Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Plan- Market Analysis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

There is alot of useful information on the cso website.

ISME also do a good deal of research and have reports on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

SME market analysis? What do you mean?
    Banking needs?
    Market for printing?
    Profitability?

You question is up there with the length of a piece of string, even ISME don't know the answer to that!
    What are you trying to find out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackpension

I think your focus is very broad. And your post is uninformative.

My suggestion is that you first define market more concretely so you can perform a more focused market analysis. As part of this I would talk to potential customers in defining the market.

In terms of data sources, I can't see the CSO being very useful. I suggest that you go to a university library that have databases for market studies.

I think your focus is very broad. And your post is uninformative.

My suggestion is that you first define market more concretely so you can perform a more focused market analysis. As part of this I would talk to potential customers in defining the market.

In terms of data sources, I can't see the CSO being very useful. I suggest that you go to a university library that have databases for market studies.

CSO actually have quite detailed information on SME's in Ireland I have used it before on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bizwomangalway

Thank you all for your replies; I am looking for a general overview of the SME (Small-Medium Enterprises) in Ireland. Broadly how many are operating in Ireland, as my service will relate to all types of business. Also where would I find information on the sector which I am in, which is ICT. All suggestions are appreciated with thanks.

• Advertisement

CSO has a report on broadband and sme's.
    I did a study on exactly that 2 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Really not sure how such data can be of use when it comes to selling a specific product or service.
    I sell paper clips, every business uses paper clips . There are x000,000 small businesses in Ireland employing 1 or more people. Even if I have cso type data, what use is it to me? What it do need to establish is how can I identify those eneterprises that buy large quantities of paper clips. Macro data and market data are completely different beasts.

Sorry if I seem to completely miss the relevant use of the data available. If you have something to sell, you need market research to identify the most likely/lucrative market segments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackpension

Really not sure how such data can be of use when it comes to selling a specific product or service.
    I sell paper clips, every business uses paper clips . There are x000,000 small businesses in Ireland employing 1 or more people. Even if I have cso type data, what use is it to me? What it do need to establish is how can I identify those eneterprises that buy large quantities of paper clips. Macro data and market data are completely different beasts.

Sorry if I seem to completely miss the relevant use of the data available. If you have something to sell, you need market research to identify the most likely/lucrative market segments.

Peter makes great sense. And is exactly what my post was about too.
    You need to hone into who your target customer is - and then figure out how many of those customers exist in a particular geographic location.

CSO will give you, as Peter says, a macro overview - you need more nuanced insights.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 robertdoyle

I personally find marketline and euromonitor to be among the best sources for such information. They will provide you with far more concise data specific to your industry, product and location. There is no point only looking at SME's in general, what you need to do is look at your direct target or niche market while also looking at the economic status of the country also. This will give you a better grip of your market position. As the guys say, macro data and market data are completely different beasts.

Advertisement