth the buckaroos.

Does he not sing Saigon anymore at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

This may not be the exact order, but it's close enough:

Intro: Randy Newman; Prologue 1915-1923 from The Natural

My Life
    Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
    Everybody Loves You Now
    Where's the Orchestra?
    Allentown
    The Downeaster 'Alexa'
    Opus 10. Air "Dublinesque" (Excerpt)
    New York State of Mind
    The Great Wall of China
    Zanzibar
    Vienna
    Uptown Girl
    Big Girls Don't Cry (Impromptu)
    Don't Ask Me Why
    She's Always a Woman
    Blonde Over Blue
    Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
    River of Dreams
    Respect (Impromptu)
    Piano Man

Encore:
    We Didn't Start the Fire
    It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
    You May Be Right
    Only the Good Die Young

I'd have loved a few specific ones like Root Beer Rag, Summer, Highland Falls, Laura and All for Leyna, but I don't f***ing care. It was PHENOMENAL. Everybody Loves You Now, Don't Ask Me Why, ZANZIBAR. Amazing. The best time I've seen him.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

neemish wrote: »
    Fab gig - well worth the buckaroos.

Does he not sing Saigon anymore at all?

It was a LOT of buckaroos.... but like you say, well worth it.

I wondered about Saigon as well, and Innocent Man? And This Night.... not sure if Beethoven would allow the rights, but I'd really love to have heard it. Suspect that might be one that he only does with an orchestra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I suppose there are only so many songs you can fit into one concert. Was surprised he sang for so long - he looked wrecked by the end! And very heavy going on his voice

One song that was properly brilliant (and I'm not mad about it in real life) was River of Dreams. Class stuff!

One song that was properly brilliant (and I'm not mad about it in real life) was River of Dreams. Class stuff!

Off-topic: I love the alternate version on the My Lives box set, which has a real kick to it, with drums and electric rhythm guitar way up in mix. God knows why that didn't go on the album instead.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Off-topic: I love the alternate version on the My Lives box set, which has a real kick to it, with drums and electric rhythm guitar way up in mix. God knows why that didn't go on the album instead.

Is there a youtube version of that, or something? sounds great, I'd love to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Con41

Fantastic gig, his voice is still perfect. Great that he threw in a few different songs. And the O2 was perfect for the show. I've seen him in Croke Park and the RDS, indoors is so much better. Hopefully he'll come back here sooner rather than later.

Is there a youtube version of that, or something? sounds great, I'd love to hear it!

It doesn't seem to be on You Tube but I'm sure you could track it down somewhere to give it a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Con41 wrote: »
    Fantastic gig, his voice is still perfect. Great that he threw in a few different songs. And the O2 was perfect for the show. I've seen him in Croke Park and the RDS, indoors is so much better. Hopefully he'll come back here sooner rather than later.

Yeah,his voice is still as good as it ever was .
    I suppose he hasnt toured in 3 years so its strong unlike other artists who tour like crazy and sing every second night.
    Indoor gigs are >>> better than outdoors .Better sound ,better view,better lighting effects etc etc
    How long was he on stage for out of curiosity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

He went on about 8:55 and was fully finished about 10:45/10:50

Only got the last song and a half of Tom Odell and i thought he sounded great . Really enjoyed the gig (even though i was hungover from thursday night ha) . Also was i the only one kept thinging of this while he started singing Allentown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Con41

Does anyone know the classical music that was played before Billy entered the stage? It was also played before the Manchester gig. Wonder if it's one of his?

Advertisement