Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New front door

Options
  • 23-05-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Our hardwood door seems to let in draughts all over the place and we are considering replacing it with a composite door. I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to find a company that doesn't have a litany of bad reviews.

Can anyone recommend a reliable company that they have had a good experience with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

were are you located ?
    I got my door changed earlier this year and am happy to PM details of company who did the job.
    I'm in North County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Thanks Vico - living in Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

pm sent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Brooks- or even the likes of Woodies- will have many different doors in stock- along with very helpful staff who'll happily answer any questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

smccarrick wrote: »
    Brooks- or even the likes of Woodies- will have many different doors in stock- along with very helpful staff who'll happily answer any questions you may have.

to be honest I wouldn't be buying a composite door (and am pretty sure the likes of woodies don't do these anyway) from a hardware shop.

OP I had my front door replaced this year with a composite and was delighted with the work done, aswell as it being more solid and there being no draft with the frame design the triple glazing that replaced the double glazing in the old door has made a noticeable difference in the heat of our hall.

South Side supplier if you want the details PM me

• Advertisement

Thanks D3PO - PM sent.

Also not sure about buying from a hardware shop - I'm really looking for an overall service including fitting, after sales etc etc. If I am going to spend that amount of money, I need to be sure that it is a proper job.

Thanks D3PO - PM sent.

Also not sure about buying from a hardware shop - I'm really looking for an overall service including fitting, after sales etc etc. If I am going to spend that amount of money, I need to be sure that it is a proper job.

reply sent. I agree no way Id drop that much cash on a door in a hardware shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Can highly recommend Asgard Windows.

Did all the windows in our house last year. Great job and decent price.

Ask for John.

Thanks quarryman - will give them a call today

Got a number of quotes at this point - they have varied from 1900e to around 2400 for what we are looking for. Compositedoorsystems.com were the only guys who actually came out to the house (and on a Saturday too). Have to say that was definitely a plus point for me in terms of customer service. He took what I felt was a genuine interest, made some really good suggestions and really put in a good pitch without being pushy.

Haven't made any decisions yet, but so far they are the front runners

D3PO - one piece of conflicting advise I am getting is in relation to double glazed/triple glazed glass in the panels and side piece. One company told me that triple glazed glass has a tendency to condensate on the inside panel, however that was totally refuted by others. Have you had any issues with your triple glazing?

D3PO - one piece of conflicting advise I am getting is in relation to double glazed/triple glazed glass in the panels and side piece. One company told me that triple glazed glass has a tendency to condensate on the inside panel, however that was totally refuted by others. Have you had any issues with your triple glazing?

Have had no issues with condensation. Its not possible for that to happen unless the window is badly manufactured. Id discount any company that told you that immediately tbh. The clearly don't have the right level of knowledge to be supplying such an expensive product.

Re your point on companies coming out. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get people out to sit down show me samples take a measurement etc. I decided against lots of companies because they just weren't arsed doing that. They clearly don't understand customer service which should be key in these economic times.

Its the least they could do when your spending over 2 grand on a door.

• Advertisement

Fully agree. I was told by a couple of companies to come into the showrooms to see their range. I was actually a bit p*ssed off with that. I can see their range on the internet. What I actually needed was for someone to come out, see specifically what I needed, and make a pitch based on that, rather than on what they have in their showrooms.

Fully agree. I was told by a couple of companies to come into the showrooms to see their range. I was actually a bit p*ssed off with that. I can see their range on the internet. What I actually needed was for someone to come out, see specifically what I needed, and make a pitch based on that, rather than on what they have in their showrooms.

here here. I said that to one of them www.carlson.ie and they told me that they don't come out as I could be a timewaster. I was fuming. :mad:

Thanks quarryman - will give them a call today

Let us know how you get on. I actually needed to get a door done as well as my windows (we were getting lots of work done in the house) and John actually encouraged me to wait until all the other work was done as the door would just get wrecked from builders coming and going. So he talked himself out of the extra cash for selling us a door but his genuine approach meant I would be coming back to him when we did need it.

quarryman wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on. I actually needed to get a door done as well as my windows (we were getting lots of work done in the house) and John actually encouraged me to wait until all the other work was done as the door would just get wrecked from builders coming and going. So he talked himself out of the extra cash for selling us a door but his genuine approach meant I would be coming back to him when we did need it.

Hi Quarryman - was talking to John today. I have to say, although he really seemed like a good guy, he appeared more interested in talking to me about colours rather than the more practical questions that I had. Wasn't really that impressed. Again, a big minus for me was that he advised me to go into the showroom. No discussion about coming out to the house to look at my specific requirements. Maybe others have a different view, but I really don't think that a house call out is an unreasonable expectation considering the cost involved, and the fact that it is not necessarily a standard job.

Surprised at that. He came out to me, though my location might have made it easier for him, I don't know where you are based.

On his visit with me he discussed the options in terms of openings and other practical aspects. Did you actually ask him to call out? I think I did.

Well, best of luck with whatever option you go with!

quarryman wrote: »
    Surprised at that. He came out to me, though my location might have made it easier for him, I don't know where you are based.

On his visit with me he discussed the options in terms of openings and other practical aspects. Did you actually ask him to call out? I think I did.

Well, best of luck with whatever option you go with!

Maybe it was a different John...?! No, I didn't ask him to come out but he lost me pretty early on. Haven't completely written them off though - he is going to come back to me with a quote and depending on how competitive it is, I will ask him to come out.

Just in case anyone is interested, I went with these guys: http://www.compositedoorsystems.com/ Door was installed last week, and I am well happy. Price wise they were very competitive, but more importantly, they really took the time to look at what we needed and made valuable suggestions as to what would work best. Once I placed the order, they kept me updated on progress,and when it came to installation they came when they said they would, bang on time. They also put up a post box and hanging basket frame for me while they were at it.

Highly recommended.

Advertisement