Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB, Gas bills for a studio flat

Options
  • 23-05-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm about decide to take a studio apartment in Dublin south on my own. I was told that the heating in on gas, so there will be three bills-ESB & Gas + UPC. I am kind of afraid the cost of the bill on my own. so just want to see if anyone has any ideas how much the bills would be roughly for studios? Cooker is electricity, shower is from immersion/heating so not electric. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends on a number of factors- not least of which is the energy rating (BER rating) of the residence.

Typically- UPC- Regular cable TV, Broadband and home phone with virtually unlimited call- about EUR46 a month.

ESB- is bi-monthly, and could well be 100-140 depending on your usage patterns.

Gas- well that depends on the weather, the building's energy rating- and what you consider a normal indoor temperture to be. In the winter you could well spend 200-250 per bimonthly bill, in the summer it may be nothing at all (though lets be reasonable, this is Ireland).

Re your shower. It may be heated from the heating- however, it will have an electrical override- so you can heat water, without turning on the heating. This is what most of us do during the summer.

If you have aircon for summer use- this is a massive user of electricity- running it overnight can easily hit Eur 1.50/2 a night

Your UPC can be minimised by not taking their TV offerings, or their phone- or only taking a cutdown package- they have good special offers- check their website out.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dublin2000

140 ESB & 200 GAS for a tiny studio??

dublin2000 wrote: »

In the wintertime. Probably no gas bill at all in the summer. EUR70 a month for electricity sounds pretty reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

dublin2000 wrote: »

why come on asking for insight and then questioning the answer. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Also factor in how you're going to dry your clothes if you don't have access to a clothesline. Your lease may forbid drying clothes on a balcony. Tumble driers eat electricity, but you may find that you have to use one, especially for heavier items such as towels. In a tiny studio flat it's not healthy to rely on indoor heat to dry clothes either.

• Advertisement

Also keep in mind- these are bimonthly bills.

D3PO wrote: »
    why come on asking for insight and then questioning the answer. ???

I'm not questioning, i'm just shocked.:)

Also factor in how you're going to dry your clothes if you don't have access to a clothesline. Your lease may forbid drying clothes on a balcony. Tumble driers eat electricity, but you may find that you have to use one, especially for heavier items such as towels. In a tiny studio flat it's not healthy to rely on indoor heat to dry clothes either.

There is no dryer in the studio :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I live alone in a two bed apartment I have signed up to one electricity provider who allows me to pay a set amount every month (currently 64 euro), this allows me to know exactly what is going out every month - no surprises. I also just refuse to use the gas heating to keep my costs down. Granted, yes when it's really really cold out I will turn it on for a hour or so, but generally spring - autumn it is never on and if I'm feeling a bit chilly I put on a jumper rather than turn on the heating.

You have to be responsible for your own usage. If you don't want to have high bills, then don't use the utilities all the time or at all (if you have the choice like me) Thankfully, my apartment is never 'freezing' so I can get away with not turning on the heating, other apartments may not be able to do that.
    Don't leave lights on or stuff plugged in/on standby if you're not using them

I dry my clothes in the spare room and I leave the window open slightly to let in fresh air so there isn't a smell of damp clothes. Invest in a good clothes horse if you need to dry your clothes that way and make sure the studio is well ventilated to avoid that horrid damp smell that can arise.

Advertisement