Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Fees

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Certain County Registrars have sets of scale costs, but these are neither publicly accessible nor very comprehensive.

It would clarify matters a good deal for lawyers, clients and insurance companies, if there were comprehensive, publicly accessible standard scales of costs, showing the amounts at which various matters would be likely to tax in respect of each court.

It might be interesting to see whether this would make sense, whether on a statutory basis or otherwise.

I realise that it would not deal with all of the matters raised here.

I agree. It also means that the blue chip company that wants to get the best solicitors and best barristers can be told that they are paid twice the scale because they are worth it, and the company can readily assess how much they will pay above and beyond any order for costs. Likewise the person of limited means can go to three or four different new start up firms of solicitors seeing if any are interested in doing a case for 50-75% of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

they are paid twice the scale because they are worth it

L'Oréal Lawyers :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

The problem isn't the solicitors

I agree with much of what you've said (especially that consumers are obliged to take care of themselves - the amount of "mammying" that goes on these days is ridiculous, and the abdication of responsibility by borrowers is a classic example of this)

...except the above, which is rather the point that I was making. I take it you're familiar with section 68 letters. I've seen a few, each one a joke.

The point I'm making is that if lawyers - as a group - don't take on the task of increasing clarity, then others will impose a "vote-getting" outcome which is neither helpful to the consumer nor fair to the lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Glad I not paying fees for this thread, emails have got so expensive

Advertisement