Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed query!

• 23-05-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

How's it going Lads, I would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion on my query.
    I recently moved into a new apartment in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary and I rang Vodafone to find what broadband speeds I could get on my telephone landline. They said I could only get 1.5mbps download and 0.12mbps upload. If I wanted to stream movies from xbmc or YouTube or use Skype, would I struggle with those speeds? Anyone's opinion on this matter is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

You would struggle quite a bit ... I get 700Kb/s on a 7Mb line.. you will be lucky to get 100Kb/s

Edit:

you can get an estimate by dividing your line (1.5Mb = 1.572864) by 8..

so you could end up with nearly 200 kb/s down... It all depends on the quality of the stream.. but skyping would be trouble with the upload connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Munster D 187

gazzamc wrote: »
    You would struggle quite a bit ... I get 700Kb/s on a 7Mb line.. you will be lucky to get 100Kb/s

Edit:

you can get an estimate by dividing your line (1.5Mb = 1.572864) by 8..

so you could end up with nearly 200 kb/s down... It all depends on the quality of the stream.. but skyping would be trouble with the upload connection.
    thanks for that gazzmac, if I could get 1.5mbps download consistently, would that be sufficient for streaming movies?

thanks for that gazzmac, if I could get 1.5mbps download consistently, would that be sufficient for streaming movies?

You could stream but it wouldn't be HD.. If it netflix it usually adjusts it for your connection.

You could stream but it wouldn't be HD.. If it netflix it usually adjusts it for your connection.

I'd be using YouTube and Xbmc, icefilms service. Standard definition would be grand. I suppose downloading a movie would take forever?!

I'd be using YouTube and Xbmc, icefilms service. Standard definition would be grand. I suppose downloading a movie would take forever?!

If you let them buffer you should be grand... A movie of 700Mb would take a couple hours (at top speed)..

Youtube has a few options (resolutions) which would make it faster.

• Advertisement

If you let them buffer you should be grand... A movie of 700Mb would take a couple hours (at top speed)..

Youtube has a few options (resolutions) which would make it faster.
    thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it.

thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it.

No Worries..

Advertisement