Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook gaming

• 23-05-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Picked myself up a Dell Mini Inspiron, with Win7 starter. Can get a few games running, but just wondering if any of you guys do any gaming on your netbooks? If so, whats games have you got running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Had a netbook back in the day. I only really played some Wow on it and a few older PC games I had lying around like Morrowind and Postal 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I have Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament on an old laptop of mine. I also have some stuff from online stores on it, light games like Uplink, Darwinia, the Hacker Evolution series and Dungeons of Dredmor to name a few. I also played Thief 2 and System Shock 2 on it and they were well suited to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

also look at emulation-megadrive,snes and MAME

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Never been huge into playing games on laptops in general, but if I did it would be simulation based games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GOG.com

Yay old games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

go to kongregate.com for a ton of flash games, some excellent

some of the older civilisation games (civ 2!)

Indie games - world of goo, super meatboy, plants vs zombies, terrania, and so on

More modern puzzle/story games, e.g. Monkey Island rehash

Here's a lengthy list
    http://gamingbolt.com/100-games-to-play-on-your-netbook-or-home-computer/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've been playing games on a semi decent 11" laptop lately. It's an i3 with a HD4000, so while it can't play new titles, anything from 5+ years ago is fine. Lately, i've been going through some of the GOG catalogue, and playing (replaying) some of their classics. Planescape, Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and loads of others will work perfectly on any laptop/netbook from the last 5 year.

Also, as above...SNES and N64 games are great to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You'd be surprised what they can play.

Mainly focus on old SNES and n64 emulators but old school games like Baldurs Gates, Icewind Dale run perfectly. Oh the Commandos series as well. You can get away with shooters like Half Life, Deus Ex.

Netbooks are awesome to get a gaming fix on the move but obviously, you're still quite limited with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

There's a space rangers 2 reboot coming out soon. Used to play it to death on the long commute to Scotland. Most of the games are absolute gems on GoG, turn based strategy games are perfect for laptop gaming, especially for travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Like laptops, netbooks vary hugely in specification, so it's hard to just blanket them all in the same category. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the games mentioned are classics, but they'd run on 10-12 year old laptops. I can play the likes of Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 2, Company of Heroes, Fallout 3, Counter Strike Source etc on mine, it's 2 years old, c50 with HD6250. If you had an I3 with integrated HD3000 or 4000, it'd be as good if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Im been playing max payne, driver, tomb raider 2. Lots of old classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

segasega wrote: »
    Im been playing max payne, driver, tomb raider 2. Lots of old classics.

you are in for a treat if you want to play PC classics.

Go to GOG and go mad.

Jaged alliance 2 and 2.5
    Fallout 2 and maybe tactics
    Heroes 3 and 4
    Beyond good an Evil
    Carmageddon 2
    System shock 2
    Seriuos sam 1 and 2

edit:
    Settlers 3
    Red alert 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »

What's the story with this remake? Is it good? As I never played it. I was always settlers 3 fanboy. Plus I really really love settlers 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Having a netbook is what made me start playing Fallout and Planescape: Torment, so glad I have played them. Another suggestion is Heroes of Might and Magic 3, brilliant game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What's the story with this remake? Is it good? As I never played it. I was always settlers 3 fanboy. Plus I really really love settlers 7.

Mostly a graphical update (admittedly a 7 year old one). I think there's an extra map or two. The internet matchmaking doesn't work anymore. Both it and the original are the same price on GOG, I'd just go with the updated version unless you've a preference for retro graphics.

The game, well it was one of my first very serious strategy games, as opposed to more lightweight stuff like Panzer General. So I'm very fond of it, it's also usually regarded as superior to III because III was when they removed the road network from the game which removes a lot of micromanagement but also a lot of the kind of optimisation that you'd expect from this kind of economic simulator.

Advertisement