Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clean a barbecue

Options
  • 23-05-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is wrong forum mods feel free to move

Anyone have any opinions on what the best product to clean a barbecue fast is?

Looking for a chemical product that will dissolve the grease so the scrubbing is reduced to a minimum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Personally, I clean my BBQ once a year at the start of the season. I get a load of lemons, cut them in half & then scrub the inner surfaces & grill bars & plates leaving a thick coat of juice/grease all over.

I leave for 30 mins, then fire it up (it is run on gas) & let it burn on the highest flame for 15 minutes. A quick run over all of the surfaces with a wire brush & away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Personally, I clean my BBQ once a year at the start of the season. I get a load of lemons, cut them in half & then scrub the inner surfaces & grill bars & plates leaving a thick coat of juice/grease all over.

I leave for 30 mins, then fire it up (it is run on gas) & let it burn on the highest flame for 15 minutes. A quick run over all of the surfaces with a wire brush & away you go.

Sounds very snazzy.

Or I could loan you my dog.

Guaranteed squeaky clean every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lemons - Tesco

Special Offer 3 pack net valid from 20/5/2013 until 2/6/2013

59c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Oven Pride is the best thing I've found for cleaning ovens & bbqs. You stick the grill trays into the bag, pour in about half the bottle, seal it, give it a shake and leave it for a few hours. After that, you can pretty much rinse the trays clean. Pour the other half into the barbie itself, wipe it around, leave for the same amount of time, come back and rinse/wipe clean. Virtually no scrubbing required at all and you could be in the bath/having a beer/scratching your arse while the stuff is actually working its magic.

It's often on special in Aldi, think it's about a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Lidl have an own brand W5 degreaser, comes in an orange spray bottle, only a few euros and its does a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I use my pressure washer. Does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Get a couple of large onions, slice in half. Spear them with your BBQ fork & light BBQ.

Rub the grills with it. Natural antiseptic properties of the onion combined with the acid & heat do a great job.

Personally though, I just light it have it up high closed for about fifteen minutes. Nothing can survive that heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

A friend of mine told me this one, apparently an Australian chef he worked with told him.

Fill (near full, don't burst it) a two litre plastic bottle with water and freeze it solid. Light the BBQ and let it get good and hot. Cut the large block of ice out of the bottle. Have an adult help you with the scissors/knife/machete!

Rub the hot grill with ice, apparently it works well? I'll try it if we get a nice day this year and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Could try soaking grill trays in coke, cheap 55c for 2L cola would be fine. You might have flat dregs of 2L bottles about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Oven Pride is the best thing I've found for cleaning ovens & bbqs. You stick the grill trays into the bag, pour in about half the bottle, seal it, give it a shake and leave it for a few hours. After that, you can pretty much rinse the trays clean. Pour the other half into the barbie itself, wipe it around, leave for the same amount of time, come back and rinse/wipe clean. Virtually no scrubbing required at all and you could be in the bath/having a beer/scratching your arse while the stuff is actually working its magic.

It's often on special in Aldi, think it's about a fiver.
    This ^^^ I used it on my oven trays, and it's truly magical stuff. All the baked on cr@p just ends up as a nasty brown jelly like sludge in the bottom of the bag.

BTW Oven Pride is the 'original' version that you can get in places like Tesco's etc, the cheaper Aldi version was called Oven Brite, but is exactly the same to all intents and purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

People clean bbq's?

I just fill her up with coals, like up to the grill, so the coals are about 1cm from the grill, and light it.
    Fire kills all germs.
    Fire burns away grease.
    Fire, fire, fire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Is it gas of charcoal?

If gas just put on full blast with cover down and let it self clean for 20/30 mins.

Then scrub grates wire brush and final rub with damp bbq scourer after it cools down a little.

Your BBQ grates should always be nice and clean before cooking anything on them so invest in a decent BBQ wire brush and replace when it wears down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zulu wrote: »
    People clean bbq's?

I just fill her up with coals, like up to the grill, so the coals are about 1cm from the grill, and light it.
    Fire kills all germs.
    Fire burns away grease.
    Fire, fire, fire!!!

Yeah, I'm amazed it took so many comments before someone said this. The only thing I use to clean it is a wire brush. It gets rid of any properly caked in grease. I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to get it super spick and span

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It depends on what the grills are made of.
    Mine are cast iron so before I use it, I oil the grills before heating it up.
    Then after, if there is any stuck on food, I give them a light scrub with a wire brush , oil them again and leave it to cool down. Never needs any more claening than that. Cast iron needs a seasoning to be non stick - the burnt on oil is this seasoning.

If you have stainless steel grills, I guess you might want them looking clean but a hot fire will leave them safe to cook on.

Advertisement