Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting from JFK to EWR Airport (New York)

Options
  • 23-05-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

~First of all sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum~

Hey guys just wondering what the easiest way is to get form JFK to EWR my flight will be in to jfk at 11.25 and i leave ewr at 18.00 its 7 hours i no but by the time i clear immigration and get ewr the time will fly. been to New York as i child but that was years ago. so anyone no of the handiest way? or is it even possible in the time frame? Thanks:D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> what the easiest way is to get form JFK to EWR

Hire a limo. :)

You'll have loads of time to get from one airport to the other but it's not the easiest due to there being several changes to make if you take public transport. If you're out of JFK by 1.30pm then you can grab the train and be at EWR by 3pm. You can get a metro card at JFK that takes you the whole way to EWR.

A cab will set you back about $100 and takes about 35 mins.

I'm sure that there are shuttle buses that you can Google but I don't personally know of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

these lads do it for 29dollars
    http://etsairportshuttle.com/

i got that link from the port authority website on transit and transfer options
    http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airport-connections.html

it seems like you could save a few dollars by going via manhattan but it does look like a pain in the rear seeing as theres a few changes involved and takes 2 hours rather than 1 by transfer service.

Now if you wanted you could easily stop off in Manhattan for an hour or so on your way to EWR. An hour to the city, check out the new WTC building, grab a beer and then jump on the train, 45mins to the airport, all probably within a couple of blocks of the train/metro station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think you'd have time to stroll Manhatten. If you can get into manhatten before about 2 you could spend an hour wandering. At least go through it some way other than a subway train so you see some sights.

Manhattan to EWR is really easy. There's a shuttle every 15mins from the Port Authority bus station (near times square) that only takes about 30 minutes to the airport. Allow three hours from waiting for the bus to your flight and you'll be fine.

Note that cabs have some issues I believe because Newark is in New Jersey which is another state. I think they cant use their meter but have to quote a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Thanks so much guys it seems straight forward enough:D i wish i could go in and have a stroll around Manhattan but would be a bit hard with a 25 kg bag:D thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Hello,

I get you don't want to lug a bag around but you do have plenty of time to spare. I would take the airtrain at JFK to Jamacia Center and then get on the E train all the way to Penn Station.

Leave your bag in a locker if you have to and get up and explore Manhattan for an hour or get a bit to eat. You can then get to Newark Airport directly from Penn - I think the NJ Trandit comes in as far as there but not sure.

The WTC is also worth a look. The new tower is topped out and looks amazing.

yew_tree wrote: »
    The WTC is also worth a look. The new tower is topped out and looks amazing.

And easy to get to. Just take the Airtrain and then the A train to Fulton Street, get out and you'll be directly under the WTC. A 2 minute walk from there to the PATH takes you to EWR.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Thanks for all the help:D is there a form i have to fill out for me to enter the states?:D and also if i buy i phone in nyc like and iphone or S4 will i be stopped for taxes when i board my next flight on to canada?:D like its nearly as handy for me to buy the sim free phone in nyc where it is a lot cheaper then in canada. thanks again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

you need an ESTA form for entering and transiting the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The best way is to catch the airtrain to Jamica station then the Long Island Rail Road to New York Penn Station then switch there to NJ Transit direct to Newark airport. Its fastest way and the cheapest. If yiu take a bus/limo or stuttle you can get stuck in the Lincoln tunnell for a long time. The train takes around an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

...or you could take a helicopter.

:cool:

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help:D is there a form i have to fill out for me to enter the states?:D and also if i buy i phone in nyc like and iphone or S4 will i be stopped for taxes when i board my next flight on to canada?:D like its nearly as handy for me to buy the sim free phone in nyc where it is a lot cheaper then in canada. thanks again:D

ESTA form

> will i be stopped for taxes when i board my next flight on to canada?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ponster wrote: »
    And easy to get to. Just take the Airtrain and then the A train to Fulton Street, get out and you'll be directly under the WTC. A 2 minute walk from there to the PATH takes you to EWR.
    I wouldn't really advise this unless you knew where you were going, or had plenty of time to waste getting lost. PATH only goes as far as Newark Penn (which has to be the most confusing train station on the planet) where you have to get a NJ transit train to the Airtrain (make sure to get a train that actually stops at the Airtrain stop), which takes you to the airport.

I wouldn't really advise this unless you knew where you were going, or had plenty of time to waste getting lost.

As long as he has Google Maps and 4 hours to kill it shouldn't be too difficult. He could pop out at Fulton from the A, take a look at the WTC and then get back onto the A to Penn Station.

Though if he hasn't been ere before then just getting out at Penn and going for a walk would probably be easier and just as fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I wouldn't really advise this unless you knew where you were going, or had plenty of time to waste getting lost. PATH only goes as far as Newark Penn (which has to be the most confusing train station on the planet) where you have to get a NJ transit train to the Airtrain (make sure to get a train that actually stops at the Airtrain stop), which takes you to the airport.

Best bet is as I said earlier train to Penn Station then switch to the NJ Transit train that goes directly to Newark airport

Advertisement