Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need perspective!

Options
  • 23-05-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

2 weeks ago a teacher returned to my sons school after 9 years absence. He was on leave due to allegations of child sexual assault. He was in court for these charges in 2009. He was acquitted due to lack of evidence in the case of one child and later acquitted due to a hung jury with 2 other children.

I know the presumption of innocent till proven guilty and he wasn't found guilty.

But I have concerns with my kids being in his class and in the school. I want to know what you would do. We've contacted guards, HSE, school board and everyone's hands are tied.

CCTV was put into the classroom but it has been withdrawn due to a complaint to the data protection commissioner.

We were considering withdrawing our kids from the school and moving them else where. We could leave them in the school and we have to deal with the what ifs for the next 6 years.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I would withdraw my children from the school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You will not be the only concerned parent, go talk to the principal and voice your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

no names will be mentioned neither will be the school involved.

We have spoken with the principle and have written letters to the board. Our youngest son has had issues over the last few years and he has progressed so much. I'm scared that if we move him he may regress. I'm scared that if we leave him in the school something may happen. A few parents are concerned others are not bothered at all. Some say how great the man is. We are new to the area so our judgement isn't clouded by are personal experience with him.

He couldn't be fired due to being acquitted. The school has never approached the parents about the situation, first we heard was that this teacher was coming back after 9 years on leave. They will not comment further on this, the principle did say that the teacher asked for cctv to be installed in the classroom and that he would not attend swimming lessons. however is is doing the 'stay safe programme' with the children in his mixed 3rd and 4th class. The HSE have been gagged as the teacher is suing them and the guards have been gagged, we have spoken with a local td but haven't heard back from him, we have spoken to lawyers and they have said there is nothing legally they can do, however new vetting legislation is coming in, in the next year or so that might be in our favour.

News articles relating to the case:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/clare-teacher-accused-of-sexually-assaulting-three-male-pupils-416900.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/clare-teacher-acquitted-on-two-of-18-sex-assault-charges-417318.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/boys-who-accuse-teacher-of-sexual-assault-deny-misinterpreting-friendly-gestures-417028.html

http://www.clareherald.com/2009/06/clare-teacher-accused-of-sexual-assault.html

http://www.clareherald.com/2009/07/jury-discharged-in-clare-abuse-trial.html

We want what's best for our kids and i'm at a loss, the school has been great for our kids, its just I lack trust and confidence in the school and the teacher concerned. There doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do so are only options are to remove them or to leave them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Was it lack of evidence, no evidence whatsoever or some technicality that resulted in the case being dropped? Media sites/papers are not known for their accuracy or detail in reporting. Based on what is in the news articles, I think that it could be easy to misinterpret innocent tactile gestures, especially since teens are highly influenced by the 'pedo paranoia' that is rampant in society.

Without knowing more, it's hard to offer an opinion. The guy could be 100% innocent and pose no risk, or...something too horrible to think about.

All I can suggest is trying to get more information about the case via court records, perhaps even speaking to the teacher himself.

If you do leave your son in the teachers class then you need to make sure that your son knows that:
    1. He must never go anywhere alone with ANY of the teachers. He should either be with several classmates or 2 teachers.
    2. He should tell you if ANY teacher..or indeed anyone else, ever does anything that is 'strange' or uncomfortable. And assure him that he would be believed and not be in any trouble.

Advertisement