Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog attacked me ( no injuries ! )

• 23-05-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

What do I do if the owner of a vicious dog doesn't care about that dogs behaviour ?

I was walking my dog ( a soft friendly bichon ) tonight on the ballysimon road, and a dog latched onto her thigh. He was hiding behind a parked car. He wasn't huge, maybe a foot and a half tall - but he wouldn't let her go ... I kicked and punched him, and eventually picked him up by the scruff, he released my dog and started snapping at me. When I dropped him, he latched onto my foot - lucky I was wearing docs !

I dropped my dog home and called to the house that owns him, and the lady owners only answer was " what can I do ? He's never out. "

This particular dog has already bitten a disabled lad in the neighbourhood and that lads dad got no joy either.

No injuries suffered ( just a very upset doggy now here at home ). Amazed she hasn't visible injuries, maybe the thick fur saved her.

Anyway ... what now ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The dog warden, and give details of the lad who was bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

How do I contact the dog warden ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

City Council or ISPCA. Ring them first thing in the morning and give full details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dog attacked your dog and also attacked you?

Gardai need to be your first port of call. Then the dog warden although the gardai may bring them ito itthemselves.

Roxboro Gardai deal with that area afaik - 061 214340

If you want to report it, then you will have to give a proper statement etc.

The enviromental section in Limerick city council is 061- 407190 and the dog pound is 061- 301604.

As a dog owner it makes my blood boil to hear of irresponsible owners who leave an animal that will attack other dogs and/or people out loose.

Would get your own dog checked out by a vet as puncture wounds from a bite are not always easy to find/spot on breeds with thick fur and it would not be worth the risk of your own dog getting a bad infection from a missed bite wound.

Cheers guys ... not in my nature to run to authorities ... but I'm absolutely furious !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cheers guys ... not in my nature to run to authorities ... but I'm absolutely furious !

Not in your nature? That dog could be a danger to other people and their pets. Cop on and make a quick report of it before someone else ends up worse off than you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭endacl

http://bit.ly/10WfyCL

Looks like a visit to Roxboro so tomorrow morning ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I dropped my dog home and called to the house that owns him, and the lady owners only answer was " what can I do ? He's never out. "

Some people don't deserve to keep animals

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

"Cheers guys ... not in my nature to run to authorities ... but I'm absolutely furious ! "

As a mum of small children and a dog lover I'd have no issue with reporting a dog's owner in a heart beat if I felt a dog was roaming unattended, in danger of being harmed or of harming others (particularly children)
    I think its the responsible thing for you to do to report this owner.
    I love dogs but they can be lethal if not controlled properly as we have sadly seen many times in the media....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would tell her you are going to report her to both the gardai and the warden first unless the dog is kept in, It's not the dogs fault it is out and it will suffer the cost with it's life due to her stupidity and she will get off with a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Problem is that any filth is allowed have a dog.

- And even more disturbingly, it seems, also a baby.....

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Raiser wrote: »
    Problem is that any filth is allowed have a dog.

- And even more disturbingly, it seems, also a baby.....
    I agree that dogs should be kept under control.. But maybe you would like to define what you regard as ''filth'' in this context?

coolhull wrote: »
    I agree that dogs should be kept under control.. But maybe you would like to define what you regard as ''filth'' in this context?

Please clarify. Which bit are you struggling with? All of our sour society without exception of any kind on any basis is allowed to own a dog or have a baby.

If you are wondering who I would consider as filth then a swift perusal of the daily papers would give you a great indication.

Regardless I was just making a stark point.

- I do sense your disapproval BTW - Perhaps your undoubtedly well-meant PC conscience and efforts might be put to better use further removed from your faux leather couch (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Please clarify. Which bit are you struggling with? All of our sour society without exception of any kind on any basis is allowed to own a dog or have a baby.

If you are wondering who I would consider as filth then a swift perusal of the daily papers would give you a great indication.

Regardless I was just making a stark point.

- I do sense your disapproval BTW - Perhaps your undoubtedly well-meant PC conscience and efforts might be put to better use further removed from your faux leather couch (?)
    I have found in the past that people who don't have a proper argument to back up their case often resort to personal abuse. At first I thought maybe you were putting forward a serious point for discussion.
    Ah well, I should have known better...

Mod Post: Raiser and Coolhull: Next person who tries to leave a bit of bait for the other gets a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Happened to me a few times when walking the dog, generally a shout works but if not, turn and kick, turn and kick.

phill106 wrote: »
    Happened to me a few times when walking the dog, generally a shout works but if not, turn and kick, turn and kick.

Wow - Your poor dog..... (Joking)

- Anyone else disturbed by the amount of Pitbulls out and about with no muzzle? Only thing they seem to have going for these dogs is a jaw that could snap a railway sleeper and some pimply inbred knacker on the wrong end of their chain.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

just suppose you hear the same dog is after attaching a toddler in a buggy and maiming him for life

guardai and/or dog warden
    sry if this is repeat advise haven't time to read full thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Wow - Your poor dog..... (Joking)

- Anyone else disturbed by the amount of Pitbulls out and about with no muzzle? Only thing they seem to have going for these dogs is a jaw that could snap a railway sleeper and some pimply inbred knacker on the wrong end of their chain.....

Pitbulls are lovely dogs there is nothing wrong with them and all that nonsense about their jaws is rubbish. I had a huge pit and the only thing you would be in danger of was being licked to death. They are bred to be loyal and non-human aggressive so the scum that exploit their loyal personality can handle them in the "pit". They also aren't dog aggressive by nature unless unsocialized and even then no more so than any other dog that hasn't been properly socialized they are strong though and they re not for everyone because they are very intelligent and will challenge their owner if they don't respect you.
    I also have a pitXstaff which i don't even need a lead to walk she stayed right by my side and sits at my feet when she sees or hears a car.

• Advertisement

juice1304 wrote: »
    Pitbulls are lovely dogs there is nothing wrong with them and all that nonsense about their jaws is rubbish. I had a huge pit and the only thing you would be in danger of was being licked to death. They are bred to be loyal and non-human aggressive so the scum that exploit their loyal personality can handle them in the "pit". They also aren't dog aggressive by nature unless unsocialized and even then no more so than any other dog that hasn't been properly socialized they are strong though and they re not for everyone because they are very intelligent and will challenge their owner if they don't respect you.
    I also have a pitXstaff which i don't even need a lead to walk she stayed right by my side and sits at my feet when she sees or hears a car.

Would have to agree with all of the above. "Bad" dogs of any breed tend to be created by irresponsible owners. Most of the headline grabbing dog breeds tend to be breeds with fantastic natural dispositions and it takes a seriously toxic enviroment for those breeds to become a genuine danger.

Have a large dog myself (a Boerboel ) and he is one of the most social and cheeky dogs I have ever met. He is my second large dog ( My first dog passed away some years before I got Donar), and like any large uber energetic and intelligent dog he needed the right training from the get go and well as being socialized from when he was a pup. But the hard work that goes into raising a dog, any dog, properly is paid back in spades by the great pal you get in return. I can never understand the mindset of those that get a dog so they have a weapon or something to attack other dogs just as I cannot understand people who get a dog as a pet and then expect the dog to train itself.

Advertisement