Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distributing a poster

• 23-05-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭

I would be grateful for any help with this:

I have made an A4 information sheet/poster in Photoshop and have so far saved it as a jpg and also as a large photoshop pdf. I want to send it to one person who is not very computer savvy and will want to (desktop) print it, and also I want to send it by email to other people.

What would be the most suitable formats for accessibility and size for these two uses?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

PDF. That's what the format was created for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Have you got Acrobat Professional - if so you can create various size versions of your poster. If not the below might be of use. Also Primo PDF (free) is good as you can generate various quality sizes both for professional print purposes and home printing and also light ones for web use.

havent used below but might be useful if you havent Acrobat Prof.
    PDF Compressor is a free program you can download for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 that lets you quickly and effectively reduce the size of one or many PDF files.

Flatten you layers in photoshop then lower your dpi in photoshop to 72 for your email version and save it as a pdf or jpg

maringo wrote: »
    Have you got Acrobat Professional - if so you can create various size versions of your poster. If not the below might be of use. Also Primo PDF (free) is good as you can generate various quality sizes both for professional print purposes and home printing and also light ones for web use.

havent used below but might be useful if you havent Acrobat Prof.
    PDF Compressor is a free program you can download for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 that lets you quickly and effectively reduce the size of one or many PDF files.

Flatten you layers in photoshop then lower your dpi in photoshop to 72 for your email version and save it as a pdf or jpg

Photoshop can export PDFs with vector clipping paths for sharp text, flattening to 72dpi will kill that and give poor quality prints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Yep the 72 dpi version just suitable for viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks all, yes I will go with the pdf, i was trying to decide between quark and word for making the document, and word is driving me mad, so I will try quark and a pdf.

• Advertisement

Both Inkscape and Scribus are free (open source) and produce decent PDFs.

Advertisement