Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying Light

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Does anyone actually own this game on console ;)

it really highlights the benefits of console gaming where you can turn on and get gaming without all the fuss of adjustments and patches for certain setups.

I am currently 7 hrs in at the moment and really enjoying the game.

With graphical settings turned down/off my game looks better than the PS4/x1 and runs smoother at a higher FPS :pac: I just want to get it running with everything on medium-High

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Here ya go chaps, my first funny moments video from this. Absolutely loving it at the moment. Playing only in Co-op though. Tis great craic messing about trying to blow the ****e out of each other with "things". Anyway, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

@FAILSAFE 00

The console versions are limited to 30fps. The 'fuss' people are having is that they can't get it to 60fps reliably and that the graphic settings and how they effect performance are strange.

In other words the 'fuss' of low FPS (30 and sub 30) is guaranteed on the console version, with absolutely no way to fix it or change graphic settings to suit your preference. I don't see how that's a positive highlight for modern console gaming.
    You misinterpreted my point about the positives of console gaming. I am not saying 30 FPS is better than 60 FPS. I am saying it's a great positive to turn on a game and play without fiddling with settings and troubleshooting issues.

My gaming preference is to just turn on and play without any fuss/adjustments and without being chained to a big PC. I'd take convenience over slightly better graphics any day.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    With graphical settings turned down/off my game looks better than the PS4/x1 and runs smoother at a higher FPS :pac: I just want to get it running with everything on medium-High
    Good for you :D
    I'd be the same way if I was into PC gaming, trying to optimize the game settings to get the most out of my rig but I just like to plug and play with a little bit of portability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Well said!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You misinterpreted my point about the positives of console gaming. I am not saying 30 FPS is better than 60 FPS. I am saying it's a great positive to turn on a game and play without fiddling with settings and troubleshooting issues.

Fair enough but I was replying in relation to Dying Light not about gaming overall or FPS.

The DL issue is that the PC version had bad framerates or comparable FPS to the console versions (which have now gotten patches and GPU optimisations to some extent last I read) so you saying it highlighted the benefits of consoles made zero sense in that context since they suffer from it too and with very small chance of it ever being fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Here ya go chaps, my first funny moments video from this. Absolutely loving it at the moment. Playing only in Co-op though. Tis great craic messing about trying to blow the ****e out of each other with "things". Anyway, enjoy!

There were some classics there , ''I've forgotten the button, help!!!" :D

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Great video, co-op is great in this game, I am very impressed with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

@FAILSAFE 00

The console versions are limited to 30fps. The 'fuss' people are having is that they can't get it to 60fps reliably and that the graphic settings and how they effect performance are strange.

In other words the 'fuss' of low FPS (30 and sub 30) is guaranteed on the console version, with absolutely no way to fix it or change graphic settings to suit your preference. I don't see how that's a positive highlight for modern console gaming.
    Is it just me or does the ps4 version look better than pc?

http://youtu.be/0H3CJomfdRI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Im forcing myself to finish far cy 4 before starting this, only 5 missions left to go. genuinely surprise by how good it looks on youtube videos, nightime is really really dark - as it should be!

iamtony wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the ps4 version look better than pc?

http://youtu.be/0H3CJomfdRI

It does, actually. It is a console port afterall. The most noticeable thing is the PC's DoF is too strong. Although I'm unsure why you quoted me in that post.

Someone released a mod for being able to change all the locked graphics settings for the game - I don't know much about it but hopefully it makes it possible to turn off the game's 'brown mode'.

But not so fast... because apparently if you mod this game the publisher will hit you with a DMCA https://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/2ua9rb/psa_techland_now_hates_modders_and_will_abuse_the/

They're also actively updating the game to make it unmoddable so you'll forever be stuck with brown mode and console experience if they are successful? Too bad they didn't put that time into fixing multi-GPU setups, FPS problems or making the game properly use more than one CPU core - Despite the bug fix and optimisation updates it appears people are still suffering from the same issues.

Another brown console port that I think I'll skip for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Yeah I thought it did, wasn't really trying to quote you just picking up the conversation from where it left off on the last page. It was those posts that made me look at the comparison. Not that I'm bothered by any of that stuff anyway I was just bored.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've just made it to sector zero, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find there's much more area to the game than just the starting map. It also has a nicely contrasting tone and aesthetic going on.

Im forcing myself to finish far cy 4 before starting this, only 5 missions left to go. genuinely surprise by how good it looks on youtube videos, nightime is really really dark - as it should be!
    It's really good Stone.

If you're liking Far Cry I think this will be right up your alley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I've only started it. Slightly reminiscent to the tone of Half Life 2 at the start.

I snuck up on a zombie climbing over a wall and gave him a massive boot up the hole and sent him flying. I can't see myself getting sick of this anytime soon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

It does, actually. It is a console port afterall. The most noticeable thing is the PC's DoF is too strong. Although I'm unsure why you quoted me in that post.

Someone released a mod for being able to change all the locked graphics settings for the game - I don't know much about it but hopefully it makes it possible to turn off the game's 'brown mode'.

But not so fast... because apparently if you mod this game the publisher will hit you with a DMCA https://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/2ua9rb/psa_techland_now_hates_modders_and_will_abuse_the/

They're also actively updating the game to make it unmoddable so you'll forever be stuck with brown mode and console experience if they are successful? Too bad they didn't put that time into fixing multi-GPU setups, FPS problems or making the game properly use more than one CPU core - Despite the bug fix and optimisation updates it appears people are still suffering from the same issues.

Another brown console port that I think I'll skip for the time being.

I posted the launcher workaround for the access to additional graphics options earlier in the thread.

Did you read the title of that retarded reddit link you posted. It couldnt be more sensationalistic and wrong if they added "Techland tortures kittens" they public announced they removed moddified game files to stop cheating. Im playing just fine with film grain disabled btw. Until Techland come out and say they dont want mods in the game ever I'd stop reading reddit tbh. You can get the same experience reading reddit gaming threads if you bang you head off a concrete breezeblock btw.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

You can get the same experience reading reddit gaming threads if you bang you head off a concrete breezeblock btw.

Fact.

I posted the launcher workaround for the access to additional graphics options earlier in the thread.

Did you read the title of that retarded reddit link you posted. It couldnt be more sensationalistic and wrong if they added "Techland tortures kittens" they public announced they removed moddified game files to stop cheating. Im playing just fine with film grain disabled btw. Until Techland come out and say they dont want mods in the game ever I'd stop reading reddit tbh. You can get the same experience reading reddit gaming threads if you bang you head off a concrete breezeblock btw.

I originally read about the issue on a blog and 8ch, but linked the reddit post because it listed all the other sites that were reporting on the same issue. It came up in a google search. And I actually didn't read the title :pac:

Edit: As far as I've read, the decision has likely come from WB, not Techland who have a mod-friendly posture in the past. WB also threatened legal action against Harry Potter fansites in the past ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Anyway, 'anti-cheating' outside of actual tournament-ready competitive games has never really curved cheating, only limited what people can do with the game like CoD FoV change being unmodifiable and actually considered a cheat. I can only hope this doesn't happen to DL as I think I might pick it up a few weeks/ months down the line if/when my friends start playing. Co Op seems like it has potential and even more so with cool mods.

Anyway, the game is great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

It's really good Stone.

If you're liking Far Cry I think this will be right up your alley.

My favourite game on the Xbox easily Stone, I assume you have it through the game sharing so get on as soon as possible as there is a few of us playing it via co-op at the minute and its a great craic! The music is like something from an 80's horror movie or more recently the movie Drive and the atmosphere is fantastic! The parkour and combat elements of the game are brilliantly done, you will really enjoy this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Any good deals on this at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It's only out, i doubt there's any deals yet. Only "deal" i can think is to get it from USPSN if you're on ps4. Don't know about pc or xone

Cotts72 wrote: »

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=dyinglight

http://www.cheapshark.com/search?q=dyinglight

Nothin' too attractive - Checked key re-sellers and still nothing really below 40 quid. It'll be €30 or less in about a month or so from now I'm guessing - will probably have some more mods and optimisations done it too... or the whole DMCA controversy plays out.

Edit:

€32.35 from http://inexus.eu/dying-light/steam-cd-key-eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Just wondering how many have found the EXPcalibur sword? Obviously overpowered but with limited use, its still the first weapon I found that's really satisfying just slicing a group of zombies heads clean off. The 3000xp is also handy :)

Just wondering how many have found the EXPcalibur sword? Obviously overpowered but with limited use, its still the first weapon I found that's really satisfying just slicing a group of zombies heads clean off. The 3000xp is also handy :)

O yeah, i forgot about that. It's on that bit of an island, right? Seen it on YouTube and forgot all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

hallo dare wrote: »
    O yeah, i forgot about that. It's on that bit of an island, right? Seen it on YouTube and forgot all about it

Yeah that's the one. On a small island to the south the tower you start in. Quite handy as you can get it right at the start of the game. You have to hold down the pickup button (square on PS4) for around 3 minutes to finally pull it out!

tony1980 wrote: »
    My favourite game on the Xbox easily Stone, I assume you have it through the game sharing so get on as soon as possible as there is a few of us playing it via co-op at the minute and its a great craic! The music is like something from an 80's horror movie or more recently the movie Drive and the atmosphere is fantastic! The parkour and combat elements of the game are brilliantly done, you will really enjoy this!

I finished far cry this evening canto, probably going to dive into this tomorrow evening:)

I finished far cry this evening canto, probably going to dive into this tomorrow evening:)
    Very good.

FYI, there is a prologue to play through first before co-op unlocks. Its about 45 minutes.

Very good.

FYI, there is a prologue to play through first before co-op unlocks. Its about 45 minutes.

lol, it might be tuesday before ye see me so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The night is nasty to play through but gives a great rush :pac:

Advertisement