Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I have to pay for this?

Options
  • 23-05-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

When I was getting internet installed in my apartment(digiweb metro) the guy had to drill a hole in a wall with a long, thin drill, all the way from outside to inside so he could put a cable all the way through. Am I gonna be held liable for that by the landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did you get the landlords permission first? Might not be an issue if you plan on leaving the cable there when you leave. Take the cable out and you certainly will be expected to put the damage right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jim7864034

No I didn't get his permission..I didn't know the guy had to drill a hole in the wall...lol. When I was in another room he did it. Ah well if I have to pay I will...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Your lanlord doesn't own the wall the management company does.

You (rather the unit owner) would of needed their permission to make any fabric changes. Failure to do so could in theory invalidate the block insurance policy, however in this case I doubt it would. The company could request that it is removed and all damage repaired.

I imagine they wont bother though over a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd still be pretty pissed if I was the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why? It's a standard thing for cable, sky, phone, wireless BB? I'd be surprised if you haven't one or more of these yourself.

Some LL's (and I don't necessarily mean you personally - I'm talking in general) would really want to get over themselves. A small hole in a wall that can be easily patched afterwards if necessary is hardly worth getting "pissed" over - especially if you have a tenant that pays his rent on time, causes no trouble, and looks after the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

As a landlord I'd be annoyed if I wasn't asked, i.e. I would almost certainly agree to it (and have done in the past) but I would want to know what was being done, by whom and where. I'd remind the tenant to ask me next time though.

Can't see any real objection to it assuming the tenant will either leave the socket or make good any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP, check the other apartments if they have wires going into them from the outside. Some apartments ban this sort of thing, and the management are within their rights to cut the wires on the outside, and bill your landlord to fix the damaged wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I can't believe that a tenant allowed a third party to drill a hole in an external wall. As someone else said this is management company property, so it's potentially criminal damage! Depends on how heavily the MC police it but in theory not only are you in trouble with your landlord, they are then in trouble with the management company.

OP this could be a costly lesson..or you might get away with it. Either way learn the lesson. If it's not yours, don't put holes in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Why? It's a standard thing for cable, sky, phone, wireless BB? I'd be surprised if you haven't one or more of these yourself.

Some LL's (and I don't necessarily mean you personally - I'm talking in general) would really want to get over themselves. A small hole in a wall that can be easily patched afterwards if necessary is hardly worth getting "pissed" over - especially if you have a tenant that pays his rent on time, causes no trouble, and looks after the place.

Not quite so easily patched, if it goes all the way from outside to inside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Its not standard- the norm is all cables are fed into apartments from a central point up ducts. I've had the misfortune to be involved in laying cable in the past.

A small hole in the wall to the exterior can be a big deal. Normally- if doing a hole in this manner you'd put some sealant around the exterior of the hole with the cable in place, so no moisture could get in. A small hole exposed to the elements over a few Irish winters, becomes a big hole........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

3DataModem wrote: »
    Not quite so easily patched, if it goes all the way from outside to inside.

You can patch it. There is self expanding sealant you can get in any larger hard-ware outlet, specifically for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

What's on the exterior side of this cable? If there is a dish of some sort that is probably against the landlords lease with the management company, if there is you'll be liable for the cost of removing the dish and making good to the exterior walls, I wouldn't want to get hit with the cost of repainting an apartment block due to making good a few holes from a receiver.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement