Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a suit in Dublin

Options
  • 23-05-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I am entering into that phase in life where weddings are coming up thick and fast. I have two coming up in the next 3 months.

I am looking to spend approx €350 on a suit/suits but before I set out around Dublin does anyone have any tips?

Where would you buy a suit in the big smoke? Any places to avoid? Has anyone ever purchased suits online?

Be great to get some help and advice,

Thanks in advance,

Con
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Kildare Village, Savile Company was pretty good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Try Arnotts and The Suitbale Company http://www.suitablecompany.com/Map_new.aspx Above all, get it tailored to fit you. Both these places offer tailoring services.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MrCbee

Thanks Guys, Appreciate the tips. I'll take a look this weekend.

@Twee. I agree, tailoring makes a bad suit look good and a great suit look amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Sorry to hijack this thread, I figured the forum could without yet another suit thread.

I'm buying a suit for upcoming medical exams, and for interviews etc in years to come. My budget isn't massive (probably €200 max). I've heard recommendations on here for suitable company, and M&S. Just wanted to hear if anyone had opinions on Next? Been looking around their website and like the look of some stuff (http://www.nextdirect.com/ie/en/shopping/men/tailoring/11/5).

Also, how much roughly are we talking about to get an off the rack suit tailored to fit? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, I figured the forum could without yet another suit thread.

I'm buying a suit for upcoming medical exams, and for interviews etc in years to come. My budget isn't massive (probably €200 max). I've heard recommendations on here for suitable company, and M&S. Just wanted to hear if anyone had opinions on Next? Been looking around their website and like the look of some stuff (http://www.nextdirect.com/ie/en/shopping/men/tailoring/11/5).

Also, how much roughly are we talking about to get an off the rack suit tailored to fit? Thanks.

How much alterations will cost is the same as how long is a piece of string, depends on the fit you buy and your own shape.

At the very least I'd make sure your suit sleeves aren't hanging by your knuckles and your tousers don't break so much that the fabric folds over itself around your ankles.

Typically though I pay:

Sleeve shortening - 20E
    Trouser hemming - 12E
    Seat adjustment - 10-15E
    Leg opening taper - 15E
    Waist/Chest taken in - 20E

There are other things they can do but I usually have a combination of the above done depending on what's wrong with the suit. On average I'd say 50E per suit but I'm fussier than most.

I can't comment on Next as I've never bought one of their suits but that one is entirely unsuitable for a professional interview; it's got a check pattern and peaked lapels.

I'd try and get your budget to 250E, then shop around for a pure wool suit from one of Twee's recommendations (though Arnotts is probably out with your budget) or M&S. Aim to get the suit for 200E, leaving 50E for alterations.

If you can't get a pure wool for that price then settle for a wool/poly blend (check the care label if you can't tell by touch).

Definitely get it tailored though as Twee suggests, it will make the difference. I'd argue against Arnotts tailoring though, they charged me 40E to have the sleeves shortened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Sugar Free wrote: »
    How much alterations will cost is the same as how long is a piece of string, depends on the fit you buy and your own shape.

At the very least I'd make sure your suit sleeves aren't hanging by your knuckles and your tousers don't break so much that the fabric folds over itself around your ankles.

Typically though I pay:

Sleeve shortening - 20E
    Trouser hemming - 12E
    Seat adjustment - 10-15E
    Leg opening taper - 15E

There are other things they can do but I usually have a combination of the above done depending on what's wrong with the suit. On average I'd say 50E per suit but I'm fussier than most.

I can't comment on Next as I've never bought one of their suits but that one is entirely unsuitable for a professional interview; it's got a check pattern and peaked lapels.

I'd try and get your budget to 250E, then shop around for a pure wool suit from one of Twee's recommendations (though Arnotts is probably out with your budget) or M&S. Aim to get the suit for 200E, leaving 50E for alterations.

If you can't get a pure wool for that price then settle for a wool/poly blend (check the care label if you can't tell by touch).

Definitely get it tailored though as Twee suggests, it will make the difference. I'd argue against Arnotts tailoring though, they charged me 40E to have the sleeves shortened!

Learning all the time. Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Sugar Free wrote: »

Typically though I pay:

Sleeve shortening - 20E
    Trouser hemming - 12E
    Seat adjustment - 10-15E
    Leg opening taper - 15E

Just interested as to why you think this is unsuitable for an interview?
    Possibly the check pattern I get, but the peaked lapels aswell?
    To me it looks quite fashionable for an interview. But maybe should just a plain suit for interview?
    Not saying you're wrong, I may have worn a too modern/fashionable suit to my last interview! (even though I got the job!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

dendof wrote: »
    Just interested as to why you think this is unsuitable for an interview?
    Possibly the check pattern I get, but the peaked lapels aswell?
    To me it looks quite fashionable for an interview. But maybe should just a plain suit for interview?
    Not saying you're wrong, I may have worn a too modern/fashionable suit to my last interview! (even though I got the job!)

The more conservative the better for a professional interview. A solid a.k.a. no pattern and dark coloured suit with no aspects that would be found elsewhere is the safest option.

E.g. peaked lapels on a non-double breasted jacket, brightly coloured buttons or different coloured trim stitched into the lapels etc.

If it's an interview for a conservative organisation or profession (I'm making the assumption interviews for medical SHO's/Intern's are) then fashionable shouldn't come into it, rather timeless style.

Of course, there are no doubt employers who either wouldn't notice or care about these things but why take the chance if you're made aware of it beforehand?

Congrats on the job btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

A Neurotic wrote: »

I had the exact same budget a year and a half ago, and looked in the places that have been mentioned. I got mine in best menswear, found one I liked (think it was on sale) found them really helpful, they don't tailor themselves in-store, they sent me down to an alterations place to get my jacket taken in a little as I'm tall and skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but it seems I've dropped a few sizes since I last had to wear a suit. Discovered my existing one is too baggy so need a new one for Tuesday.

Where is the best place (preferably around Jervis/O'Connell St) to get a suit less than €200 (and maybe tailor it there and then, or I can pop off to a tailors, although time is limited!)

Any sales on? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

You might have to pay a bit more than that in fairness; any suit less than 200 quid is not going to be worth wearing.

Having said that, M&S have decent suits for about €260.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

You might have to pay a bit more than that in fairness; any suit less than 200 quid is not going to be worth wearing.

Having said that, M&S have decent suits for about €260.

Any advice on where to buy a good slim fit suit? Budget of about €400 - €500.

I know most of the advice is to buy a nice suit and then get it tailored but I got a suit tailored recently and I still don't really like the fit (Probably says more about the tailor tbh).

I don't want to go to the likes of top man etc. and I already have an M&S suit.

Easy Rod wrote: »

I know most of the advice is to buy a nice suit and then get it tailored but I got a suit tailored recently and I still don't really like the fit (Probably says more about the tailor tbh).

Someone mentioned to me before that Louis Copeland are having a sale, so perhaps there?

Easy Rod wrote: »

Suitsupply. Best suits out there, for the price. Only catch: no store in Ireland. But you can order online and they do free delivery and returns, so if you don't like it or it doesn't fit, you send it right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Suitsupply. Best suits out there, for the price. Only catch: no store in Ireland. But you can order online and they do free delivery and returns, so if you don't like it or it doesn't fit, you send it right back.

Sorry yeah, I saw your reply in the other thread shortly after my post.

I think i'll give them a shot though.

hmm, I could see a lot of problems with this, I think a suit is really something that you need to try before you buy as there are so many subtle variations unlike, say, buying a pair of shoes where you might just need to go up/down a size.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

mrcheez wrote: »
    hmm, I could see a lot of problems with this, I think a suit is really something that you need to try before you buy as there are so many subtle variations unlike, say, buying a pair of shoes where you might just need to go up/down a size.

I'm going to second Suitsupply although I haven't bought a suit supply suit online I would recommend the brand. They are in my and many other people's opinions the best suit brand from budget to made to measure. I have tried on suitsupply suits and been in the shops and the quality is excellent. I also know loads of people who have suitsuppply suits and been happy with them.

If you are ordering on line I would adivse you measure yourself or get your tailor to measure you. Then purchase the suit online if it arrives and fits or even if it needs some tailoring as all suit will keep it. If it doesn't fit then you can just return it as far as I know they offer free returns.

You mentioned you have an M&S suit already; therefore I'd say you're good to go with whatever size that suit is.

For example, the 40L or 42L (with adjustments) fit me from M&S; the Suitsupply Soho and Napoli lines in 42L were perfect. I had a slight tweak done to the Soho jacket to let it out a bit, as it was double breasted and I'm quite broad shouldered. They are quite light on the shoulders though, those particular ones, so if you aren't broad then you might want something with a bit more padding.

There's enough variations in styles; shorter jackets, longer jackets; most are cut slim and modern so you can't go wrong really. I'd say go for it!

Advertisement