Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commute to Sandyford from D15

• 23-05-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm trying to calculate the cost of commuting to Sandyford in both time and monetary terms.

I would guess the journey would take an hour to get there, and an hour to return from the Laurel Lodge/Carpenterstown area?

In terms of money, Tolls would be 250 working days * €2.10 * 2 = €1050

I have no idea how much fuel would be? 100 euro a week perhaps = €5200!?!

Also, I haven't evaluated bus or rail routes.

Thanks!

David

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

At 40mpg you'd be looking at around €30/week fuel although let's say 35-40 to be on the conservative side. That's in the region €1800-2000 a year, so ~three grand a year total.

An annual DB ticket is €1120 which can be reduced further by the tax saver scheme. This has the disadvantage of probably at least doubling, and probably tripling, the length of the commute due to having to get to town first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Would you cycle? It's about 20km, less than an hour. Cheap, healthy but you'd def need a shower facility in work after that distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

second hand 125cc motorbike
    pay for itself in a year in the savings,
    no tolls
    cheaper at running cost for such a short journey
    30 min max journey time

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

djmarkus wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm trying to calculate the cost of commuting to Sandyford in both time and monetary terms.

I would guess the journey would take an hour to get there, and an hour to return from the Laurel Lodge/Carpenterstown area?

Thanks!

David

Depending on the time you're doing it, you'll do Blanch - Sandyford in about 20/25 mins by car.

As for fuel costs it would depend on what you're driving really. Certainly not enough to justify a diesel though - it may seem the cheaper option, but modern diesels are meant to be driven and not doing so (short urban/city journeys) may lead to expensive problems down the line.

I'd definitely do it by car though if you can. Public transport would be tortuous as already mentioned above - especially knowing how quickly you could do it by driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bear in mind for 3 months of the year, when the schools are off, its more feasible to go through town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

djmarkus wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks!

David

Depending on the time of the day you are travelling it would take 25 to 40 minutes by car.

Advertisement