Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping bag for wild camping this weekend.

Options
  • 23-05-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi,
    We're going wild camping for the weekend in the Comeraghs.
    Can't decide whether to bring my down bag or a lighter synthetic bag and a liner.
    Has anybody here camped up the mountains very recently and what were temperatures like? What type sleeping bag did you use?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd go synthetic bag + liner. Very high chance of bag getting wet in Ireand, when Down stops working. you can always remove liner if it;s too warm.....

Eating a good heavy/rich meal for supper goes a long way to a keeping you warm
    something with plenty of carbs and oil/fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Synthetic bag definitely for wild camping. As Carawaystick said Down can/will get wet and then it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Expected ground frost over the coming nights too. Err on the side of caution...Better to be too warm than too cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

I have a waterproof stuff sack for my down bag and all my gear in my rucksack in another large drybag. Not bivvying (Using a good quality tent - Terra Nova Voyager). Would you still be concerned about down bag getting wet?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

It might get damp with condensation but not wet inside a tent. Hang it out for a couple of days (garage or somewhere indoors) when you get home.
    Going wild camping up in Wicklow today, down bag......wouldn't use anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Just to let ye know.
    The whole wild camping weekend was a great success.
    Got dropped in Clonmel on Saturday morning and traversed (most of) the Comeraghs to get picked up in Micilins bar in Kilrossanty on Sunday evening.
    Found a great isolated spot to camp Saturday night with fresh drinkable water.
    Cooked up a real nice dinner and enjoyed with wine from my Sigg.
    Used my down sleeping bag to sleep. Kept dry inside rucksack and tent and was super cosy, actually a little bit too warm and had to open up zip.
    Loads of midges and some other big winged buggers but they didn't seem to hang around too long.
    Thanks for your advices one way or another.

Advertisement